Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you tell if a concept has already been taken?

Senior Member Inmate
    I have to disagree...I have fresh ideas for stories coming at me all the time. I get them from dreams at night. It helps to be somewhat eccentric with a love of the language. At least that's what the voices keep whispering in my head. I dig them out with a sharp nut pick when they leave me to my own devices between medication rounds... Bloody ear infections won't go away though...
    Last edited by Randy D. Rubin; 02-13-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: multiple personality

Many vampire stories, yes, and many new ones - but a lot of them ARE cliches. There is definitely a market for "been there, done that, same old cookie-cutter characters and situations" - somebody has to keep buying them, in the same way romance books keep selling, or Mack Bolan-type books keep selling. Usually something comes along (or back, like vampires), somebody writes something with a slightly different approach, and then all of a sudden they're everywhere - vampires, zombies, the whole "smart-ass renegade private detective/paranormal investigator" thing, or even the "Oh no, my child has been kidnapped and there's only one man who can save him! Coincidentally, it's a man I used to love *sob*" type books - perhaps some do try to be unique, but too often they're so similar that they could all be written by the same person. Yet they're still occupying space in the book store. Cliche apparently doesn't mean unpublishable.

Senior Member Inmate
    You make a good argument X (How do you pronounce that, is it like zhee bay?)