What to read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to read?

The only full length I've read of his is "Kill Whitey". What should I try next? I think I have a copy of "The Rising" somewhere.

Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
    The only full length I've read of his is "Kill Whitey". What should I try next? I think I have a copy of "The Rising" somewhere.
    "The Rising" is good. You may also want to try "Earthworm Gods" or Darkness on the "Edge of Town". For more zombie fun try "Dead Sea". I have found that while I have enjoyed some more than others, you can't really go too wrong with Brian Keene.
    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Any really, although I'd say Ghoul or Th Rising.

Comment

Terminal, Dark Hollow, and Castaways are all phenomenal and they should be available (new or used) in affordable mass market paperback format. Of course, anything by Keene is worth it.
        "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

as aid avove anything by Brian is a good read. The Rising since you already would bre good but word of advice pick up City of The Dead before you finish it!
          Horror,Horror,Horror!

Comment

My favourites are TERMINAL, EARTHWORM GODS, GHOUL, DARK HOLLOW, URBAN GOTHIC and A GATHERING OF CROWS.

Heck, they're all good to great, though his worst IMO is DARKNESS AT THE EDGE OF TOWN.

Comment

If you can get a hold of it, Girl on the Glider is a great read as well, was the first Keene story I ever read thanks to a copy being in a CD grab bag. His CD Novella series story The Cage is another good one. Both are in his new collection A Conspiracy of One which is part of the the Maelstrom Set #2 from Thunderstorm Books. Would also suggest Entombed, a zombie novel where the zombies are kind of taking a backseat. They are there, but the focus isn't on them mostly.
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

Oh, and though it is very short, his novella Alone (also a part of the Maelstrom Set #2) is also very well done
                Spoiler!

Comment

My advice is to start from the beginning and just keep working your way chronilogally. You really can't go wrong with Keene no matter what you read, but it's fun trying to piece all the Labarynth stuff together in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Carcinogen View Post
                    My advice is to start from the beginning and just keep working your way chronilogally.
                    Astute advice! That's something I've attempted but I haven't been able to get my hands on everything by Keene. Most of it (especially his mass market paperbacks released through Leisure), but the limited edition stuff is usually sold out by the time I get around to deciding to purchase it.
                    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

If you have a Half Price Books in your area that would be a good place to look. I used to never be able to find any Keene at my closest one but then they suddenly had a bunch, so that has been good, and one day they had 3 of his hardcover books, though have only seen hardcover of his there that one day, and of course I bought all 3.

Might have to read his stuff in order though, although I have already read a few. Girl on the Glider has nothing to do with his Labyrinth stuff as far as I can remember
                      Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by noigeloverlord View Post
                        as aid avove anything by Brian is a good read. The Rising since you already would bre good but word of advice pick up City of The Dead before you finish it!
                        I'll second this - spelling and all.

Keep Smiling, Jan
                        Not enough books . . . . . just too little time.

Comment

Earlier this year I read two books by Gillian Flynn. I can't recall both titles offhand but I think these are her only work and they were both excellent. The books were suspenseful, dark, and well written.
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Here's a check list:

A Conspiracy of One
                            A Gathering of Crows
                            A Little Silver Book of Streetwise Stories
                            Alone
                            The Cage
                            Castaways
                            City of the Dead
                            Clickers II: The Next Wave (with J.F. Gonzalez)
                            Clickers III: Dagon Rising (with J.F. Gonzalez)
                            The Conqueror Worms (also published as Earthworm Gods)
                            The Damned Highway: Fear & Loathing in Arkham (with Nick Mamatas)
                            Dark Hollow (also published as The Rutting Season)
                            Darkness on the Edge of Town
                            Dead Sea
                            Deluge
                            Earthworm Gods: Selected Scenes From the End of the World
                            Entombed
                            Fear of Gravity
                            Ghost Walk
                            Ghoul
                            The Girl on the Glider
                            Jack’s Magic Beans
                            Kill Whitey
                            LeHorn’s Hollow (book club edition of Dark Hollow and Ghost Walk)
                            No Rest At All
                            No Rest For the Wicked
                            No Rest For the Wicked Redux
                            The Rising
                            The Rising: Deliverance
                            The Rising: Selected Scenes From the End of the World
                            Scratch
                            Shades (with Geoff Cooper)
                            Take The Long Way Home
                            Tequila’s Sunrise
                            Terminal
                            Unhappy Endings
                            Urban Gothic

Comment

Thanks for the checklist. I've read most of these but its great to know where I stand. I still haven't read any of the Clickers series. Maybe I'll grab those next...
                              Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Working...
                              X