Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Support group for people who enjoy (spend too much money on) signed limited books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    Really? Have a look at these two editions, the one Grant posted, plus this one.
    I think they're gorgeous books!

sk

Mine is the Potter edition:

I agree, the book itself is pretty much above reproach (although I'd love to have a numbered version - or two - such as you, you lucky man, possess, as opposed to a file copy) the issue I have is with the quality of the traycase. Maybe I just received the solitary lemon from this particular SK orchard, but the interior has started to peel which tends to make the overall presentation less than ideal - but, maybe I'm too picky for my own good (or sanity)... hahahaha ...

Comment

Originally posted by sweeper4football View Post
      Ha! Hard Gore Press do some lovely looking books don't they!!
      That they do - I've got four all up of the Roman Numeralled editions that were sold via Cemetery Dance over the last 12 months or so, and they are very nice pieces indeed The remarques are being FedEx'd from the UK this week, so I should have them at hand shortly and will certainly post some pics when they do arrive .. Woo Hoo

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
        Well, SoD V1 is a PC (but, honestly, for the price, I couldn't pass it up) with the SoD V2 being Letter K. I've got a FDNS and IT Lettered on order through CD (was lucky enough to get in early) - apart from that, the only other lettered item associated with King I have at hand is Legacies, which is pretty cool. Man, keep a hold of your Insomnia # 9 (of the numbered King's I have none of them that are under 200) a little blemish like you describe shouldn't effect the value (although, if you're like me, it's not the monetary value of the book, more than it is having a beautiful book - or - lots of beautiful books ). You got in on the Grant WTTK!!!! You lucky bugger!!!! I have a Little Sisters, but it's numbered in the 1,200's so I don't get a look in for WTTK - so it's back to the aftermarket for me after it's released. I guess I'm fortunate, in that my only vice is books (unlike yourself with multiple passions) and I'm at the stage of life where I can afford to indulge myself a little on something I've always loved. Yep, know what you mean about the PS limited of The Colardo Kid. I haven't actually seen a copy of the slipcased limited edition, but did score a traycased edition (which sounds all grand and mighty until you see what's one the "This Is Copy XX" of the signature sheet). I take solace in it having SK's signature on it (as well as the three artists) but, as you say, the presentation is a little disappointing, particularly the traycase itself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]416[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]418[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]419[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]420[/ATTACH]
        Now those editions of The Colorado Kid look a million times better than what I had. I had the Miller version and it was in fact, signed. I don't get it? How come mine looked like some trade paperback in a slipcase?? Yours look a helluva lot better than mine did. I first tried selling it on ebay...$400. Then went down to $350, then $300, still no one even had it in their "Watch List", much less place a bid. I finally sold it to Camelot for $200. I hated it so much I had to get rid of it lol. But I don't understand why yours look so much better, and Frick's below as well.
        LOL yeah, the Grant LSOE I just got lucky "winning" it in the lottery they had for the few remaining copies Grant had left. Number 544...but Grant makes the best looking limited editions I've ever seen (no ofense CD...you're second best . But I'm wondering how much that'll be? I'm thinking $250-300. But you think I should hold onto that Insomnia book, huh? I had it listed on ebay with a lot of watchers trying to "win" it at the last second...I think I had it for $399 as a starting price. I ended it at the last minute since I couldn't bring myself to sell it. I felt bad enough about Desperation, I would of felt worse if that one went yet, the problem is I'm needing some cash for that 8th DT book. Have to sell some of my Laymon Headline editions maybe. Not just that, but Weaveworld by Barker as well...the special anniversary edition.
        Well, for me, it's both the collectible factor as well as the beauty of the book. I just worry everytime I handle one, I'll put some type of mark on the page edges which will drive me nuts so for the most part, I leave them alone as much as possible. My LSOE limited is still in the shrinwrap lol. I said on here I was going to take it off but can't do it. I have the Gift version also which is great looking and it's even hard for me to look at that one! Pathetic lol.

Comment

Maybe you meant the unsigned editions?

Those were exactly what I had, but mine was definitley signed. It was a pretty low number as well. I don't get this. I'm seeing all these editions of that book and mine looked like garbage, it really did. I got it directly from PS themselves. And what Grant edition are you talking about Frick?

Comment

I got screwed, didn't I? Because those above were what I had and they were the unsigned ones?? I know with 100% certainy mine was signed, or of course, I wouldn't have got $200 from Camelot. But I'm thinking now they just sent me some cheap trade edition, had King sign it and shipped it. I'm not sure what to think actually. Maybe the sig was even forged??

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
              I got screwed, didn't I? Because those above were what I had and they were the unsigned ones?? I know with 100% certainy mine was signed, or of course, I wouldn't have got $200 from Camelot. But I'm thinking now they just sent me some cheap trade edition, had King sign it and shipped it. I'm not sure what to think actually. Maybe the sig was even forged??
              Knowing PS publishing, I doubt that it was forged, and I doubt that it was on purpose. I'm thinking probably more likely is a shipping error, that no one caught. It is a very strange situation though, as I've seen copies of the Trade editions here, but I never remember them being of poor quality as you describe it. It is most certainly a weird situation. Too bad you don't still have it.

