No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to The Revenant and liked it but have found that I've hardly thought about it at all since I saw it. Hmmmm.
    On the other hand, I've had a little SK movie binge the past couple weeks - Shawshank, Green Mile, Stand by Me, Misery, Christine, Firestarter, with others in the queue. The first three are some of my favorite movies, the others are nostalgic guilty pleasures. Having watched Stand by Me throughout my teen years and being about the same age as the cast members, this movie still has such an impact on me. I actually watched through it twice, the first time around including the commentary with Rob Reiner, Corey Feldman and Wil Wheaton. I always thought of myself as being most like Gordie, without the writing inclinations. Rob's comments about his own relationship with his father and reflecting that in Gordie's relationship with his father made the perspective seem even more applicable. They also discussed River a bit and this led to watching a couple other films he was cast in - Running on Empty and The Mosquito Coast. I'd seen Running before but the first time I'd seen Mosquito. Such a great young actor and so tragic he died so early.
    For days after re-watching these, I was still thinking about them. Great filmmaking (and great source material as well).
    I've also started From the Earth to the Moon, which I haven't watched since it aired on HBO in 1998. I really enjoyed this production when it aired and now I'm finding that I just want to watch another episode when one finishes. A real page-turner, so to speak.

Comment

We must be around the same age because Stand by Me has the same affect on me. One movie I can still watch over and over to this day. The earlier movies you listed I saw before I even knew who SK was. I remember catching Carrie on late night TV when I was quite young and thinking, "Yea, my folks wouldn't approve of this!". I discovered the book to be much better of course several years down the road. I wish someone would remake Christine. Although a fan of the movie (bigger one of the book; one of my favs), I feel there is a lot more of the story that could be add to film.

I also really like River's acting. You've got me intrigued now as I'm sure I've seen those movies but wouldn't mind revisiting them just to make sure.

Comment

Has anybody been watching The Expanse on SCYFY? It's based on the James S.A. Corey novels. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
          Has anybody been watching The Expanse on SCYFY? It's based on the James S.A. Corey novels. I'm really enjoying it so far.
          I haven't seen this yet, but I've been meaning to. Alas, I am WAY behind on a lot of my shows right now. I have season two of True Detective--which has almost been universally panned, but I'm still going to give a shot because I like Colin Farrell and the underrated Rachel McAdams--and the final season of Hannibal and after that I'm still trying to get to the final three seasons of The Wire.

Comment

Sicario: This one seemed to fly under a lot of people's radars, including mine, which is a shame as this tale of an FBI agent (played by Emily Blunt, who--after this and The Edge of Tomorrow--is quickly becoming one of my favorite actresses) who is recruited for a special task force to help take down a Mexican drug lord, is fantastic. The movie is suspenseful and crackles with energy, yet never feels rushed and allows the characters the room to breathe and develop. The script itself lives in a moral grey area that touches on topics of torture, vengeance, legal sidestepping by government agencies and their operatives while never once becoming preachy or pigeon-holing its characters, allowing the audience to back a character one scene and hate them the next. Dark, unrelenting, and immensely watchable, I can't recommend this one enough. Grade: A

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
              Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              I haven't seen this yet, but I've been meaning to. Alas, I am WAY behind on a lot of my shows right now. I have season two of True Detective--which has almost been universally panned, but I'm still going to give a shot because I like Colin Farrell and the underrated Rachel McAdams--and the final season of Hannibal and after that I'm still trying to get to the final three seasons of The Wire.
              What did we do before DVR?! Tivo is patiently waiting for me to get through many shows to included the ones you guys listed with the exception of True Detective season two. No where near as good as season one but apples and oranges.

Comment

Hail, Caesar!: Poor George Clooney. He's the Coen Brothers' perfect Hollywood buffoon. This is his 4th outing with the siblings and he's played the buffoon each time. It's a good thing he has a sense of humor. Hail, Caesar! is a dazzling send up and and satire of 50s Hollywood that suffers from a weak narrative and an unbalanced tone. Immaculate period detail, fine performances from the entire company and a scene-stealing turn by relative newcomer Alden Ehrenreich can't save what should have been Coen gold from mediocrity. But it was worth an early morning $5.20 showing.

3/5
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Deadpool was incredible. I'm going to see it again tomorrow. Fair warning though it's rated R for a reason, and if you know anything about the character, you'll know it really needed to be rated R. I knew from the second the opening credits rolled I was going to love this movie.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    Deadpool was incredible. I'm going to see it again tomorrow. Fair warning though it's rated R for a reason, and if you know anything about the character, you'll know it really needed to be rated R. I knew from the second the opening credits rolled I was going to love this movie.
                    Great to hear! I am so looking forward to seeing it!

Comment

I've heard some reviewers calling this the most true adaptation of a comic book you will ever see. I have to agree, it works just soo well. This movie isn't going to be for everyone though, especially those that have problems with foul language, sex, and "ultra" violence.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        Agree. Great movie.

Comment

I watched the first episode of 11.22.63 this afternoon and am very pleased with the results so far. Great casting for Jake and Al. I have bad memories of Under the Dome: Seriously, WTH Was That? so this is a nice surprise....as long as they don't decide to produce another season.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                            I have bad memories of Under the Dome: Seriously, WTH Was That?
                            No doubt!

Comment

I also watched the first episode of 11.22.63 last night. I really enjoyed it and at least for the first episode I feel it stayed very true to the book. For those that do not have Hulu but have an xBox, xBox is streaming the first episode free right now. Not sure how long that will remain in place but it is how I watched it. I liked it enough that I may have to subscribe to Hulu for the duration of the series.

Regarding the comparison to Under The Dome I personally think they have much better source material. I consider Under the Dome a mediocre story and 11.22.63 a very good story. To top that off the makers chose not to follow the story to leave the timing open ended. I think I only made it through about half of the first season of Under the Dome.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                I think I only made it through about half of the first season of Under the Dome.
                                I don't think I even made it that far, Martin.

Comment

Working...
                                X