No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed both the book and the movie. My wife (who had not read it) also enjoyed the movie.

Comment

3.5 out of 5 chaw spits.

This was a nice slice of drama with the movie being very straight forward. This one may be a little slow for some, however for me, the pacing was great. They rolled out a fairly simple story-line with Clint and cast delivering believable characters. I enjoyed it, my wife enjoyed it, and the theater seemed to enjoy it.

On a side note we sat right in front of an elderly couple that insisted on talking at multiple points during the movie. Me and my wife have in the past told younger people to stop talking (put your feet down and etc.) but both of us felt uncomfortable in this situation. Has anyone else ever dealt with a talkative elderly couple in the theater before?

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Has anyone watched The Mule yet? I love Eastwood, and just about everything he is involved in, so I'm guessing I will like this one. I did see this wasn't getting the greatest reviews so I am curious what others have thought about it.

Please use the tobacco spitting rating score on this one.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Solo: A Star Wars Story

I was reluctant to watch this as I haven't really "dug" the new generation of Star Wars films. Since it was on Netflix, it was a lazy Sunday afternoon, and the family was all home I agreed to give this one a go.

And I'm glad I did. This movie had a good story, good acting, was gritty enough for my taste, and just a little humor for the family. I am very happy to catch a glimpse of that old Star Wars magic. I think they nailed this movie.

4 out of 5 Stars.

Comment

Solo: A Star Wars Story

I was reluctant to watch this as I haven't really "dug" the new generation of Star Wars films. Since it was on Netflix, it was a lazy Sunday afternoon, and the family was all home I agreed to give this one a go.

And I'm glad I did. This movie had a good story, good acting, was gritty enough for my taste, and just a little humor for the family. I am very happy to catch a glimpse of that old Star Wars magic. I think they nailed this movie.

4 out of 5 Stars.
          Yea I honestly think it was a lot better than the critics gave it credit for. Disney didn't do it any justice either though. It was poorly marketed and released at a time that it wasn't gonna do well at the box office.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I scored a good deal from my local used store for the "Masters of Horror" series on Blu-ray and am working my way through it. So far, I've enjoyed almost all of the tales in it except for William Malone's ""Fair-Haired Child"

Comment

Never heard of this before. Do you know where these originally aired?

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
              I scored a good deal from my local used store for the "Masters of Horror" series on Blu-ray and am working my way through it. So far, I've enjoyed almost all of the tales in it except for William Malone's ""Fair-Haired Child"

Comment

I believe it originally aired on Showtime and ran a couple of seasons. No chance to check right now but it is probably listed on IMDB.

Comment

This was an Showtime show that ran for two seasons. Mick Garris created it and every episode had a "Master of Horror" directing it. It's a pretty impressive line-up. I have both seasons save for one episode (the first season had the episodes released individually rather than a box set). I remember working my way through them and thought that most of them were okay with a few clunkers in the mix. Imprint was one that I thought was particularly twisted. It's funny that this has come up as I was just thinking about doing a re-watch.

Comment

Bird Box: I have very mixed feelings as I loved the concept and think that the acting was fantastic, but there was something about the pacing in key moments that just felt off. Whenever the movie ramped up to a bit that should have had some resonance, it just felt rushed, like a beat or two was missing, making it feel glossed over. For a movie that ran over two hours long, I wouldn't think that would be the case. I haven't read the book yet as I'm still waiting for my lettered edition to come in, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Grade: C+

Mandy: Holy cheese biscuits. I don't know exactly what this movie is, but it was a whole bunch of trippy, violent Nicholas Cage insanity. Lumberjack Cage versus violent hippy cult that's teamed up with demonic bikers shot with cinematography that makes every frame feel like it's from old metal vinyl record art. While sometimes the movie knocked me back in my seat, other times if felt tiring. Lumberjack Cage in a chainsaw battle is pretty freaking cool, though.

People who love this movie really LOVE this movie. I can't say that I'm on board with that group, but I can see WHY they love it even it didn't quite hit the mark for me. Even if you wind up hating it, it's worth a look. Grade: C

I also rewatched Get Out (solid thriller, but never scary; Grade: A), Audition (still a solid creepfest, even if it didn't hold the same punch as it did the first time; Grade: B+) and Django Unchained (which I think just might be Tarantino's best movie; Grade: A)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. That really explains why I never ran into this. I rarely over the last 20 years have subscribed to premium channels. I typically take the free view or "free" trial and promptly cancel it before I have to pay.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      I believe it originally aired on Showtime and ran a couple of seasons. No chance to check right now but it is probably listed on IMDB.
                      Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      This was an Showtime show that ran for two seasons. Mick Garris created it and every episode had a "Master of Horror" directing it. It's a pretty impressive line-up. I have both seasons save for one episode (the first season had the episodes released individually rather than a box set). I remember working my way through them and thought that most of them were okay with a few clunkers in the mix. Imprint was one that I thought was particularly twisted. It's funny that this has come up as I was just thinking about doing a re-watch.

