Page 62 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2264

Thread: Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    I saw Captain Phillips yesterday. It was a great movie and I think the last 30 minutes or so was Tom Hanks at his best. 5/5

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Gravity: A veteran spacewalker and scientist on her first space mission are caught in a debris storm that destroys their craft and kills their crew. With precious little oxygen and time, the two battle the emptiness of space in an attempt to make it back home. An epic disaster movie that is a worthy successor to 2001: A Space Odyssey, everything about Gravity works perfectly: director Cuaron's consise and tense screenplay, his stunning use of state-of-the-art 3D technology, a savage and nuanced performance by Sandra Bullock (anybody who thought her award for The Blind Side was a fluke better think again) make for one of the most exhilarating movie going experiences in years. Besides, any movie that features the Macarena in space should not be ignored!

This movie is what 3D was made for. It gives filmgoers a veiw of the reality of space never before seen on the big screen and leaves an indelible impression that will remain with you for a long time. It is the very definition of a "Big Screen Adventure" and those who miss it in theaters will be sorry when they see it on the small screen. It's that great.

5/5
    Last edited by srboone; 10-14-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    I want to see this at the local Imax. I'll bet tickets are hard to get, as I have yet to see one single bad review.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    IMAX 3D is the way to go fot his one. That's the way I saw it. Definitely worth the extra cash. I saw it on a Thursday on its last showing in IMAX at my local AMC.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Teriw's Avatar
    My brother in law refuses to see Captain Philips after hearing that its all bullshit. I don't know which is true but I don't care either and it seems to be a "renter" either way.

Prisoners(7/10) I thought this was an excellent movie with some great acting. I give it a 7 simply for being too long. I can do 2.5-3 hours for something with alot more going on but for something like this, it should have been 1:45-2hr max.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Saw this on Friday on a 70' GXL screen in 3D with Dolby Atmos sound. While the images are stunning the actual story was blah to me. Glad I saw it, don't need to see it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Gravity: A veteran spacewalker and scientist on her first space mission are caught in a debris storm that destroys their craft and kills their crew. With precious little oxygen and time, the two battle the emptiness of space in an attempt to make it back home. An epic disaster movie that is a worthy successor to 2001: A Space Odyssey, everything about Gravity works perfectly: director Cuaron's consise and tense screenplay, his stunning use of state-of-the-art 3D technology, a savage and nuanced performance by Sandra Bullock (anybody who thought her award for The Blind Side was a fluke better think again) make for one of the most exhilarating movie going experiences in years. Besides, any movie that features the Macarena in space should not be ignored!

This movie is what 3D was made for. It gives filmgoers a veiw of the reality of space never before seen on the big screen and leaves an indelible impression that will remain with you for a long time. It is the very definition of a "Big Screen Adventure" and those who miss it in theaters will be sorry when they see it on the small screen. It's that great.

5/5

Carrie: I left the theater wondering "Why does this movie exist?" A re-imagining of a story should have something new to say or a new insight about the work. This movie simply tries to replicate the suspense and horror of Brian De Palma's classic without offering anything new. So, looking at the film itself, it has a strong cast and some nice effects (and some questionable ones). Moretz seems oddly cast as Carrie, but she pulls off the role admirably, only delving into hokey melodrama in the immediate aftermath of the prom. Moore is quite good as Carrie's mother and has a really nice scene in the tailor shop in which she works. And Chris Hargensen has a memorably guresome death. But, despite this, the whole film comes off uninspired and lackluster.

A decent film. Not bad, but not particularly good.

2.5/5
    Last edited by srboone; 10-19-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    I think the reason for the Carrie remake is the pertinence of the anti-bullying message which has been in the spotlight these last few years. I am quite looking forward to checking it out, might even do so this weekend. I expected Moore to be to top notch as Carrie's mom, but other than that I am not expecting anything to amazing.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I think the reason for the Carrie remake is the pertinence of the anti-bullying message which has been in the spotlight these last few years. I am quite looking forward to checking it out, might even do so this weekend. I expected Moore to be to top notch as Carrie's mom, but other than that I am not expecting anything to amazing.
    I tend to think it's just more the trend of late. Remaking the movie for a new generation. Also Hollywood is nothing if not greedy. So if there's money to be made on it, expect it to get made.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    The trailers I saw for Carrie looked pretty good, and Chloe Moretz in a fantastic young star - I've liked pretty much all her movies. That being said - I am not surprised if there are lackluster reviews on Carrie as well, it's a re-hash right???

