No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotlight: A newspaper procedural about the breaking of the Catholic church pedophilia scandal in Boston in 2002. It is really too formulaic and hollowly melodramatic to be truly effective, though several of the cast give good performances. It doesn't exploit its rough subject matter for shock and dramatic purposes; but it also doesn't really dig into the veil of vehement obfuscation within Boston's catholic communities that allowed this crime to persist. It also completely whitewashes Boston's climate of anti-Semitism. It begs to be compared to All the President's Men, but it is nowhere near what the film that was. It's more culturally significant as keeping this issue front and center than in it's bleached cinematic presentation.

Which means that Hollywood will give it a generous amount of awards.

2/5
    Last edited by srboone; 01-02-2016, 04:59 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      The Hateful 8: Tarantino's second Western, this film isn't as provocative or violent as Django Unchained, but it is vastly superior in terms of Tarantino's growth as a director. In the post-civil war era, a bounty hunter transporting a female prisoner to Red Rock, WY where she will be hanged for her crimes meets up with an ex-slave bounty hunter and the new sheriff of Red Rock along the way. They are forced to take shelter from a blizzard in Monnie's Haberdashery, where four other stangers are currently quartered and the owner is mysteriously absent. Pay close attention to the title of this movie. This movie is grim and nihilistic. None of these characters are particularly likeable; they all are ruled by hate of some sort and there is no real moral compass present in the movie (and given the type and amount of vulgarity in the movie, this will be a big problem for a lot of people). There will be vile things said and done, without remorse of any sort. If you've ever wondered what a movie written and co-directed by of Sam Peckinpah, John Ford, John Carpenter and....Agatha Christie might look like, it would probably be this film. The cinematography is stunning, the orginal score by Ennio Moiccone is simply perfect and Tarantino's new movie is a near-perfect example of movie-making as a technical craft: muscular, confident, and bloody (literally) exhilerating. The story itself is slow to start (when has Tarantino ever been in a hurry), but is peppered with the delicious dialogue and uniformly outstanding performances that distinguish a Tarantino film. When the action moves inside, the mystery deepens until it explodes into it's stunning and brilliant finale (or "Last Chapter"). Some people will find the 3-hour run-time trying (especially for a movie that is 90% dialog and 10% action), but I was awestruck the whole way. Discussions over why each character is as hateful as he/she is are sure to be had, and the answers will probably each highlight a particular societal ill. If that's the case and the eight represent a "melting pot" and the Haberdashery represents a "country"... No answers are given, but if no solutions are sought, the outcome could be...frightening to say the least.

Any one of the perfomances could be nominated for an Oscar. But Jennifer Jason Leigh as the sociopatic prisoner Daisy Domergue is simply great. One of the best films of 2015.

5/5
      I'm glad you liked it as much as you did. I didn't like it nearly as much as I wanted to. I think I would've liked it more if it was maybe half an hour shorter, which is odd because I typically like long movies. At the end of the day I liked it a lot, just not nearly as much as some of his other films.

Edit: Part of it could have just been hype levels as well. There was a lot of buzz around the movie and ton of expectations, and it maybe just couldn't live up to the buzz for me.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Star Wars VII

Spoiler!

Comment

The Revenant: Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio), a trapper hired to provide winter provisions for a military outpost gets mauled by a bear and is left for dead by fellow trapper John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy) who also kills Glass' Pawnee son (who is fictional). But Glass survives and sets out not only to survive, but get revenge on Fitzgerald.

One of 2015's most over-rated movies, I fear. The movie is narratively a mess and about 30 minutes too long. Director Iñárritu does some amazing things in this film, starting with a one-shot attack by a tribe of Sioux looking for the kidnapped daughter of the chief. Of course, the bear-mauling is also a one-shot, but the effectiveness of that technique is lessened by the time the film gets to that scene. And his handling of the spiritual world of the Native American is flat and boring. The movie is over-directed. But the film looks beautiful--cinematography is the movie's strongest aspect. But that isn't really what the buzz over The Revenant is about; the only consequential item concerning the movie is whether Leo will bring home Oscar gold for his performance. Probably. Not that he deserves it. (He was better in Gangs of New York and I thought he was grossly miscast.) Leo grunts and limps his way through most of it and is interesting to watch when he's fighting or falling, but when it's him on the survival trail, he's boring to watch. There are several close-ups of Leo's eyes in the movie--and they are lifeless. I think of Tom Hanks in Castaway; most of the film was him by himself on a desert island; Hanks made that movie compelling and interesting to watch. here, the acting laurels go to Tom Hardy (whose face is once again covered by a mask--this time a bushy mountain man's beard).

