Thread: Question: Should I keep this book or return it?

Bela Lugosi's dead... Hearing Voices

Question: Should I keep this book or return it?

I purchased what I thought was a limited edition hardcover (one of 500 printed) for $100. It turned out to be an ARC (as far as I can tell). The real LE hardcover can be had from $135 to $400 depending on where you look.

My question is, should I just return the ARC and pay an extra $35 for the real thing, or is this an ok price for what I got?

My first instinct is to return it, but...

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed HorrorScribe's Avatar
    I recommend returning the ARC because that's not what you ordered. The extra $35 is worth it, in my opinion, as you'll own the version of the book that you really want. Paperback ARCs are considered collector's items to some, but they're not anywhere near the same as a real LE hardcover (both in quality and intended purpose). I hope this helps.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    I think I would probably return it myself. Where did you get it and what was the description? I don't remember what I was looking at on Amazon earlier today but it was the hardcover listings and one of the sellers had "may be softcover" in the description, lol

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    What book are you on about if you don't mind me asking? But i would return it!

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Everytime that happens, I write an angry letter to the seller. 5 out of 5 times, I got my money back and got to keep the book!

...I'm just sayin'...
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Thanks, all. I'm going to contact the seller and return it. I won't say which book it is just yet because that would be like throwing chum in shark-infested waters! Everyone will think to themselves, "Hmm, maybe I should have that book!" and next thing you know the price will soar like Dutch tulips. I'll let you know once I get a real copy

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Don't offer to return it; let the seller know that the book was misidentified in it's description and that you are very unhappy--it makes you wonder what else is misidentied on his site; perhaps it is not worth your's or anybody else's time perusing (hint that you'll spread that around on a few blogs). then tell him you want your money back. Don't ask how to return it.

I always got to keep the book that way...

I'm just sayin'...

My copy of of Pet Semetery isn't the greatest, but I got my $85 back (all because of a name plate that wasn't mentioned in the description).
    Last edited by srboone; 08-10-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

This was the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZN1ZXS

I thought I was getting a copy of the Limited Edition of A Good, Secret Place: A Collection of Stories by Richard Laymon, but it turned out to be a proof copy. Since I returned it the seller has updated the description on Amazon.

Moderator Involuntarily Committed Antmusic's Avatar
    The other seller on there, gh****, is selling "Proofs in a plastic binder. Clean and tight. 224 pages. No illustrations."

The description does say "paperback" on the page you linked, but if the seller did not specify that they were selling a proof or ARC, then you have every right to have Amazon refund your money.

Plus, from what I understand, ARCs and Proof-copies are a no-no to sell on Amazon (they don't allow it).

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antmusic View Post
    Plus, from what I understand, ARCs and Proof-copies are a no-no to sell on Amazon (they don't allow it).
    Hey Ant, thanks for clarifying "no-no". LOL!!!

Moderator Involuntarily Committed Antmusic's Avatar
    Not all of us have kiddos, Brad.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jhanic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antmusic View Post
    I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

John

I got an uncorrected page proof of Zimiamvia: A Trilogy by E R Eddison, that was described as the actual book, from a seller on Amazon who fearfully told me to keep the book and he refunded my money. I thought I just scared him by putting "Esq" at the end of my name.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    i got an uncorrected page proof of zimiamvia: A trilogy by e r eddison, that was described as the actual book, from a seller on amazon who fearfully told me to keep the book and he refunded my money. I thought i just scared him by putting "esq" at the end of my name.
    lmao!!!!

IMAO--hmmm...I'll have to look that one up. I'm not up on chat lingo... (seriously).
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    L*MAO - laugh my ass off.

Figured I'd save you the trouble.

Ahh!!! That one i know. Tho I found out that IMAO is "In My Amateur Opinion"...I figured it was a jab at the "Esq" tag I added.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Ahh, didn't know that there was an IMAO. Need to start playing more video games and work a bit on my 1337 speach.

I got my money back, so I'm just out the few bucks I paid to ship it back. If it had been the same style as a Cemetery Dance ARC I'd have kept it, but what I got could have been produced at Kinkos for a few dollars. Come to think of it, I could have started selling unlimited copies of a limited edition.