Page 13 of 113 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Someone else online said he didn't like this movie in the 80s when it was titled Over the Top and starred Sylvester Stallone. He has a point there...but that was a mediocre film.
    Last edited by srboone; 10-07-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Insidious - 9/11

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Someone else online said he like this movie in the 80s when it was titled Over the Top and starred Sylvester Stallone. He has a point there...but that was a mediocre film.
    But the knuckle crack thing as his fingers shifted was like, "ooooohhhhhh...." LOL

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmosis7 View Post
    But the knuckle crack thing as his fingers shifted was like, "ooooohhhhhh...." LOL
    yeah, nothing like here--the violence is mostly done to the robots.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Greenelk's Avatar
    Watched Skyline as this weeks Sky Premier Saturday night movie, and feel that I should have a letter of apology from every single person that took part in the creation of that film. Truly awful, on every level.
    http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

I avoid anything with David Balfour in it. Sorry you had to sit through it...
    "I'm a vegan. "

The Thing: The problem with this new version of the story "Who Goes There" is the same one that Carpenter ran into in 1982: the more you show of a monster, the less scary it is. Both movies do a good job of utilizing special effects to create a grotesque being, and both movies suffer from it. But 10 minutes into this new version, the monster has been shown in it's full glory. At least Carpenter built suspense for 45 minutes before showing the alien. And Carpenter's SFX were a 2D rendering of a 3D effect. Today's effects are 2D renderings of a 1D effect that is made to look 3D. I thought the effects in this new "The Thing" (as tecnically sound as they were) looked flat and uninspired. And when that's the base of the movie, it loses it's appeal. I keep thinking how much terrific monster movies like Alien and Signs (and even The Thing from Another World) would have suffered from showing too much too soon.

2.5/5 (3.5/5 for Carpenter's movie)
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Too bad. i was really looking forwards to seeing this movie, but the negative reviews outnumber the positive ones.
    Don't think I'll bother.

Re showing the monster too soon/too much, I think Ridley Scott did show too much of his alien.
    Near the end, when it was completely shown - such an obvious man-in-suit.
    Love the movie, but that reveal has always bothered me.

sk

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    the more you show of a monster, the less scary it is.
    It has been a while since I saw the movie, but I believe I remember this being why I liked Alien so much. The full body of the alien was more hidden in shadows even when it came into full view, with only those mandibles coming at you after a long wait. Very effective first time I watched that movie.

This was also why Signs worked for me the first time I saw it.

Originally didn't buy into the guy playing Green Lantern, as I grew up reading the comic. But, he pulled it off. There was a moment where I swore I was watching The Never-ending Story, but then it recovered. I'd rack it up a 4.5/5.

Godzilla is my hero, but Gamera is a close second.
    No, wait, that should be Mothra.
    Love these Japanese kaiju flicks, in spite of everything that could be so much better: acting, effects, storyline, etc. There's nothing better than seeing Tokyo thrashed, again and again.
    This one's not bad at all (Gamera, Guardian of the Universe) - even the effects were pretty, er..., effective.

****/*****

sk

The Gamera films are awesome! The guys at Mystery Science Theater 3000 actually felt bad about riffing them because THEY liked them so much. But they had some great jokes they wanted to use.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Watched Thor and while not the best Marvel film was a pleasant enough way to spend 90 minutes or so. I knew next to nothing about Thor having never read any of the comics so went into this totally blind. To me the main focus of the film was to introduce the character of Thor for the upcoming Avengers flick. 3/5

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    To me the main focus of the film was to introduce the character of Thor for the upcoming Avengers flick. 3/5
    That's what I pretty much got out of it, also a lot of "origin" stories are a bit like that.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Zookeeper! UGH!

Zookeeper! UGH!
    lol, I hated that movie the first time I saw it, but loved it the 2nd time I saw it. Think I was more in the mood for a stupid movie the 2nd time, because it is a very stupid movie (which is what it is meant to be)

Zookeeper! UGH!
    Another rating scale Ken? UGH to BOOYAH?

And I liked both Zoopkeeper and Paul Blart! Inocuous and harmless comedies, both; but silly and enjoyable!

I especially liked how Paul Blart demonstrated that the difference between James Bond and..well..anyone else, is just a camera angle!
    "I'm a vegan. "

I enjoyed Paul Blart. I thought it wasn't bad. There were points in Zookeeper when I laughed, slight enjoyment. I'm not sure I would venture anything over 2/5 at best, and only that because the kids enjoyed it. But...

Spoiler!

Again, to each their own. I guess I just expected something more humorous than it really ended up being. I do not think this was on the level of humor even seen in Blart.

Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion.

Again, a lot of harmless fun. Legion looked a bit fake, but who cares. It's all part of the kaiju experience.

****/*****

sk

I enjoyed Paul Blart. I thought it wasn't bad. There were points in Zookeeper when I laughed, slight enjoyment. I'm not sure I would venture anything over 2/5 at best, and only that because the kids enjoyed it. But...

Spoiler!

Again, to each their own. I guess I just expected something more humorous than it really ended up being. I do not think this was on the level of humor even seen in Blart.
    You did better than I did the first time I saw Zoolander because I didn't find it close to funny at any point in the movie. I must not have been in the right mood for it when I saw it though, because I have found it hilarious ever since the 2nd viewing. Not a movie I would watch over and over, but good for a watch on occasion though