Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must read Koontz books...

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar

Must read Koontz books...

Ok, while Koontz has been of my reading list for a few years now, since his stories stopped holding my interest, I think he has a good list of must read titles. Here's a few:

Watchers
    Whispers
    Lightning
    Strangers
    Midnight
    Bad Place
    Phantoms
    Dark Rivers of the Heart

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Dark Rivers of the Heart
    That's my favorite by far.
    I can't really remember the other ones. Once read, they're usually gone within a couple of days.
    Intensity also was pretty....intense.

sk

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed HorrorScribe's Avatar
    I absolutely adored Watchers, Shadowfires (originally published under the pseudonym "Leigh Nichols"), and The Darkest Evening of the Year. All three represent Koontz at his best. There was a period of about 10 or so years where his new releases weren't to my taste, but I've returned to his fiction with an open mind. I tend to enjoy his very recent work but not as much as his output from the 1980s through 1996 or so.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Endless Horror Tale's Avatar
    I picked up a copy of Watchers from a small-town grocery store in West Texas when I was 12 or 13, visiting my grandparents, and had blown through my cache of Stephen King books taken on that trip. I hadn't previously read any Koontz, and for some reason the cover caught my eye and I took a chance on it. I remember reading and enjoying Lightning, Servants of Twilight, and The Bad Place. At some point, and I can't recall exactly when, I stopped reading Koontz. The last time I read one of his books was probably back in the mid-90s.

Senior Member Inmate
    Fear Nothing
    Seize the Night
    Beastchild
    Dragon Tears

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Watchers, FunHouse, and the Odd Thomas books are some of my favorites. I had been let down with many of his latest offerings but with his last non Frankenstein book he seems to be back on track. His next book is due out in December. So far it seems interesting, and there are no signs of a magical dog so I'll probably pick it up.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour hamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Ok, while Koontz has been of my reading list for a few years now, since his stories stopped holding my interest, I think he has a good list of must read titles. Here's a few:

Watchers
    Whispers
    Lightning
    Strangers
    Midnight
    Bad Place
    Phantoms
    Dark Rivers of the Heart
    Actually I didn't think the Bad Place was one of his better ones, a couple I would add to that list is the 1st and 2nd Frankenstein books, the Odd Series, Coldfire, and The Husband(I have a pretty detailed synopsis of The Husband in my blog at www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com.
    www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Horror Tale View Post
    I picked up a copy of Watchers from a small-town grocery store in West Texas when I was 12 or 13, visiting my grandparents, and had blown through my cache of Stephen King books taken on that trip. I hadn't previously read any Koontz, and for some reason the cover caught my eye and I took a chance on it.
    Watchers was my first introduction to Koontz as well. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. It helped me through a very difficult time in my life at the age of 15. I bought it at the Newark airport on my way back home to Massachusetts from a very dark period of several months in Arizona. Like with you, Endless Horror Tale, the cover caught my eye and the back cover copy intrigued me.

Quote Originally Posted by HorrorScribe View Post
    Watchers was my first introduction to Koontz as well. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. It helped me through a very difficult time in my life at the age of 15. I bought it at the Newark airport on my way back home to Massachusetts from a very dark period of several months in Arizona. Like with you, Endless Horror Tale, the cover caught my eye and the back cover copy intrigued me.
    I really dug Watchers when I first discovered it; I haven't reread it in a long time, so I'm not sure how it holds up. I remember watching the terrible attempt at a film adaptation severl years later and being tremendously disappointed. Needless to say, I never bothered watching any of the sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by hamount View Post
    Actually I didn't think the Bad Place was one of his better ones, a couple I would add to that list is the 1st and 2nd Frankenstein books, the Odd Series, Coldfire, and The Husband(I have a pretty detailed synopsis of The Husband in my blog at www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com.
    I can't be certain (as it's been quite a few years past), but I think The Bad Place may have been the book that soured me on Koontz.

I really dug Watchers when I first discovered it; I haven't reread it in a long time, so I'm not sure how it holds up.
    Since that initial reading, I've returned to Watchers 2 or 3 more times within a five-year period. However, I haven't read it recently due to my overwhelming backlog of never-read books, but I'm now curious to discover if Watchers will stand the test of time.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I don't think it will. The whole work was style over substance with nothing really to distinguish it from the plethora of suspense-thrillers around other than the name Koontz. The most potential the book had in terms of immortality was the mental Link between Einstein and The Outsider, and Koontz never jumped on it. He missed a great opportunity with the story and if it survives, it will be as one of Koontz' minor or other works. The problem is determining which of Koontz' works wiill survive (I can't speculate on that as I've only read Watchers and The Bad Place--neither of which were good enough to make me want to read a third one.)
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Twilight Eyes is another that I enjoyed that I don't hear too many people mention. Then again I tend to like stories set in carnivals or sideshows, so maybe it's just me...
    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour hamount's Avatar
    I can't be certain (as it's been quite a few years past), but I think The Bad Place may have been the book that soured me on Koontz.
    Your Heart Belongs to Me was also an acceptable read.
    www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Kenwood's Avatar
    I don't think Dean has ever released a bad book. I did stop reading The Taking, but that was a long time ago and I think my mood wasn't right for it. I'll re-read it someday. Other than that, the dude has been pretty consistent. At his worst, he's good. Even his early, sci-fi stuff is pretty solid.
    "Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The Eyesore Times | Shock Totem | Getcha Rocks Off

Quote Originally Posted by Kenwood View Post
    I don't think Dean has ever released a bad book. I did stop reading The Taking, but that was a long time ago and I think my mood wasn't right for it. I'll re-read it someday. Other than that, the dude has been pretty consistent. At his worst, he's good. Even his early, sci-fi stuff is pretty solid.
    I count myself as a pretty fair Dean Koontz fan but I have to say that i did not care for Breathless. It actually worried me that I might have been soured on Dean but I did enjoy What the Night Knows. I have also had trouble getting through the Frankenstein books. For some reason they don't seem to interest me.
    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour divemaster's Avatar
    I have read a lot of Koontz, but nothing recent. I read Dark Rivers of the Heart last year (it was okay), and I think prior to that some book about a guy who could only go out at night b/c of some skin condition or something.

But some of the early stuff I read 20 years ago or so I really liked. Sure, sure, there were plenty with interchangeable plots, and the one-word titles don't help distinguish them from one another.

But the following stand out as very good reads:

Phantoms
    Strangers
    Watchers
    Whispers
    Hideaway

and, since I need one with more than a 1-word title, Twilight Eyes

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I read Dark Rivers of the Heart last year (it was okay)
    My all-time Koontz favorite!

sk

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    My all-time Koontz favorite!

sk
    Great book!! Probably the last Koontz book I loved!!

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    some book about a guy who could only go out at night b/c of some skin condition or something.

[/B]
    Fear Nothing and Seize the Night, both available as CD limiteds.