No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the great thing about art. Its all subjective and there is no right or wrong reaction to it. You really liked the movie and that's awesome. I'm sincerely jealous. I wanted to see a really good SF movie too.

But for me, that did not happen.

None of the characters worked for me and any attachment to the movie is purely an intellectual one. My emotional reaction was a mixture of meh and WTF?

I do love the look of the picture and the 3D was fantastic.

The business rules of movie making may have changed but not the ones for story telling. I feel a movie should be a complete story - unless we are told ahead of time that it is part of a larger story like LOTR.

Given the BO numbers for Prometheus to date the chances of those questions ever getting answered do not look so good though.

Your reasons as to why you liked the movie are well stated and I enjoyed reading them.

Comment

I hope they make sequels. I enjoyed the movie a lot, as per my review above, but it could be that I didn't get my expectations to high going in, which is something I try to do now so I don't ruin any movie for myself. For example, I haven't read anything on and limited my viewing of the previews for Dark Knight Rising which I also did for The Dark Knight. And The Dark Knight is probably top 2 or 3 for me.

Comment

I try to limit my exposure to TDKR hype, but it's getting more and more difficult to do so as 20July draws near. I've already got my tickets for the trilogy showing on 19July! 9 hours of Batman...
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

That sounds cool. I wont be able to see it release weekend as I will be traveling.

One more thing on Prometheus. As I get further removed from seeing it, it only seems gets better. I want to see it again but may hold off until the home release.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
            I try to limit my exposure to TDKR hype, but it's getting more and more difficult to do so as 20July draws near. I've already got my tickets for the trilogy showing on 19July! 9 hours of Batman...
            Enjoy! I did that for LOTR and they showed the extended editions of the first two movies too! Very exhausting but sooooo rewarding. Nothing beats sharing an awesome experience with a bunch of like minded people.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
              One more thing on Prometheus. As I get further removed from seeing it, it only seems gets better. I want to see it again but may hold off until the home release.
              See, and I'm just the opposite. Sitting in the theater, I totally enjoyed the movie. But thinking back on it I have a lot of questions and some of them may not be addressed in sequels.

Spoiler!

Again, none of this kept me from enjoying the movie while I was watching. Out of the theater I give it 4/5, but with my later reflection I've come down to 3.5. I still want to see where everything is going next, though.
              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Rock of Ages

4/10

This would have gotten a 5/10, which from me basically means. meh, it was alright. Instead it gets a 4 because I will be happy if I NEVER have to hear Jullianne Hough sing again! Its was a decent rom com, which is basically what it was. The music was great, for the most part but thats about it really. Was quite stupid.

We were gonna go see Abe Lincoln cuz we heard rock of ages sucked but it was only playing in 3D and Mason can't see 3D and refuses to pay for something he can't see which is understandable. Personally, I didnt care to see either but it was movie night so we had to see something.

Next week....Ted

Comment

Moonrise Kingdom: Two troubled pre-teens fall in love and decide to run away together, leading the citizens of New Penzance Island on a merry chase. This is definitely a Wes Anderson film--and it just might be his best; at least it's the most Anderdsonian of all of Wes Anderson's movies. It's a moving diorama full of wacky and surreal moments that never loses sight of its heart (unlike a lot of his movies, which do). The heart of the movie, of course, is first love. Everybody delivers pitch perfect deadpan performances that display every bit of the vitality of their characters--from newcomers Gilman and Hayward to veterans Willis, Murray, McDormand, Norton, Schwartzman, Balaban, and Kietel to the the Khaki Scouts of Troop 55. Even New Penzance Island (a place that exists only in Wes Anderson's head--though, it's obviously situated on the East coast) becomes a character in the movie. Far and away one of the best movies I've seen this year.

If you're a Wes Anderson fan, this is a MUST on the big screen (if you can find it--I had to travel to a small art house theater in KC to see it, as it's still in limited release).

5/5
                  Last edited by srboone; 06-30-2012, 03:59 AM.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Ted - Hilarious! If you don't like Seth MacFarlane then you may not like it. I, however, enjoyed it ALOT! One of the funniest I have seen in a while, along with That's my boy which surprised me. I took one point away from the movie because Seth seemed to have done the music himself. I didn't read the credits so maybe not but the music seemed a lil family guy to me and was a bit annoying. But other than the music I didnt find a damn thing wrong with it...again, if you don't like Seth's humour then its probably not a movie for you.

9/10

Comment

Also thought i'd mention that it wasnt movie night(That's Tuesday) but we went anyway cuz I had the day off since I am working 7am-3pm all weekend for the long weekend. I factored in that it'd be busy since it was friday but I forgot it was grading day. fucking kids. They only bothered my in the popcorn line though. I didnt get my seat either. grr! I had a good time. Movie was fantastic.

Comment

Hmmm...I can't stand "Family Guy" or "American Dad", that's why I skipped Ted. Probably a good thing. Glad you liked it though.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Not a fan of american dad and I dont like family guy anymore. Its just not funny anymore...kind of repetitive i guess.

Comment

I don't care for McFarlane's rapid-fire dumb humor. It's as if he knows his stuff isn't really funny, so he inundates you one attempt after another, in hopes that the collective will amuse you rather than the individual. It works for the ADHD crowd, I guess...
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

You saying I have ADHD?

Comment

No. It's simply an expression for a short attention span. It's why I find quick-cut editing annoying in movies. I can sit down and focus on something for hours and that's not the way today's world operates. That's all. Of course, if you have ADHD...
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X