Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    Time to put this franchise out to acapasture.
    Oh god. Groan.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
      Oh god. Groan.
      Hey, they can't all be winners.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Finally got around to seeing MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT yesterday. Damn, what a film! I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise, but I have to give the crazy fucker props for all of the insane stunts that he does.
        And I watched THE INVITATION on Netflix last night....Solid and well-made, but I saw the ending coming a mile away, so that was kind of disappointing. I'd heard so much hype about the twist, and the last scene.....oh, well. I've seen and read too much, so I hardly ever get surprised anymore. I can call twist endings almost from the opening scene.
        I really like THE INVITATION. I don't think there was much of a twist to the plot as it pretty much plays out as expected. The last scene is good, but I didn't hit me as hard as other people. I do think that it is a deeply affecting movie about loss and grief, regrets and forgiveness. I like to pair this thematically with A DARK SONG. Not in the same genre--unless you consider "Independent Horror" a genre--but so good.

Comment

My wife and I saw CRAZY RICH ASIANS over the weekend, and I liked it a lot...a solid 8 out of ten.

On the other hand, we watched PITCH PERFECT 3 the other night....I thought the first two were a lot of fun, but 3 was a dopey sack of shit. Time to put this franchise out to acapasture.
          I stopped after the first PITCH PERFECT. I didn't want to see it to begin with, but my wife did and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

I've gotta check out CRAZY RICH ASIANS. I kinda miss romantic comedies. I also kinda miss when the mid-budget films that we used to get all the time. Now it's indie movies or big huge CGI blockbusters. There's nothing wrong with either, but there can be a middle ground, I think.

Comment

I recently re-watched Conspiracy which is available on Prime Video. Prior to this I went to see Operation Finale while visiting friends. These two are related in one of the main characters in each, Adolf Eichmann. Both are worth watching if you like biopics about war crimes.

Also watched Logan Lucky which turned out to be a lot better than I expected based on the advertising.

Finally, re-watched Blade Runner: 2049 and found that, like the original, I enjoyed it much more the second time. I still like the the first one better but 2049 holds its own well.

Comment

Another one I recently watched was Spotlight which is also recommended viewing.

Comment

Regarding Crazy Rich Asians...I probably will wait for it on video, but I am beginning to become interested in this one. Romantic comedies can be hit/miss for me. And not many are as good as my personal favorite, 500 Days of Summer; that was a really clever screenplay.

Regarding Cruise's Mummy...I saw that on HBO a while back and although I can't remember all the details right now, I thought it wasn't as bad as the general consensus seems to think (although it is not the greatest film, either).

I recently watched The House That Dripped Blood on Tubi. Really enjoyed it. I love anthologies, and Amicus/Hammer ones are great! Did not realize they were apparently based on Robert Bloch tales; I think he was involved in the script as well? I've always thought of Bloch as someone who wrote Psycho and not much else, but after searching for info on him after watching the film, I was surprised to see that he was quite prolific in his lifetime.

I also watched on Tubi Dracula vs. Frankenstein. Seen it before, but that one is always a lot of fun. Especially around this time of year.

Has anyone seen the anthology Holidays? Not sure whether to give that a chance or not. Well, I suppose I probably will either way, but I guess I mean to ask what is the probability of enjoying it. I will also mention that I am currently watching the Star Wars Solo film from the summer; I sometimes watch movies in a few sittings (some people deplore that viewing technique, but it seems to work for me given my schedule). So far I think it's entertaining, but I can understand why it didn't have a large gross at the box office. And I find the choice of not using a traditional Star Wars scroll, with the theme, before the film an odd one...

Comment

I think they're only using the scroll in the beginning for the numbered "Episode" films. ROGUE ONE didn't have the scroll, either. We saw SOLO opening weekend, and we all enjoyed it. Underrated film that suffered because of the LAST JEDI backlash.

I saw THE PREDATOR this afternoon, and I thought it was a fun film. Did anyone else here see it? If so, I have a question that needs answering, so....help!!!

Comment

Watched Hold The Dark last night. Really dug it. Shoot out scene was insane. Another winner from Saulnier though my heart belongs to, of the four, Blue Ruin secong favorite low-life, low budget crime film after Blood Simple.

Before that I watched another low budget crime winner called Good Time

Comment

I wanted to watch that last night, but I'm so fucking tired all the time that I saw the two-hour run time and said "Fuck, I'll fall asleep!"

So I watched 1922, and....FELL ASLEEP. Now I have to watch the whole fucking film again.

We took the boy to the Imax to see THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN THE WALLS today, and we all had a good time. A good starter film for budding horror fans.

Comment

Originally posted by mtyree View Post
                        Watched Hold The Dark last night. Really dug it. Shoot out scene was insane. Another winner from Saulnier though my heart belongs to, of the four, Blue Ruin secong favorite low-life, low budget crime film after Blood Simple.

Before that I watched another low budget crime winner called Good Time
                        We seem to be on the same page about these modern indie crime thrillers! I thought that GOOD TIME was a great little surprise. BLOOD SIMPLE is also a fantastic piece of cinema.

Comment

but I'm so fucking tired all the time that I saw the two-hour run time and said "Fuck, I'll fall asleep!"

Fed Ex'd my D-Boy some Adderall, keep an eye out for the truck, buddy--- I haven't even yawned since 1999 !

Socky ! You have remarkable taste !

Comment

Oh, BTW...

Reguarding HOLD THE DARK, all I knew heading into Saulnier's gorgeously filmed Alaska was from a proper teaser of a trailer: Man hunts down wolf resposible for killing three toddlers.
                            That was it. Now maybe I could relate to the characters' bizarre, psychotic more then most having been a spoiled candy-ass beach bum surfer kid from Goleta clean down to Dana Point then
                            suddenly plunged into N/W PA ( 'bout and hour s/e of Erie ) for a killer job with Ferrellgas, Class A, tanker, hazmat, air brakes and after a 2-week cram, roughly 300.00 invested than a piss test I was a propane "expert" and worked outdoors 75 % of the "day" in sub-zero weather-- I made friends, heard stories, of madness occuring due to extreme weather. Luckily, I ( and my '84 Chevy p/u ) took to the whiteouts, the -20 degree, eerie, nearly supernatural weather like a duck to the Allegheny.
                            Best job I never had cuz we all know, if you love what you do ? It's not a "job".

Just read the IMDB comments and, well, you may want to reconsider investing precious time by listening to THEM rather than a whackjob nutball such as yours truly.

Just a quick heads up---don't blame me !

Comment

Under The Shadow: Set during the Iran-Iraq war, a mother is left alone to take care of her daughter after her husband is drafted. Threats of missile attacks loom and the sound of distant explosions punctuate the day. After a missile strikes their building but fails to explode, mysterious events begin to take place, straining the relationship between the mother and daughter and pushing them to the edge.

With an interesting premise set in a time and place that is not normally explored in horror cinema, this wound up being a pretty nice surprise. The first hour plays like a drama with the horror elements slowly creeping in around the edges. And the scares are solid. The movie ratchets up the tension and executes the stingers when the viewer is slightly disarmed, leading to some great jolts. Unfortunately, despite the solid direction and good performances of the cast, the themes of the movie don't quite gel together, leading to an ending that is less satisfying than it could have been. Grade: C+

Comment

We watched BLACK PANTHER again last night, and it was just as good the second time around: A nine out of ten.
                                Then I watched a documentary on Amazon, THE RESURRECTION OF JAKE THE SNAKE, about former WWE wrestler Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Amazing. Another nine out of ten.

Comment

Working...
                                X