The movie felt like it was twice its 156 minute run time. But if you survive, don't come after me seeking revenge. I tried to warn you!

2/5
          Last edited by srboone; 01-10-2016, 03:30 AM.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

while I was in the theater they could have called it the Hateful9, cause I hated this movie. It had moments, good music and camera work, but if I hadn't been with seeing it with a friend, I would have left in the middle of the movie. I would have liked it better if the movie had only been a half an hour long....No, I probably would have walked out on that too.

Comment

The Revenant: Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio), a trapper hired to provide winter provisions for a military outpost gets mauled by a bear and is left for dead by fellow trapper John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy) who also kills Glass' Pawnee son (who is fictional). But Glass survives and sets out not only to survive, but get revenge on Fitzgerald.

One of 2015's most over-rated movies, I fear. The movie is narratively a mess and about 30 minutes too long. Director Iñárritu does some amazing things in this film, starting with a one-shot attack by a tribe of Sioux looking for the kidnapped daughter of the chief. Of course, the bear-mauling is also a one-shot, but the effectiveness of that technique is lessened by the time the film gets to that scene. And his handling of the spiritual world of the Native American is flat and boring. The movie is over-directed. But the film looks beautiful--cinematography is the movie's strongest aspect. But that isn't really what the buzz over The Revenant is about; the only consequential item concerning the movie is whether Leo will bring home Oscar gold for his performance. Probably. Not that he deserves it. (He was better in Gangs of New York and I thought he was grossly miscast.) Leo grunts and limps his way through most of it and is interesting to watch when he's fighting or falling, but when it's him on the survival trail, he's boring to watch. There are several close-ups of Leo's eyes in the movie--and they are lifeless. I think of Tom Hanks in Castaway; most of the film was him by himself on a desert island; Hanks made that movie compelling and interesting to watch. here, the acting laurels go to Tom Hardy (whose face is once again covered by a mask--this time a bushy mountain man's beard).

The movie felt like it was twice its 156 minute run time. But if you survive, don't come after me seeking revenge. I tried to warn you!

2/5
              I think I liked it a little more than you did, though probably not much. For me (like Hateful 8) this movie is bloated and way too long, and over self indulgent. Loose 20 minutes off and change the ending a bit and I think it becomes a really really good movie. I don't really have the same problems with Leo that you did though.

Spoiler!

Overall I liked it, but didn't love it.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I said I wouldn't do it.

I told myself all the way to the theater that I shouldn't do it.

But I did it anyway. I don't know why. I saw The Force Awakens again.

And I liked the movie less the second time around. What really bothered me this time around was Daisy Ridley's mugging for the camera like she was playing to the very back row in a bad community theater production of You Can't Take it with You. What on first viewing seemed cute and plucky was just plain annoying the second time around. Just like that "Lily Adams" character in the AT&T commercials: she was cute the first time, but the more I saw of her, I began to severely dislike her. (Come to think of it, kinda like me too, I would imagine! ) Anyway, I should've listened to my inner voice and gone to see The Hateful 8 a third time. Which I will. Soon.
                Last edited by srboone; 01-17-2016, 12:40 PM.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

. . . first viewing seemed cute and plucky was just plain annoying the second time around. Just like that "Lily Adams" character in the AT&T commercials: she was cute the first time, but the more I saw of her, I began to severely dislike her . . .
                  Wrong. Lily is cute every time. <3

Comment

The Visit: Not quite as triumphant a return to form for Shyamalan as most reviews have heralded the found footage flick, it is nonetheless probably some of the most fun I've had watching a horror movie in a while, even if the movie stumbles once or twice during its runtime. Shyamalan wrings every ounce of creepiness from the premise of a brother and sister visiting their estranged grandparents and the ever-escalating erratic behavior shown by the elderly couple. Ones enjoyment of the film will definitely hinge on if you can handle yet another found footage film and whether or not you find the rapping younger brother entertaining. The movie is funnier than I thought it would be and there is a tender message about forgiveness and grudges that raise the movie up a notch. Not quite to the pinnacle of The Sixth Sense or Signs, but heads and shoulders over The Lady in the Water. Grade B-

