No announcement yet.

After the Burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you love end-of-the-world stuff, you have to get the hardcover for Ron's picture in the front (and the awesome stories in it)! That survivalist picture alone will have you taking out the book and showing all your friends! Save your pennies. Don't go out to eat for a couple of days or skip some Starbucks for a week. This book is a must-have.

"Flesh Welder” is the only reprint short-story/novelette in the book. The other great stories are all original to this collection, and they are:
    “A Shiny Can of Whup-Ass”
    “Meat is Life”
    “The Happiest Place in Hell”
    “Popsicle Man”
    “Evolution Ridge”
    “Taking Care of Business”
    and
    “The Paradise Pill”

Comment

Oh, and Endless Horror Tale... I LOVE the Grandpa's Ghost Stories by James Flora picture on your profile! His books are astounding, and that one was a favorite when I was little.

Comment

Originally posted by Antmusic View Post
        If you love end-of-the-world stuff, you have to get the hardcover for Ron's picture in the front (and the awesome stories in it)! That survivalist picture alone will have you taking out the book and showing all your friends! Save your pennies. Don't go out to eat for a couple of days or skip some Starbucks for a week. This book is a must-have.

"Flesh Welder” is the only reprint short-story/novelette in the book. The other great stories are all original to this collection, and they are:
        “Meat is Life”
        “Popsicle Man”
        “Evolution Ridge”
        and
        “The Paradise Pill”
        You are pure evvvillll!
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Mmmmwooooo-ha-ha!

Comment

Oh, and Endless Horror Tale... I LOVE the Grandpa's Ghost Stories by James Flora picture on your profile! His books are astounding, and that one was a favorite when I was little.
            All right!! You get +100 Endless Horror Pointsİ for recognizing that! I remembered having that book as a child, and for some reason it popped back into my mind out of nowhere several years ago, but for the longest time I couldn't remember the title. I finally figured it out with some Internet sleuthing, then tracked down a copy of the book so I could share it with my kids. A pretty twisted kids book, for sure. Well done, Antmusic!!

And for everyone wondering "What the hell are they on about??", do yourself a favor, indulge your inner child, and track down a copy of James Flora's Grandpa's Ghost Stories - it's out of print, but worth tracking down.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled discussion...

Comment

You guys are sick and twisted! I have an addiction and it seems no one cares! ARghhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
                I finished reading After the Burn about three hours ago, and I'm still breathless. In this collection of exceptional stories, Ronald Kelly presents a grim and fascinating version of life after nuclear devastation. At times darkly humorous (who wouldn't want a certain aged celebrity by their side while fighting off a vicious herd of mutated cattle?) and at other times heart-breaking (the lengths a father must go to spare his family from further torment), After the Burn encapsulates the best and the worst of humanity. Neither good nor evil necessarily becomes the victor because there are winners and losers all around. Yet the main characters in each tale dig deep into themselves in order to overcome adversity in the radiation-infused aftermath of random nuclear explosions focused on urban centers around the globe.

Without going into great detail so as to avoid spoilers (one of my pet peeves), Kelly reveals our worst fears and darkest desires and greatest hopes throughout these 228 pages of poignant prose. He also examines the inner strength some folks tap into while they struggle to survive against the depravity humans are capable of toward one another. Questions of faith are explored. Once safe-guarded ideals are annihilated. Rules, reason, and relationships are twisted by a world where those concepts now lack any real meaning.

From the opening story of an old man who refuses to back down to the tear-inducing closing passage of the last story, you will be amazed, sickened, terrified, and--ultimately--inspired. I urge you to read After the Burn as an introduction to an amazing author riding high on a new wave of his writing career. Or if this will continue your journey with an established master of the craft, you will not be disappointed by this entertaining and edifying book.
                Thanks so much, HorrorScribe, for the wonderful review. You reacted to the stories exactly the way I had hoped the average reader of ATB would. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

“Meat is Life”
                  “Popsicle Man”
                  “Evolution Ridge”
                  and
                  “The Paradise Pill”
                  Would you believe that it took me and my oldest daughter, Reilly, nearly two and a half hours in a frigid basement in mid-January to stage that photo for the ATB signature page? That and endure the wrath of an angry wife who was sitting at home with supper cooked and no one to eat it? You know I love you guys to go through all that to give you an interesting picture.

Oh, and there was an alternative photo. Maybe someday it will show up somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Endless Horror Tale View Post
                    All right!! You get +100 Endless Horror Pointsİ for recognizing that! I remembered having that book as a child, and for some reason it popped back into my mind out of nowhere several years ago, but for the longest time I couldn't remember the title. I finally figured it out with some Internet sleuthing, then tracked down a copy of the book so I could share it with my kids. A pretty twisted kids book, for sure. Well done, Antmusic!!

And for everyone wondering "What the hell are they on about??", do yourself a favor, indulge your inner child, and track down a copy of James Flora's Grandpa's Ghost Stories - it's out of print, but worth tracking down.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled discussion...
                    Yeah, I loved "scary" picture books as a young kid. Gwot: Horribly Funny Hairticklers by Steven Kellogg and George Mendoza; The Crack in the Wall & Other Terribly Weird Tales by Mercer Mayer and George Mendoza; In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories by Alvin Schwartz and Dirk Zimmer; That Terrible Halloween Night by James Stevenson...etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Kelly View Post
                      Oh, and there was an alternative photo. Maybe someday it will show up somewhere...
                      I can't wait to see it... someday!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Kelly View Post
                        Would you believe that it took me and my oldest daughter, Reilly, nearly two and a half hours in a frigid basement in mid-January to stage that photo for the ATB signature page? That and endure the wrath of an angry wife who was sitting at home with supper cooked and no one to eat it? You know I love you guys to go through all that to give you an interesting picture.

And we appreciate the time it took to make it come out right, Ron. And thank your wife for all of us too! It turned out great and really adds to the flavor of the entire book.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I can't wait to see it... someday!

100_2734.jpg

Comment

That's great. I haven't seen the other photo but I love the look on your face and the props. The books were a really nice touch and I think thats a 1st edition Swan Song as well. Very cool!

Comment

Very different feel than the other one... This one seems more intentionally funny... Or is it NOT meant to look like you are "sitting down?"

Comment

Very different feel than the other one... This one seems more intentionally funny... Or is it NOT meant to look like you are "sitting down?"
                                LOL! I did not pick up on this the first time I looked at the picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X