Comment

It's not a movie, but I just finished Netflix's Haunting of Hill House.

LOVED it! Absolutely and without exception. I thought it was brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          Bird Box: I have very mixed feelings as I loved the concept and think that the acting was fantastic, but there was something about the pacing in key moments that just felt off. Whenever the movie ramped up to a bit that should have had some resonance, it just felt rushed, like a beat or two was missing, making it feel glossed over. For a movie that ran over two hours long, I wouldn't think that would be the case. I haven't read the book yet as I'm still waiting for my lettered edition to come in, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Grade: C+
                          BIRD BOX was OK. I thought it was a good adaptation, but the book is always better in my opinion. I hated Sandra Bullock's expressionless face. It didn't move. Her upper lip, her eyebrows, nothing from the neck up conveyed any emotion. Actors need those subtleties to create connections. If her dead face is the result of plastic surgery, then it is a crime. And she's a victim of Hollywood pressures.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I need to watch this.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Me too, Jeff! I thought it was great!

Comment

A Film Plus A Couple Other Views I Liked

Hi Gang. I love obscure boxing films, bare knuckles the better like, say, THE TRAVELERS, add a prison setting and I have my favorite boxing film : Korea's
                                CRYING FIST. Most realistic fight ever plus a gripping, tearjerker and you cared about the characters. A must see. Now, cant count the father/son fight in
                                my favorite prison film, STARRED UP but we all know it has to be mentioned...am I right ? Fookin' insane.

Just finished A PRAYER BEFORE DAWN -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080956/

-And it is something truly special. Unlike anything you will ever see. Grade A Check it out.

Now, fiddled around trying to find something decent and God bless Netflix for picking up Brooker's BLACK MIRROR. I happen to be one who dig's Charlie B's work.
                                ( His HOW TV RUINED YOUR LIFE should be shown in every classroom) I like his show and you simply cannot help but crack up with Philomena Kunk's goofy, hysterical
                                spots.
                                I binged and granted not all episodes were great, some were, but they all sure as hell beat the usual crappy crap crap.

Now, this show is probably a tad polarizing to those who have seen it but I was astonished at how creepy, surreal, scary Channel Zero's CANDLE COVE
                                ( The...er...ornaments in the tree sent chills up my arms...) was to me. I loved it. That kid's show was just fuuuuuuuuuuu-king wroooong... Children eating teeth
                                out of a creature's hand, a mess with your head dude made of...well, no spoilers. I really dug it. B+

Now, you can skip the appearing haunted house episode. It DID have it's moments but save your dwindling earthly time for the series, I think...3? Called
                                BUTCHER"S BLOCK. Mental illness is a serious, delicate subject and I know, from experience, if one person is suffering from it, the ripple effect spreads far and
                                wide to those who are near it, usually a loved one which can be a punch the the heart and can tear up their shit in a big way

But these two sisters, terrific actors, scared to death they may also be genetically designed/destined for schizophrenia as their stab-happy mother was. Then to move, both sisters planted in the freak show that is BUTCHER'S BLOCK...? Not too healthy... and the Peach family led by the AWESOME Rutger Hauer who tends to appear a white staircase in a park, so he and his creepy as hell family of midget children can snatch poor people to eat as he's made a pack with a demon. Now this may sound all silly n shit but for me it was not. Story was was fun, gory, out of this
                                world roller coaster of a blood soaked, LSD-like thrill ride, but I could not believe how well, in the midst of all the insanity that BUTCHER'S BLOCK is packed
                                with, I felt it was thee best, careful, most respectful treatment of the serious, ignored poor souls suffering from mental illness I have seen in a long time and is just shows,good fun horror, if done right as this episode was, can be the perfect genre to something right.
                                Kudos to the writers. Grade A

OK, next C. Zero episode could have been shorter I felt but man, it was fun. Pretzel Jack has to be seen to be believed as well as Tall Boy. It is worth
                                a look-see just for those two and keep the sawzalls away from Tall Boy ! Grade B

That is about it. Oh I DID see VELVET BUZZSAW.

Layta !

Comment

Working...
                                X