Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After the Burn

Moderator Involuntarily Committed Antmusic's Avatar
    I'm right with you... I know the feeling. Books and great stories are addicting.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    On a side note...When I ordered After the Burn I had a question for the publisher. I emailed the question and Paul with Thunderstorm promptly replied and then we exchanged multiple emails back and forth. I was really impressed with the quick reply and willingness to spend the time with a customer. I buy a decent amount of books from small press and in many cases the customer service is shitty at best. So kudos to Paul as to me this level of service is one of the biggest measures of a company's level of professionalism.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I had the same experience with Paul when I ordered ATB. I will be ordering from TSB again as well based on TSB's customer service (unlike another press which I will be passing on even though they have many titles I'd like).
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Inmate Ronald Kelly's Avatar
    Paul emailed me a little while ago and wanted me to extend his "Thanks!" to all of you for the kind words concerning AFTER THE BURN and his customer service. Take it from me, folks, Paul knows his stuff... he knows how to treat his customers and potential customers like a million bucks. The same goes for the writers and artists he works with. Paul's the kind of publisher than constantly keeps you in the loop and I, for one, appreciate that immensely. It was sort of strange coming back to the horror genre after ten years and being treated with respect (something I never got from Zebra). All my publishers -- Rich Chizmar, Brian Freeman, Paul Goblirch, Roy Robbins, and Dave Wilson at Crossroad digital -- are first-class. They've really made this second writing career an extremely special and enjoyable experience. I really can't thank them enough!

That's really cool to hear! I'm glad he treats the talent correctly as well. You folks deserve a ton of credit for doing this even through all the adversity in the market place now a days.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Endless Horror Tale's Avatar
    I received my copy of After the Burn yesterday from Thunderstorm Books - it arrived just as I was finishing up the book that had kept me busy the last few days. It's a really great presentation! Now I just have to decide whether to read it or Midnight Grinding first!

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Tough call! Both are outstanding. MG is a survey of Kelly's fiction; ATB is more focused. If I'd had a decision like that to make, in hindsight, I'd probably read ATB first, only because it's shorter (228 compared to 422 pages.)
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Got mine today off of ebay! Looks fantastic. Can't wait to get into it.
    Mike

Senior Member Inmate Ronald Kelly's Avatar
    Hope you enjoy it, Mike!

My copy finally arrived in the mail today! Good timing too because I just finished something last night and I was debating what to read next...problem solved.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Just saw a copy of this. It's a great looking book!
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Just saw a copy of this. It's a great looking book!
    I wholeheartedly agree. This was my first purchase from this publisher and I was pleasantly surprised by the production of this book. Nice interior, binding, cover, and DJ...excellent!

It is a beautiful book. I wish the title had been printed on the spine of the cover so it could be itentified on a bookshelf and because of the short endflaps the cover kept falling off when I read it; but I suppose these are minor quibbles. It's an exceptional work, both in the writing and design.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    It is a beautiful book. I wish the title had been printed on the spine of the cover so it could be itentified on a bookshelf and because of the short endflaps the cover kept falling off when I read it; but I suppose these are minor quibbles. It's an exceptional work, both in the writing and design.
    I hadn't noticed those issues yet. When I get to reading tonight I will check them out. I do agree that the title should be on the spine of the DJ but I don't think I would ever notice the end flap issue because I usually take the DJ off when I'm reading a book.

I used to remove the covers from my books before reading them, but the oil from my hands would sometimes take off the embossing on the cover and spine. I would have to wear gloves when reading, so I decided to simply leave the cover on.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    I used to remove the covers from my books before reading them, but the oil from my hands would sometimes take off the embossing on the cover and spine. I would have to wear gloves when reading, so I decided to simply leave the cover on.
    Yep. However I just try and handle the books as gently as possible and watch where a put my hands. When I leave the DJ on I typically end up crinkling a corner of the DJ so for me it's a lose lose (of course I don't even consider gloves). BTW I saw what you meant about the end flaps and I thought that was a little strange.

I doesn't take away from the fact that it's a first class publication. At least with the Supercell series TSB is putting out, the 8 dj spines will create a McVey panorama art.
    "I'm a vegan. "

I'm about half way through ATB and I have to say it's really good so far.

P.S. The Popsicle Man is pretty cool. My only wish would be that the deaths were more brutal for the antagonists. BTW it does have wonderful irony which plays off the other themes in this book very well.
    Last edited by Ben Staad; 09-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed adamjames's Avatar
    When I got my first Thunderstorm book, I felt the same about the name not on the spine of the book. So, I asked Paul why he did that, he said that he wanted the books to stick out on your book shelves. When you have more than one Thunderstorm title they do, I got used to it very quickly. As for they end flaps, It's a really big book?
    I feel bad because I still haven't read this, got sidetracked by Chuck Klostermans' Eating the Dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjames View Post
    When I got my first Thunderstorm book, I felt the same about the name not on the spine of the book. So, I asked Paul why he did that, he said that he wanted the books to stick out on your book shelves. When you have more than one Thunderstorm title they do, I got used to it very quickly. As for they end flaps, It's a really big book?
    I feel bad because I still haven't read this, got sidetracked by Chuck Klostermans' Eating the Dinosaur.
    Hmmm...I only have ATB from Thunderstorm, so I'll have to wait a bit on that one. Are all of their titles are like that?
    "I'm a vegan. "