Edit: You might be able to find what your copy was via this link: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...le=Test+Thread
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Now those editions of The Colorado Kid look a million times better than what I had. I had the Miller version and it was in fact, signed. I don't get it? How come mine looked like some trade paperback in a slipcase?? Yours look a helluva lot better than mine did. I first tried selling it on ebay...$400. Then went down to $350, then $300, still no one even had it in their "Watch List", much less place a bid. I finally sold it to Camelot for $200. I hated it so much I had to get rid of it lol. But I don't understand why yours look so much better, and Frick's below as well.
                LOL yeah, the Grant LSOE I just got lucky "winning" it in the lottery they had for the few remaining copies Grant had left. Number 544...but Grant makes the best looking limited editions I've ever seen (no ofense CD...you're second best . But I'm wondering how much that'll be? I'm thinking $250-300. But you think I should hold onto that Insomnia book, huh? I had it listed on ebay with a lot of watchers trying to "win" it at the last second...I think I had it for $399 as a starting price. I ended it at the last minute since I couldn't bring myself to sell it. I felt bad enough about Desperation, I would of felt worse if that one went yet, the problem is I'm needing some cash for that 8th DT book. Have to sell some of my Laymon Headline editions maybe. Not just that, but Weaveworld by Barker as well...the special anniversary edition.
                Well, for me, it's both the collectible factor as well as the beauty of the book. I just worry everytime I handle one, I'll put some type of mark on the page edges which will drive me nuts so for the most part, I leave them alone as much as possible. My LSOE limited is still in the shrinwrap lol. I said on here I was going to take it off but can't do it. I have the Gift version also which is great looking and it's even hard for me to look at that one! Pathetic lol.
                Re the WTTK, I think maybe that $250 - $300 is a little on the conservative side, LSOE went for $300 back in the day, so I'd suggest you'd better brace yourself for something more like $350 - $400, particularly given that market interest for WTTK appears to be considerably greater than it was for LSOE Yep, if it were me, I'd keep a hold of Insomnia, but then again, it depends on which author floats your boat the most. If I needed to divest a part of my collection to add a new item to it, I'd offload anything but SK (although I'd also find it hard to break up my Koontz collection too). I know what you mean about handling the limiteds. I handle mine as infrequently as possible (which isn't that much as I do like to pull them down and have a look through from time to time). My worst bad (thus far) was when I was brodarting a copy of Dark Forces - got a little over enthusiastic in the process and managed to rip the dust jacket (about 1" in length on the front). It's barely noticeable, visually, but mentally, it screams at me with reproach everytime I look at that particular book

Comment

And what Grant edition are you talking about Frick?
                  Grant Wootton!

sk

Comment

Grant Wootton!

sk
                    The Dutch have a rather strange sense of humour

Comment

Re the WTTK, I think maybe that $250 - $300 is a little on the conservative side, LSOE went for $300 back in the day, so I'd suggest you'd better brace yourself for something more like $350 - $400, particularly given that market interest for WTTK appears to be considerably greater than it was for LSOE Yep, if it were me, I'd keep a hold of Insomnia, but then again, it depends on which author floats your boat the most. If I needed to divest a part of my collection to add a new item to it, I'd offload anything but SK (although I'd also find it hard to break up my Koontz collection too). I know what you mean about handling the limiteds. I handle mine as infrequently as possible (which isn't that much as I do like to pull them down and have a look through from time to time). My worst bad (thus far) was when I was brodarting a copy of Dark Forces - got a little over enthusiastic in the process and managed to rip the dust jacket (about 1" in length on the front). It's barely noticeable, visually, but mentally, it screams at me with reproach everytime I look at that particular book
                      Oh man. You tore the DJ? Possibly the worst thing you can do to a book! I'd feel absolutely horrible as well if I did that. It hasn't happened yet with any of the few hundred books I have, but once again, just dumb luck.
                      $350-400???? These book prices are getting really out of hand. But I have no choice but to get it; how many times are you given an opportunity like that? But damn, that's a lot of bread (to use a 70's phrase). But if anyone here wants any Laymon, Ketchum, Garton, Lee or even King limiteds, let me know please by sending me a PM. And as I said, my other problems...the knife collecting as well as the Swiss watches...cost me a fortune, so it's going to be difficult to get the new DT book, but I'm determined by God! Maybe King won't be around for too much longer...you never know and with the prices they are now, they'll be double or even triple if he were to "pass on", to be as sensitive as possible. Look at the Laymon titles. Even back in the early 90's when I was buying tons of his Headline signed books, even then they were $55-60 a piece, most bought from Roy at Bad Moon Books and some from Dave at the Overlook. Most people never heard of Laymon; everyone knows King so it's best to get as many signed trades and limiteds by him as possible. Next year I'm going to get a couple more on layaway from Betts. But I hardly have any room anymore. I have 4 bedrooms and the room I'm in now has books sky high to the ceiling in the closet, plus about a hundred books I haven't even seen for 15 years in a couple of huge plastic "Boxes". And my spare room, they're all over there too. On the bed, all the drawers in the chest of drawers, under the bed...it's absurd. My plan before I get too damn old, is too sell off just half and try to get a big ass annuity for around 100 grand or so so I can retire before 50 and have automatic checks sent to me every month. On top of that, I think I'm going to buy a couple ATM machines and gumball machines for even more income, plus my pension from working as an electrician the past 22 years (I turned 45 in August..getting up there lol).
                      You were saying what author floats your boat...actually King used too, but not much anymore with some of his not-so-good novels. I've always like Garton and Koontz, but Laymon and Ketchum as well. Oh, and Clegg and Mcammon (sp) too. But those guys' books aren't worth even half the price of King limiteds (most of the time and except the Laymon ones are actually worth more than King's...about half or more of his books).
                      Just your opinion: what ones from the books I mentioned, would you sell? I don't really want to sell any, but if I want that annuity, I'm going to have to get rid of, like I said, at least half. I also have four Bradbury limiteds, the most valuable definitely being the lettered of Dark Carnival. It's worth around a grand or so.
                      Oh well, I think I've said more than enough in this post lol. Often times I just get type-happy and can go on and on like I did here. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
                      Thanks.