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I tend to think it's just more the trend of late. Remaking the movie for a new generation. Also Hollywood is nothing if not greedy. So if there's money to be made on it, expect it to get made.
    It's not really a trend now, it has always been a trend in Hollywood. It's just that now we are getting 70's and 80's remakes, so they seem more fresh to us.This just seems like the right time for this movie to be remade. it's 40th anniversary, the media scrutiny on bullying (they're even passing new laws here to stop bullying).

Well, if I hadn't seen the original or if I was new to the horror genre, I'd probably have liked it more. As for the time being right...I've always said that every generation has the right to prove to the older generation that the fears the older harbors about the younger are well-founded.

It still was an unnecessary remake.
    Last edited by srboone; 10-19-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    They had the girl who plays Carrie on a local radio show and I have to admit, I'm intrigued. I'm not sure I'll hit this one on the big screen, but definitely a rental as soon as it hits iTunes. Still waiting to see Gravity. My son's baseball is almost finished, so I'll have a bit more freedom once that happens. I did see This Is The End, though. Not much to say about the movie, as it was awful. But it had those few moments that were hilarious, nothing more than that for the wife and I.

I saw an interview itn CHole Grace Moretz and was struck by the fact that...she talks like a 16 year old! She spoke of her awe at King's writings and things that she was just discovering with a refreshing naivte. It made me want to see the movie even more. She struck me as someone who is honestly in love with what is her chosen career. I look forward to Laggies, The Equalizer, Sils Maria, and Dark Places--movies coming out in 2014 with her in them (even though one or two of them sound like chick flicks which I'll probably skip).
    "I'm a vegan. "

Carrie (2013); It was a decent remake/re-interpretation of the book. They try to modernize it by adding the social media aspect, but really it's almost thrown in as an after thought. I am not opposed to trying to make it more relevant. I think the director should have explored that aspect more, or stuck to it's original time period. The cast is great, but something about the directing left me wanting. Nothing on the Depalma adaptation, but in some ways truer to Stephen King's original novel. After watching it I have to agree with Squire, it felt unnecessary.

I thought one of the students webcasting the chaos live from inside the prom until he/she died would have been a neat touch.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    I thought one of the students webcasting the chaos live from inside the prom until he/she died would have been a neat touch.
    Other than the end they never show the effect of the video that was made on Carrie. It's all about the event itself, and not the aftermath. They kept Carrie as a stone age Christian, but I would think even most fundamentalist have a computer or access to one, or they could have shown her discover it at school. She sees it at the end, and it's supposed to be shocking, but that whole aspect just felt very thrown in, and not planned. She has no time to process the video in the last scene, to brood on it, instead she sees Tommy unconscious and "snaps". Yet she still seems in perfect control, the Depalma version was truly chaotic. Which to me is a shame because there was the opportunity to make a movie that would stand out as an important film of it's time, like the original Carrie did.
    Last edited by Theli; 10-21-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    After finishing Trouble with the Curve, I had to wonder why anyone thought that this was a good movie to make. Everything in this movie was by-the-numbers: the characters were all copies of other characters we've seen and liked better in other movies and the script took no chances and held no surprises. The only thing that made this movie worthwhile were the slew of great actors they got for this film: Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, John Goodman, and Robert Patrick just to name a few. When the credits rolled, I was left wondering what had made them all want to do this movie, besides maybe a paycheck. Okay film if you're a huge fan of sport flicks or any of the cast.

Just watched the Lords of Salem. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but it sure did deliver. It's not tied into Zombie's previous horror movies, and in many ways stands apart in themes and execution. This is an occult horror movie, and does not have a lot of gore. It focuses more on surreal and disturbing scenes. The story is interesting though nothing to unpredictable or original, it's just that it hasn't been visited in years. It reminded me a lot of movies like Suspiria or Alucarda, and other 70's occult movies.

Just a reminder.

Thursday, 24Oct at 7 pm, is the next Rifftrax Live! event. Those certifiable MST3K types will be riffing Night of the Living Dead. This is a one time showing (no encore is planned as of yet.) Sure to be a fun evening.

http://www.rifftrax.com/home

Scroll to bottom right of site.
    Last edited by srboone; 10-22-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "