No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It pretty much is what I expected, a lot of parts were kind of "what the heck?" or "what just happened?" type moments. Overall I thought it was OK, but just OK. I said to my wife (who didn't like it, nor did my 17 yr old daughter) that it was more of a slow burn type of movie.

The accents, I had no problem with, but I thought the dialogue itself was difficult to hear at times.

LOL - It didn't help too that there was a crazy lady yelling to herself (sitting by herself) random things all movie either who sitting the other side of my wife.

Comment

It was exactly what I had hoped for, but dared not to expect. It was a slow creepy well made film. It was very visually stunning, filled with beautiful imagery and symbolism. The sets and location was minimalistic, but worked well and added a isolated atmosphere. The family drama adds a certain tenseness to the film as well, which is only accentuated by the superb acting (even by the children). The music though sparse was very apt, and worked perfectly with the rest of the film. I also appreciate that the director didn't pull any punches and made a movie he knew not everyone would love, but was true to himself and the film's intention.

If I were to liken it to any other film, it would probably be Rosemary's Baby.

Edit: It's actually in many ways the antithesis of modern filmmaking: big budget, big action, family friendly, sporadic humour to keep everyone in good spirits... and a dozen writers just to make a big sham of filmmaking instead of art.
      Last edited by Theli; 03-08-2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

There's an interesting interview on npr this past weekend with the director:
        http://www.npr.org/2016/03/06/469383...thout-the-gore

Comment

The Final Girls: A fun and sometimes funny homage to 80s slasher film. Taissa Farmiga is Max, who is struggling to deal with the death of her actress mother who's one claim to fame was dying in a Friday the 13th-type slasher, Camp Bloodbath. At a revival screening, Max and four others become trapped in the movie and find themselves trying to find their way out while dealing with a machete-wielding killer.

There is a lot going in in the scant 88 minute run time of the film and one can't help but feel that a little extra breathing room might have helped flesh out the cast and the world-building that goes on once the group is trapped within the film. A lot of time is spent on gimmicks playing within the fact that they are literally trapped in a movie (as opposed to being transported to a world where the movie is real). That being said, there is a surprising amount of heart in the movie that helps save the day, and the cast is uniformly good at their roles, especially Angela Trimbur as the sex-starved Tina. I even enjoyed Farmiga, who I found to be one of the rather frustrating parts of American Horror Story's first season and Adam Devine, who I always just get the feeling that he's doing a Jack Black impersonation.

I enjoyed it, though wasn't blown away and if someone was looking for a movie that did a good job of poking fun at and/or deconstructing the slasher film, I'd still point them to Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. Grade: C+

Comment

Predestination: There's not much that I can say about Predestination that won't spoil the movie's numerous twists and turns, but suffice to say that Ethan Hawke plays a time traveler in this adaptation of the Heinlein story "'--All You Zombies--'". I hadn't read the story, so I was completely caught off guard about the roads the movie would take and I absolutely loved it.

While watching this, I realized how much of a fan I've become of Ethan Hawke. In the past, he's always just been that grungy guy from Reality Bites, even though I've liked his turns in Training Day and Lord of War but I've become more and more intrigued by him lately as an actor. He seems to be picking rather interesting movies these days with the likes of The Purge, Sinister, Boyhood, and the upcoming Born to Be Blue. Not all have been successful, but all have been interesting. Sarah Snook also turns in one heck of a performance. Grade: A

Comment

Not really a movie, but I've gotten through all of Dare Devil Season 2 on Netflix. Season 1 was everything I hoped it would be and more, and with season 2 they took all of that and cranked it up even more. The highlight of the whole season so far has to be The Punisher. He's never been done better. I can't wait to see what they do with the rest of these Netflix Marvel shows.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Thanks for these Sock Monkey, including the nod to Ethan Hawke. We're agreed on the qualities of his acting and choices of roles. Haven't seen Boyhood, but loved what he did years ago in Gattaca too, a criminally underappreciated, thinker-of-a film. In fact just you mentioning him might make me throw in the DVD again - it's been a while. Wish I had the Blu-ray.
                Last edited by bugen; 03-22-2016, 08:36 PM.
                “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Keep meaning to check out the Daredevil series. I've heard nothing but good things. Good to hear The Punisher is in there, one of Marvel's best heroes.
                  -John Barth

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                    Thanks for these Sock Monkey, including the nod to Ethan Hawke. We're agreed on the qualities of his acting and choices of roles. Haven't seen Boyhood, but loved what he did years ago in Gattaca too, a criminally underappreciated, thinker-of-a film. In fact just you mentioning him might make me throw in the DVD again - it's been a while. Wish I had the Blu-ray.
                    Oh, yeah, Gattaca is one of my favorites! I agree that it is way underappreciated. Boyhood felt a little overhyped when I watched it, but I did really like it. I've also been meaning to get around to watching the Before trilogy (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight). I'm just flat-out packed with DVDs and Blu-Rays to catch up on that I don't think I can add three more to the mix right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                      Not really a movie, but I've gotten through all of Dare Devil Season 2 on Netflix. Season 1 was everything I hoped it would be and more, and with season 2 they took all of that and cranked it up even more. The highlight of the whole season so far has to be The Punisher. He's never been done better. I can't wait to see what they do with the rest of these Netflix Marvel shows.
                      I've continued to hear nothing but good things about Season 2 (and also the prerequisite bashing of Season 1, which, though slow, wasn't bad by any means). I plan on getting around to this, but I've got about 15 various movies to get through first, then I have Hannibal Season 3 and I haven't finished The Wire or Battlestar Galactica yet either and I've been putting those off for close to two years now. I won't even mention that I'm also doing a rewatch of Buffy and Angel as concurrent series... Dear god, I have too much television to watch.

I did just finish Game of Thrones Season 5 and I loved it as much as I thought I would. The show is just so well written and directed. And honestly, I just can't get enough of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion.

Comment

Pan's Labyrinth

Still a bit upset by the film I don't really need to say much to rate it. Now my favorite, by a good margin, of the 6 GDT directed films I've seen.

5 stars
                        -John Barth

Comment

Pan's Labyrinth is brilliant. I love Del Toro's Spanish language films. They tend to be more personal and so imaginative. Cronos and Devil's Backbone are are so good. And though not a Del Toro film, The Orphanage is also a great film that feels like a spiritual relative to what he does.

Comment

Yeah, I think you're right about the more personal thing. Devil's Backbone I've missed but I'll check it out. Thanks!
                            -John Barth

Comment

Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone is great. Though not directed by Del Toro The Orphanage (El Orfonato) is produced by him I believe and I think you can see the influence of his works in it.

Comment

I saw Batman V. Superman last night. I liked it a lot. I will say that if you're hesitant because of the poor reviews for the movie, don't be. Ignore the reviews, go in and see it with an open mind. I think the reviewers have been waiting since Man of Steel to rip this movie to shreds. It's by no means a perfect movie, but I think it's pretty good. I think if you like Zack Snyder movies and you like Man of Steel, you will definitely like this one. Even if you don't like Man of Steel you will probably still at least enjoy this one. I'd say that if this was a Marvel movie, I'd probably rank it in the top third of Marvel movies. I think it's better than Age of Ultron for sure, and I was a strong defender of Age of Ultron. All of the casting / performances are great. Even Jessie Eisenberg, though my only complain there is that they Lex Luthor they wrote for him to play isn't "my" Lex Luthor. Though this one works in this movie, just not the version of Lex I would have preferred.

Overall though I say check it out. It's certainly worth a watch, even with it's low Rotten Tomatoes score. I think this is one of those movies where the general public's opinions and the critics opinions just aren't going to line up.
                                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Working...
                                X