Comment

Grant Wootton!

sk
                        I'm missing something Frick? Everyone else go the joke but not me. But that's not unsusal at all, often times things sail right over my lil head.

But "Grant Wootton" reminds me of the great MMA fighter from Holland...Bos Rutten, lol the perfect name for a MMA guy. Do you know him by any chance??
                        Last edited by theenormityofitall; 09-16-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                          Knowing PS publishing, I doubt that it was forged, and I doubt that it was on purpose. I'm thinking probably more likely is a shipping error, that no one caught. It is a very strange situation though, as I've seen copies of the Trade editions here, but I never remember them being of poor quality as you describe it. It is most certainly a weird situation. Too bad you don't still have it.

Edit: You might be able to find what your copy was via this link: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...le=Test+Thread
                          Yeah, doesn't seem likely it was forged, but I just can't believe all these years I thought I had the limited. I seriously thought of contacting them because just from the looks of it, it looked like an ordinary trade edition. And it was!! Yeah, I'd really want that back because it would probably be worth much more than I paid for it. A simple trade edition in a slipcase, but if they were supposed to be unsigned, why was mine signed and numbered (I think it was numbered) and it came in a slipcase?? Surely someone as PS publishing could not have possibly missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

I forgot to look at the link you provided. That's it!! http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...e+-+S+L+Miller
                            But it says signed and numbered limited? I thought these were the trade versions like the photos on this page? I still don't know what the other are with the red traycases.

Comment

Well, I guess price is all relative, I've got a couple on order with CD (lettered SoD V 2, FDNS and IT) that cost a little more than I thought I'd ever pay for a "book". Then again, as I've discovered (to my delight) some books are not "just books" As regards a suggestion of what to sell off to assist in getting your annuity, you're asking the wrong bloke - I'm 50 next year and, at this point in time, I'd sooner part with an internal organ than just one of my treasures. Maybe that'll change in the future, but for now, to paraphrase your NRA "you'll pry my books from my cold, dead fingers ). Man, it sounds like you have in your possession possibly more books than I've seen in my life, never mind what I actually own myself - although it sounds like you consider this to be a curse rather than a blessing? If this is true, curse me six ways to Sunday and I'll be a happy man
                              Last edited by Grant Wootton; 09-17-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Well, I guess price is all relative, I've got a couple on order with CD (lettered SoD V 2, FDNS and IT) that cost a little more than I thought I'd ever pay for a "book". Then again, as I've discovered (to my delight) some books are not "just books" As regards a suggestion of what to sell off to assist in getting your annuity, you're asking the wrong bloke - I'm 50 next year and, at this point in time, I'd sooner part with an internal organ than just one of my treasures. Maybe that'll change in the future, but for now, to paraphrase your NRA "you'll pry my books from my cold, dead fingers ). Man, it sounds like you have in your possession possibly more books than I've seen in my life, never mind what I actually own myself - although it sounds like you consider this to be a curse rather than a blessing? If this is true, curse me six ways to Sunday and Ill be a happy man
                                LOL 50? That's nothing. 70? Yeah, that'd probably be a lil late to invest in an annuity. " "you'll pry my books from my cold, dead fingers " LMAO. That's exactly how I feel, it's just I don't have a choice if I want that annuity. I really don't need it considering how big my pension will be (I'm not bragging btw, it's just a fact), but I also know I almost certainly won't see any social security money since this country is already all but bankrupt, and that's the main reason I want an annuity.
                                LOL no curse, I just worry about them and where to keep them. I love the damn things. Actually, I still have no clue what to do with them at this point, I just know I have to sell some somehow and not have to go on Prozac afterwards for getting rid of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X