Page 11 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Maybe JJ Abrams spent some time going back to film school to learn how to make a good movie. ST was one of the most annoying films I've ever seen. Every 30 seconds, there's light flares as the camera swoops around or pans the set. And I can tell you, that much reflective material on the bridge of a starship would not be allowed. An approaching enemy would just have to shine a light into the bridge and render the entire crew helpless for the short time it would take to fire a photon up the the Enterprise's ass.

It's not fun watching a movie and wishing you had a different angle on just about every shot.

Though I never knew Dr. Mcoy joined the Federation to escape his multiple ex-wives! That was cool!
    Last edited by srboone; 09-17-2011 at 04:09 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    Thor 4.5/5 plus Natalie Portman which adds points.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmosis7 View Post
    Thor 4.5/5 plus Natalie Portman which adds points.
    Good call, Ken.

Thor was one of three big budget films this summer I found really entertaining. Thor, Captain America, and Fast Five (it took 'em five tries, but they finally made a good movie!)
    "I'm a vegan. "

X-men 1st Class 4.5/5. Some stuff bothered me because it was so hokey, but the fact that there is now yet another bacon movie to link him to so many stars earns some points. The 2 big characters (if you know what I mean) were splendidly portrayed. I'd love to give this a 5, but some of the costumes and such bothered me a lot. Still a great movie.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    X-men 1st Class 4.5/5. Some stuff bothered me because it was so hokey, but the fact that there is now yet another bacon movie to link him to so many stars earns some points. The 2 big characters (if you know what I mean) were splendidly portrayed. I'd love to give this a 5, but some of the costumes and such bothered me a lot. Still a great movie.
    I really liked this movie as well. My biggest problem with it, where the plot inconsistancies with last X-Men movie.

Spoiler!

I can let the last inconsistency go, but the first one was kinda big and could have been avoided.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

I agree, Dan. Still a great movie, though, overall. I won't even talk about Wolverine Origins. I didn't like that one much at all.

I agree, Dan. Still a great movie, though, overall. I won't even talk about Wolverine Origins. I didn't like that one much at all.
    I actually kinda did like that one, my biggest beef with it was more of a reality kinda thing. If you could live forever like Logan, wouldn't you be a rich SOB, and not a soldier in every single war.

Twitter - Twitch.tv

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Maybe JJ Abrams spent some time going back to film school to learn how to make a good movie. ST was one of the most annoying films I've ever seen. Every 30 seconds, there's light flares as the camera swoops around or pans the set.
    Guess you weren't too fond of Super 8 either?

sk

I liked it better than ST, but still ambivialent toward it. The best thing about the movie was the kid called Chompers. Really liked him!

But the only real problem I had with ST was the director; I just don't think he know how to make a watchable movie. And the kid playing spock was kinda blah--and binging back Nimoy as spock prime was mistake--these kids have to stand on their own.
    Last edited by srboone; 09-17-2011 at 05:05 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I actually kinda did like that one, my biggest beef with it was more of a reality kinda thing. If you could live forever like Logan, wouldn't you be a rich SOB, and not a soldier in every single war.
    Maybe that was what bothered me about it. A large chunk was just scenes, which were cool, but had not story really. They could have been images alone, and I think some were. Like I said, cool, but adding nothing. The story wasn't horrid, but there were some inconsistencies as you stated. But I guess my biggest issue was I got overly bored with it a lot. Not sure why, but I own the movie and never pop it in. Although now I am wanting to watch it just to find out what the major thing is I don't like. Maybe it was just too predictably tidy or something. I'll have to figure it out.

Good call, Ken.

Thor was one of three big budget films this summer I found really entertaining. Thor, Captain America, and Fast Five (it took 'em five tries, but they finally made a good movie!)
    I agree, Cap was great for me, too. What's Fast Five? I haven't heard of that one.

I loved the new Star Trek. Can watch it all day. 5/5 for me on that one.

I agree, Cap was great for me, too. What's Fast Five? I haven't heard of that one.
    The Fast and the Furious 5 is what they started calling it because it was confusing to people. But the onscreen title is "Fast Five."

And I think we've agreed to disagree on movies before, Ken. So we'll do so on Star Trek and let that one go.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Agreed. Hey, if we all liked the same stuff more than 3/4 of those who wrote would be out of a job. Differences is what makes the world tick.

Speaking of ST, the guy who played Spock was in the TV show Heroes, which never finished, but there was talk there eight be a movie. Anyone who was into that know anything?

Agreed. Hey, if we all liked the same stuff more than 3/4 of those who wrote would be out of a job. Differences is what makes the world tick.

Speaking of ST, the guy who played Spock was in the TV show Heroes, which never finished, but there was talk there eight be a movie. Anyone who was into that know anything?
    I thought it did end, just ended on a kind of cliff hanger thing, with the girl showing the world her powers. Hero's was one of the few tv shows I really liked.

I also remembered the other main thing I didn't like about The Wolverine movie. I didn't like how they portrayed Dead Pool. Dead Pool wasn't supposed to be a remote controlled pile of mutant powers. He was a basically indestructible mutant that talked an awful lot. He could baisically have an arm cut off and he could pick it back up and put it back on.

I haven't seen Fast Five yet, but I actually liked Fast and Furious (the 4th movie). Much better than the other ones.

As to the Star Trek debate, I actually really liked Star Trek. JJ Abrams I could really care less about, I felt the movie was a good reinterpretation of the original ST for a new generation.

Twitter - Twitch.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I thought it did end, just ended on a kind of cliff hanger thing, with the girl showing the world her powers.
    True, that's how it ended, but at the very end there was a short preview of season 5, entitled Brave New World, plus the announcement: to be continued, but sadly it was not.

sk

But the only real problem I had with ST was the director; I just don't think he know how to make a watchable movie. And the kid playing spock was kinda blah--and binging back Nimoy as spock prime was mistake--these kids have to stand on their own.
    Oh, I thought the cast did a terriffic job and easily stood on its own. Nimoy was just icing on the cake.
    From what I've seen, I think Abram's doing just fine as a director: loved ST, as well as Mission Impossible III. Also like Super 8 quite a bit.

sk

Oh, and I just watched A Horrible Way to Die. Aintitcool had a pretty good review so I ordered it. Wish I hadn't. I thought the movie was rather boring except for the final fifteen or so minutes. The twist I didn't see coming, but that's no surprise as I hardly ever do...

**/*****

Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Oh, and I just watched A Horrible Way to Die. Aintitcool had a pretty good review so I ordered it. Wish I hadn't. I thought the movie was rather boring except for the final fifteen or so minutes. The twist I didn't see coming, but that's no surprise as I hardly ever do...

**/*****
    I was on the ropes about that one, but I'll avoid it. Thanks, Siep!
    "I'm a vegan. "

My pleasure...

sk

I remembered this as a mediocre John Woo movie -and maybe it is compared to his early,non-Hollywood stuff- but I rather enjoyed the BD edition I just saw. Practically non-stop spectacular action, a great over-the-top Travolta bad guy; just a perfect movie to spend a Sunday afternoon with.

****/*****

sk
    Last edited by frik51; 09-18-2011 at 03:56 PM.