No announcement yet.

Some of Mike's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know it's all about room!! Ackerman, what an interesting life. I read all those Warren publicatins when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
      I read all those Warren publicatins when I was a kid.
      FM is still going strong (issue # 257 has just been published) and I'm having a blast with the Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella hc re-issues

sk

Comment

Is it really FM without the Ackermaster? HAHAHA!!

Comment

Oh, definitely. The new issues are worth checking out.

sk

Comment

IMG_0748.jpg
            Starting to post some of my Martial Arts collection. I have almost a thousand items, including vintage magazines. The Marine Corp manual dates from 1993, Super Ju Jitsu was a home course only available through subscription for $10.00, published in 1942. The Hand-to-Hand Combat Manual FM 21-150 was published in June 1954. Super Karate in 1960. Bruce Tegner’s Complete Book of Judo, A school book fair favorite was published in 1967. The World’s Deadliest Fighting Secrets 1968 published by the notorious Count Dante of the Black Dragon Fighting Society.

Comment

IMG_0749.jpg
              Skilled Defense 1936 dedicated to J. Edgar Hoover. American Ju-Jitsu 1942.
              Last edited by mhatchett; 05-07-2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]19578[/ATTACH]
                Starting to post some of my Martial Arts collection. I have almost a thousand items, including vintage magazines. The Marine Corp manual dates from 1993, Super Ju Jitsu was a home course only available through subscription for $10.00, published in 1942. The Hand-to-Hand Combat Manual FM 21-150 was published in June 1954. Super Karate in 1960. Bruce Tegner’s Complete Book of Judo, A school book fair favorite was published in 1967. The World’s Deadliest Fighting Secrets 1968 published by the notorious Count Dante of the Black Dragon Fighting Society.
                That is some fantastic stuff. Look forward to seeing more. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Comment

IMG_0750.jpg
                  Mas Oyamas book by D.C. Cook published in 1982, a real find. Fighting Arts of the World, an interesting book and maybe even true to a point. Rumor has it that The Martial Arts expert/historian Robert Smith ghost wrote this book. Clubs: Clubs in Self Defense and Mob Control 1968.

Comment

IMG_0751.jpg
                    A book about Greek Karate from 1979! Another Bruce Tegner title from 1977. Ju-Jitsu by Frederick Powell from 1942. A privately published martial Arts manual from 1982.

Comment

IMG_0752.jpg
                      Another Combatives Manual From 1963. Forces of TKD 1979 by Edward sell, who went on to start a Martial Arts empire in Florida. Wing Tsun Dummy Techniques by Yip Chun complete with a chart 1981 pretty neat.
                      Last edited by mhatchett; 05-07-2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Very cool collection. Though for some reason I can't see the last attachment or Skilled Defense.

Have your read much of the collection?

I also just looked through the old pictures. It's funny I never realized you had a collection thread. It was fun looking through the bookshelves. Your collection intrigues me, seems rather varied.
                        Last edited by Theli; 05-07-2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

I know, the thread was started six years ago. Hard to believe. I've read and used my Martial Arts collection extensively over the years. I have a wide variety of interests and my collecting reflects that, i think. I'll try to get some of the older stuff up tomorrow.

Comment

IMG_0753.jpg
                            The top three titles are wartime publications FM 21-150 Unarmed defense for the American Soldier 1942, In the second title, Lightning Ju-Jitsu 1943, A tommy can be seen disarming a Nazzzzzi. Learn How to Fight Tough from former World Boxing Champion Jack Dempsey 1943. The ubiquitous Bruce Tegner is teaching Police defense tactics in 1978 and Sammy Franco is teaching you how to be Street Lethal in 1989 Published by Paladin Press. Paladin has published some great books….and some real trash lol!

Comment

IMG_0754.jpg
                              Do or Die, 1937/1944, The art of the Bayonet is emphasized, killing techniques. American Combat Judo 1959, looks like wrestling. Hand gunning! American Ju-Jitsu for police 1931. Look out there’s a frog! Sorry about that!
                              Last edited by mhatchett; 05-07-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

IMG_0755.jpg
                                So clearly, Ju-Jitsu had it going on in the 30s-40s. The first book is from 1935, the second from 1943. Tommy Kay’s Big Book of Karate Fall 1982, these were a lot of fun! Finally, the oldest Martial Arts book I own, published by the Japan Publishing in 1904.
                                Last edited by mhatchett; 05-07-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X