Goodnight Mommy: Two twin boys come to believe that the woman who has come home with her face bandaged from the hospital isn't who she says she is in this slow-burn thriller. The less said about the plot of the movie, the better and I would highly recommend staying far away from the both the trailer that completely mis-sells the movie and the hype that surrounds the film. Suffice to say, those that like a very slow burn that culminates in craziness in the last third will find much to chew on, which I do so there was a lot that I did like including solid performances by real-like twin brothers, Lukas and Elias Schwarz and great direction. Unfortunately, the script has a few flaws that hindered my overall enjoyment and to expound would spoil some of the twists and turns the film takes. Grade: C+

Comment

My nephew decided what movie I was going to see on Friday (which made my job easier--I've never been able to convince him to go see any of the movies I'd ordinarily choose).

Kung Fu Panda 3: Third time around for the Dreamworks franchise as Po the roly-poly panda fulfills his destiny as the new Dragon Warrior. Beautifully animated and culturally respectful, KFP3 is a kid's movie that will be enjoyed by kids. It doesn't have many of the snarky "adult" moments that are found in today's kids movies. It's just plain fun. And funny. Of all the wonderful moments this series of films has given moviegoers, the final sequence of this film which features a rewritten and delightfully reimagined cover of 1974's "Kung Fu Fighting" may be the best. And isn't that what the world really needs anway?

4/5

And my selection for the week:

The Best of Riffrax Live!: The Room: An encore presentation from last year that I missed, this one was different from all the other RTL performances I'd seen. Usually Mike, Bill and Kevin keep the riffs relatively clean, but here they let loose. The film itself is rated R and so are the a lot of the jokes. They've riffed "R" films before, but they usually cut away from the more salacious scenes (or edit them), but not here. The film itself is a chamber drama that, by itself, is depressing and traumatizing (as the RTL nuts point out) and utterly devoid of any merit other than it being so bad. Tommy Wiseau (a man of indeterminate Middle European ancestry, who has never made a film before, probably never seen a film before, and judging from the dialog has probably never interacted with a human being before) plays Johnny, a computer programmer who is about to get married to Lisa, only to find out that she is cheating on him with Mark, his best friend. The jokes are great, but the riffers do fall into a rut at the midway point for about 20 minutes. Overall, a job well done.

The Best of Riffrax Live!: The Room: 4/5

The Room: 0/5

The pre-show jokes were disappointing; I didn't learn anything new:

People who think the Star Wars prequel trilogy is superior to the original trilogy are stupid.

Alan Smithee is an anagram for M. Night Shayamalan.
                      Last edited by srboone; 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

They had riffed The Room before the Live show. It's one of the few movies they did that I just couldn't stand to watch any more of (even with their jokes). The Live event was different Riffing of course but what really helped was the alarming fact that the audience has embraced it like a cult film actually quoting lines from it and applauding the ending. The audience helped make it watchable for me. Man, what a horrible movie!

Did you see Miami Connection Squire? That's been one of my favorites so far.

Comment

I'd never watch The Room without the jokes either. Not only did I see Miami Connection riffed (it was awesome!), I remember seeing it in the theater when I was in college. Ahhhh, the 80s, when bad movies were GLORIOUSLY bad!
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Hi All,
                            Fianally saw Star Wars. It just made me sad. I had to come home and throw on The Empire Strikes Back lol!!
                            Last edited by mhatchett; 02-01-2016, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Jar Jar Abrams strikes again (another series bites the dust; another series bites the dust; and another one's gone, and another one's gone; another series bites the dust...)!
                              Last edited by srboone; 02-01-2016, 09:03 AM.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Just saw Hateful 8 and The Revenant.

Now I'm not saying I regret seeing them... But...Well to sum it up with one word: "Meh"

Hateful felt to me as if it was directed by someone who really wanted to be like Tarantino, but couldn't copy his style exactly. 3/5

The Revenant... I love me some Leo, I really do. I think he is long overdue for an Oscar, but if he gets one for this... Now I'm not trying to downplay all he went through for this role, the sacrifices, etc. But my point is that anyone can do that really. Acting wise...there just wasn't much from him here for me really. Hardy I felt was top notch though. 3/5

Comment

Working...
                                X