Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Must read Koontz books...

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication Kealan Patrick Burke's Avatar
    I have a backlog of Koontz's more recent stuff I need to catch up, but favorites of his earlier work are Phantoms, Midnight, and Intensity, the latter being exactly what the title promises.

Kealan

Grant Wootton
    It's Lightning for mine - while DRK plays 2nd fiddle to SK in my book, I like DRK's character development (and the plots aren't too shabby for the most part)

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour hamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless Horror Tale View Post
    I can't be certain (as it's been quite a few years past), but I think The Bad Place may have been the book that soured me on Koontz.
    Yeah, I still love his books, but it wasn't one that I particularly enjoyed.
    www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed HorrorScribe's Avatar
    Last Friday, I researched the Net for any Koontz updates and to refamiliarize myself with his books. I got in the mood to read something--anything--by him. Luckily, I have a few of his books hanging around on my shelf. Decided to pick-up STRANGE HIGHWAYS as I've already read it, it's a story collection, and I'm in the midst of a graduate-level Renaissance Literaure course. Well, that didn't last long because my course requirements quickly took over my tidbits of free time. Sigh! So maybe I'll get back to it in December after the class ends.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Junior Member Visitor
    I love the older books, especially Whispers, Watchers, and Midnight. I also liked some of the lesser known pre-Whispers books, like ... Uhm the one with the crazy kid Colin. I even liked Night Chills, though I have since learned it's controversial because of the sex and violence. More recently, I read a couple of newer ones, Your Heart Belongs to Me and the one about the evil critic (Relentless?). Both were enjoyable, but I was disappointed overall. (The Koontz books I loved often had a message, but they avoided having a Message.)

My all time favorite, however, might be Koontz's How to Write Best-selling Fiction. One of my favorite writing books ever. I wish copies weren't so hard to come by.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Ron K's Avatar
    I really enjoyed the older stuff when I was very young, like 12 or so. Watchers, Whispers, Phantoms ... they were all fun. At some point his style or subject matter changed and I moved on after a couple of attempts. It may have just been a bit nuanced and sophisticated for my teenage tastes at the time ... not sure but it wouldn't suprise me. I'd like to read one of his newer (last 5 years?) books ... any suggestions? I like creepy stuff, monster stuff ... those are my favorites. More of a supernatural horror fan and I guess less of a slasher/real world killer horror fan ... if that makes sense.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jhanic's Avatar
    Phantoms is one of my favorites, especially the beginning. I've never read such a suspenseful start of a book.

John

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I've never read such a suspenseful start of a book.
    For me that was the beginning of King's Desperation.
    Too bad the book ran out of steam after about 75 pages or so.

sk

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Intensity is my favorite Koontz title but I have to admit that I have only read a few. He is an author that I need to read more of.

The only Koontz books I read are the Odd Thomas books. Also I collect the Charnel House S/L editions of the Odd Thomas books.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    I am reading relentless now it is my 3rd koontz title this year.I also read the husband and the good guy.I must say he does seem to have gotten back on track.
    For awhile I could not get through his books.My favorite is strangers of his earlier stuff.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour tweetygirl0606's Avatar
    The last couple books of Koontz I read were The Eyes of Darkness and From the Corner of his Eye (think that's the correct title). I read most of his books and for the most part, I really enjoyed them. I did like the first 2 Frankenstein books, but never got around to reading the 3rd and 4th ones yet.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Kenwood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I am reading relentless now it is my 3rd koontz title this year.I also read the husband and the good guy.I must say he does seem to have gotten back on track.
    For awhile I could not get through his books.My favorite is strangers of his earlier stuff.
    Relentless was excellent...

Spoiler!

Otherwise, fantastic book. I thought What the Night Knows and it's tie-in novella, Darkness Under the Sun, were also great. His latest novella, The Moonlit Mind, another tie-in, this time to 77 Shadow Street, was very good as well.
    "Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The Eyesore Times | Shock Totem | Getcha Rocks Off

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed HorrorScribe's Avatar
    Koontz does seem to have gotten back on track. I've enjoyed his very recent released (such as Breathless & What the Night Knows). In fact, it's those two books that swung the Koontz fan pendulum back to enjoyment rather than annoyance. In fact, I'm surprised it took me this long as I thoroughly adored The Darkest Night of the Year.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour tweetygirl0606's Avatar
    I just finished reading The Face by Dean Koontz...I enjoyed it..has a little bit of everything in it.

Junior Member Visitor Harrison Ryan's Avatar
    My own list of Koontz faves includes Lightning, Cold Fire, Strangers and Twilight Eyes. The later stuff, not so much...but I would give honorable mentions to the Moonlight Bay books and the Odd Thomas series.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour divemaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Ryan View Post
    My own list of Koontz faves includes Lightning, Cold Fire, Strangers and Twilight Eyes. The later stuff, not so much...but I would give honorable mentions to the Moonlight Bay books and the Odd Thomas series.
    Have you read Phantoms? It's one of the best, and from his "older stuff." I also liked Watchers and Whispers.

Junior Member Visitor Harrison Ryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Have you read Phantoms? It's one of the best, and from his "older stuff." I also liked Watchers and Whispers.
    I have indeed read Phantoms. I even saw the movie version in the theater (for some reason) when it came out. Watchers was the best of the "intelligent animal" books that became a running theme for Koontz. I'd amend my list above to include that one, too.

Junior Member Visitor
    Odd Thomas was fun to read, cant imagine why they dont make a film or tv show? anyone know if he sold the rights to these books?

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    From IMDb:

Odd Thomas (2012)

Mystery | Thriller - 3 October 2012 (Belgium)

Not yet released

In a California desert town, a short-order cook with clairvoyant abilities encounters a mysterious man with a link to dark, threatening forces.

Director:
    Stephen Sommers

Writers:
    Dean R. Koontz (novel), Stephen Sommers (screenplay)

Stars:
    Willem Dafoe, Anton Yelchin and Patton Oswalt
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.