Collector or Reader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collector or Reader?

I’m definitely a reader. I have tons of paperback books that I’m perfectly happy with. I have to have a strong connection with a book before I’ll lay money out for it and it really has to be great for me to purchase a special edition. So I would class myself as a reader who collects, lightly. And at that, I sometimes lay out money that, at times, makes me cringe.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I’m definitely a reader. I have tons of paperback books that I’m perfectly happy with. I have to have a strong connection with a book before I’ll lay money out for it and it really has to be great for me to purchase a special edition. So I would class myself as a reader who collects, lightly. And at that, I sometimes lay out money that, at times, makes me cringe.
    I'm a reader and a collector because I read all the books I collect. I think hard core collectors would certainly have issue with me handling the signed books however, at least in my opinion, books are meant to be read.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Reader first. Collector a close second. The weird thing about the term collector is that if you buy small press books, people seem to automatically label you as collector, even though most of my small press purchases are not "because" it is a limited edition, but rather because it is the ONLY edition. SubPress' Brian Lumley collections, Peter Beagle Best of, various other author big story collections......same with CD's Secretary of Dreams....author story collections....Legacies!!! The small press editions are the only editions. Of course, I am not complaining as I do so LOVE thos editions!!! LOL!!
      Last edited by bsaenz24; 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Definitely both!
        Oh, and I agree: handle those limited editions; that's what they're for. Not to be left in some box, hoping for an increase in value.
        Yuck!

sk

Comment

I will say reader first because story always comes first. There is no point in spending extra money for a limited book with bells and whistles if the story doesn't grab you. I also have no problem with buying used paperbacks over limiteds if that is what my budget allows. Either way I will get a great story (which is why I'd be buying the book in the first place).

That said limited editions can be great, I bought the gift edition of Full Dark, No Stars from CD over the bookstore trade because I knew it'd be a better book, I was going to buy it anyway, and I liked the illustrations.

I also like what Brad says regarding small press limited editions. They are the publishers putting out the stories I want to read. CD is the publisher putting out SOD, the shivers series, October Dreams, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
            Reader first. Collector a close second. The weird thing about the term collector is that if you buy small press books, people seem to automatically label you as collector, even though most of my small press purchases are not "because" it is a limited edition, but rather because it is the ONLY edition. . . .
            Exactly . . . and I've gathered some very collectable books (such as Richard Laymon's A WRITER'S TALE and Wrath James White & Monica J O'Rourke's POISONING EROS) because I really, really, really wanted to read them.

I do want to add that I love the experience of reading a well designed book - especially with interior art - but I have no desire to collect/keep the book unless it's one I plan to re-read. Most get sold on eBay to gather money for the next book . . .

Jan
            Not enough books . . . . . just too little time.

Comment

I'm a reader first. I hate the idea of selling anything I actually lay out money for. I'm building a library that will eventually be passed down. However, I liek to read everything I buy. I'll never be able to do that completely, But I try. I know that it'll be 10 years before i get around to some of the stuff I've got.

Like JDar, I like reading well-designed books. Not that I don't like an old, dog-earred paperback every now and then (I've got loads opf those).
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Both. As many of you may know, I specialize in Stephen King proofs. As the new ones come out, I read them--carefully--but I do read them. Similarly, when the Philtrum edition of Eyes of the Dragon came out, I also read that, because, at that time, there was no indication that a trade edition would ever be published. (I also read Six Stories and The New Lieutenant's Rap when I got them.) If it's a choice between reading the trade and reading the limited, I'll always read the trade--the story's the same, isn't it? But I do page through the limited if it's illustrated to see the illustrations.

John

Comment

Both. Paperbacks, Hardcovers, Limiteds... And of course I read them all because that's what books are for and they deserve to be read. Someone spent a lot of time putting that limited together and it would be just a shame to have it sit on the shelf, never even looked through...

And once I buy it, it stays with me. Can't seem to part with my books now, after having to part with almost all of them once...

Comment

I think as with above i would be described as a reader with being a collector coming a close second. I'm in the games for the words and the stories and love some of my paperbacks just as much as my limiteds and 1st editions, but i have only read one or two of my limiteds and they were great experiences. I just can't make myself read the others because they will undoubtly go down in value. I'm not in the game to make money but on most just the same i wouldn't like to lose any.

Comment

I'm a reader first, collector second.

I started collecting books as a kid, simply because the books I liked to read (mostly SF and horror) were so hard to find in Ireland that once I got them I never let them go. I brought most of my collection to the US in the early '90s, back when airlines would let you get away with extra luggage (I got away with five boxes of books that weighed over 80lbs each on one flight).

Comment

I'm avidly both but since I have not read all the books I've acquired, does that make me more of a collector?

Comment

I am slowly becoming a collector. I WANT to read all I have, but I am starting to fall behind thanks to my Kindle. I got a deluge of eBooks within the first few weeks of getting my Kindle and it has slowed my reading of my physical books (I still have about 4 on my nightstand right now that I am reading though... along with my Kindle).

Of course, I've always found it hard to get rid of my books after I've read them... so, I may have always been a collector!

Comment

In the name of space, sanity and “She Who Must Be Obeyed” I weed semi regularly, Spring and Fall. I also use the proceeds to finance new purchases as may interests change. That way my collection is sort self sustaining. I only keep what I Love. I try to be very selective. I don’t want to turn into some crazed book hoarder.

“Glancing into the mirror the horrifying reality dawned on him….It was too late.”
                            Sorry, that was bad. HAHAHA!!!

Comment

On behalf of all us crazed book hoarders, I resemble that remark!

John

Comment

Working...
                              X