Must read Koontz books...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenwood View Post
    I don't think Dean has ever released a bad book. I did stop reading The Taking, but that was a long time ago and I think my mood wasn't right for it. I'll re-read it someday. Other than that, the dude has been pretty consistent. At his worst, he's good. Even his early, sci-fi stuff is pretty solid.
    I count myself as a pretty fair Dean Koontz fan but I have to say that i did not care for Breathless. It actually worried me that I might have been soured on Dean but I did enjoy What the Night Knows. I have also had trouble getting through the Frankenstein books. For some reason they don't seem to interest me.
    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

I have read a lot of Koontz, but nothing recent. I read Dark Rivers of the Heart last year (it was okay), and I think prior to that some book about a guy who could only go out at night b/c of some skin condition or something.

But some of the early stuff I read 20 years ago or so I really liked. Sure, sure, there were plenty with interchangeable plots, and the one-word titles don't help distinguish them from one another.

But the following stand out as very good reads:

Phantoms
      Strangers
      Watchers
      Whispers
      Hideaway

and, since I need one with more than a 1-word title, Twilight Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by divemaster View Post
        I read Dark Rivers of the Heart last year (it was okay)
        My all-time Koontz favorite!

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
          My all-time Koontz favorite!

sk
          Great book!! Probably the last Koontz book I loved!!

Comment

Originally posted by divemaster View Post
            some book about a guy who could only go out at night b/c of some skin condition or something.

[/B]
            Fear Nothing and Seize the Night, both available as CD limiteds.

Comment

I have a backlog of Koontz's more recent stuff I need to catch up, but favorites of his earlier work are Phantoms, Midnight, and Intensity, the latter being exactly what the title promises.

Kealan
              http://www.kealanpatrickburke.com

Comment

It's Lightning for mine - while DRK plays 2nd fiddle to SK in my book, I like DRK's character development (and the plots aren't too shabby for the most part)

Comment

Originally posted by Endless Horror Tale View Post
                  I can't be certain (as it's been quite a few years past), but I think The Bad Place may have been the book that soured me on Koontz.
                  Yeah, I still love his books, but it wasn't one that I particularly enjoyed.
                  www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

Last Friday, I researched the Net for any Koontz updates and to refamiliarize myself with his books. I got in the mood to read something--anything--by him. Luckily, I have a few of his books hanging around on my shelf. Decided to pick-up STRANGE HIGHWAYS as I've already read it, it's a story collection, and I'm in the midst of a graduate-level Renaissance Literaure course. Well, that didn't last long because my course requirements quickly took over my tidbits of free time. Sigh! So maybe I'll get back to it in December after the class ends.
                    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

I love the older books, especially Whispers, Watchers, and Midnight. I also liked some of the lesser known pre-Whispers books, like ... Uhm the one with the crazy kid Colin. I even liked Night Chills, though I have since learned it's controversial because of the sex and violence. More recently, I read a couple of newer ones, Your Heart Belongs to Me and the one about the evil critic (Relentless?). Both were enjoyable, but I was disappointed overall. (The Koontz books I loved often had a message, but they avoided having a Message.)

My all time favorite, however, might be Koontz's How to Write Best-selling Fiction. One of my favorite writing books ever. I wish copies weren't so hard to come by.

Comment

I really enjoyed the older stuff when I was very young, like 12 or so. Watchers, Whispers, Phantoms ... they were all fun. At some point his style or subject matter changed and I moved on after a couple of attempts. It may have just been a bit nuanced and sophisticated for my teenage tastes at the time ... not sure but it wouldn't suprise me. I'd like to read one of his newer (last 5 years?) books ... any suggestions? I like creepy stuff, monster stuff ... those are my favorites. More of a supernatural horror fan and I guess less of a slasher/real world killer horror fan ... if that makes sense.

Comment

Phantoms is one of my favorites, especially the beginning. I've never read such a suspenseful start of a book.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jhanic View Post
                            I've never read such a suspenseful start of a book.
                            For me that was the beginning of King's Desperation.
                            Too bad the book ran out of steam after about 75 pages or so.

sk

Comment

Intensity is my favorite Koontz title but I have to admit that I have only read a few. He is an author that I need to read more of.

Comment

The only Koontz books I read are the Odd Thomas books. Also I collect the Charnel House S/L editions of the Odd Thomas books.

Comment

Working...
                                X