Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    It's a good Star Wars film. It's just not a great one. It has the look, feel and energy of the first trilogy. But it relies too heavily on story elements in the first film. And the original cast didn't have to be there, Abrams was just scoring fan boy points. Every time Abrams gets his hands on an established series (Star Trek, now Star Wars), he relies too heavily on what has come before. When he comes up with an original story (Super 8), it turns out fair to middling. I find his production credits (Joy Ride, Cloverfield, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol) more impressive than his directing credits (Star Trek, ST: Into Darkness, Super 8). I get the feeling that he feels if he were born 30 years earlier that HE would have created Star Wars. Maybe, but I don't think he has the imagination to pull it off as successfully. He's even set up story points that mirror the first trilogy:

But let me reiterate. THIS IS A GOOD MOVIE. The Force has awakened and Star Wars has been revitalized after the wimpy prequel trilogy.

Go see it. It needs to be seen in the theater. And see it in 3D. There are a couple of scenes that make that extra outlay worth it.
    I just got back from watching it and I agree with your thoughts about it, however I did like how they tied in the original cast to link them together. Overall, I did like it and I would go again....and it didn't feel like I was watching a Star Wars/Trek mashup for which I'm grateful.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by subie09lega; 12-20-2015, 08:03 AM. Reason: Add text

Comment

Ha! I thought of Snape, too! The mask made me think of Dark Helmet from Spaceballs. I wanted it to flip up. (There times when I was laughing at the wrong parts of the movie, I admit it.)
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Ha! I thought of Snape, too! The mask made me think of Dark Helmet from Spaceballs. I wanted it to flip up. (There times when I was laughing at the wrong parts of the movie, I admit it.)
        So true! I CAN'T BREATHE IN THIS THING!!!

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
          I just got back from watching it and I agree with your thoughts about it, however I did like how they tied in the original cast to link them together. Overall, I did like it and I would go again....and it didn't feel like I was watching a Star Wars/Trek mashup for which I'm grateful.

Spoiler!
          Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
            I think that is the point though,
            Yeah,
            Spoiler!
            Last edited by subie09lega; 12-21-2015, 02:26 PM. Reason: add spoiler

Comment

Tons of spoiler talk thins weekend. Which is great. I've seen the movie twice now.

Spoiler!

On a side note I for once can't wait for the novelization, as they've said that for once they movie novelizations are cannon, and I'm really interested to see what more they add to the story.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Spoiler!

Comment

The Force Awakens spoilers

Spoiler!

Comment

Well, apparently I need to go back and watch it again so I can glean more from it than I did the first time.

Comment

Once was enough for me. There's too many others out there I want to see.

Spoiler!
                      Last edited by srboone; 12-22-2015, 04:22 AM.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Spoiler!

Comment

Spoiler!
                          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

RiffTrax Live!: Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny: The last live event of RT's 2015 "The Crappening" schedule. A truly horrid movie about Santa Claus stranded on a beach in Florida being helped by a group of kids from a nearby amusement park. Three short films prelude the main attraction, each more awful than the last. But the riffing was screamingly funny (making me less fearful of the Ice Cream Bunny's eventual entrance bouncing on the side of a fire truck--it's something that's once seen can't be unseen, no matter how much you want to) and the evening was a well-spent two hours. Definitely worth the pricey ticket.

Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny: 0/5

RiffTrax Live!: Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny: 5/5

As always, I learned a few things while there:

1) Refusing to debate the merits of Die Hard with someone who thinks is the best movie ever made will cause their face to melt like Toht in Raiders of the Lost Ark. (That's useful information!)

2) People kiss under mistletoe because Miss L. Toe likes to watch. (heh..heh, heh...heh...)

3) Bananas bought at Black Friday sales make bad stocking stuffers. (Now they tell me!)

--BUT--

If you watch all 24 hours of "24 Hours of A Christmas Story" on TBS, you will NOT see a version of the movie in which Ralphie say's the F-word. I know this from experience having watched the whole cycle before. Twice.
                            I loved this Rifftrax! My favorite one so far and also the most fun I had at a movie all this year.

Comment

Every year since 1983, I've treated myself to a birthday movie. In 1983, it was Never Say Never Again--Sean Connery's attempt at a James Bond comeback (I'd never seen an SC JB movie--my first JB movie was Octopussy earlier that year). This year it was

Krampus: I liked this one. It had a gleefully dark sense of humor
                              Spoiler!
                              and some genuinely suspenseful moments to counter the Christmas horror clichés and the "Don't go outside! Are you stupid?" moments. Along with the "you exceeded your ammo count long ago" feeling. The song "The Krampus Carol of the Bells" played over the end credits was also a delight. But what made it all worthwhile was the father who had taken his two daughters (the oldest couldn't have been more than 13) to the movie who told him after the credits that they weren't going to forgive him for dragging them to the movie--he ruined Christmas for them. He seemed pretty flustered, so (of course) I spoke up: "Oh you will; it may just take a while. And in 30 years, you'll enjoy taking your kids to a Christmas horror movie because you have fond memories of Krampus, just like your father has fond memories of Gremlins." The father whispered "Thank you" to me as they left the theater.

3.5/5
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Hateful 8: Tarantino's second Western, this film isn't as provocative or violent as Django Unchained, but it is vastly superior in terms of Tarantino's growth as a director. In the post-civil war era, a bounty hunter transporting a female prisoner to Red Rock, WY where she will be hanged for her crimes meets up with an ex-slave bounty hunter and the new sheriff of Red Rock along the way. They are forced to take shelter from a blizzard in Monnie's Haberdashery, where four other stangers are currently quartered and the owner is mysteriously absent. Pay close attention to the title of this movie. This movie is grim and nihilistic. None of these characters are particularly likeable; they all are ruled by hate of some sort and there is no real moral compass present in the movie (and given the type and amount of vulgarity in the movie, this will be a big problem for a lot of people). There will be vile things said and done, without remorse of any sort. If you've ever wondered what a movie written and co-directed by of Sam Peckinpah, John Ford, John Carpenter and....Agatha Christie might look like, it would probably be this film. The cinematography is stunning, the orginal score by Ennio Moiccone is simply perfect and Tarantino's new movie is a near-perfect example of movie-making as a technical craft: muscular, confident, and bloody (literally) exhilerating. The story itself is slow to start (when has Tarantino ever been in a hurry), but is peppered with the delicious dialogue and uniformly outstanding performances that distinguish a Tarantino film. When the action moves inside, the mystery deepens until it explodes into it's stunning and brilliant finale (or "Last Chapter"). Some people will find the 3-hour run-time trying (especially for a movie that is 90% dialog and 10% action), but I was awestruck the whole way. Discussions over why each character is as hateful as he/she is are sure to be had, and the answers will probably each highlight a particular societal ill. If that's the case and the eight represent a "melting pot" and the Haberdashery represents a "country"... No answers are given, but if no solutions are sought, the outcome could be...frightening to say the least.

Any one of the perfomances could be nominated for an Oscar. But Jennifer Jason Leigh as the sociopatic prisoner Daisy Domergue is simply great. One of the best films of 2015.

5/5
                                Last edited by srboone; 12-31-2015, 10:07 AM.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X