Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Good call, Ken.

Thor was one of three big budget films this summer I found really entertaining. Thor, Captain America, and Fast Five (it took 'em five tries, but they finally made a good movie!)
    I agree, Cap was great for me, too. What's Fast Five? I haven't heard of that one.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I loved the new Star Trek. Can watch it all day. 5/5 for me on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
        I agree, Cap was great for me, too. What's Fast Five? I haven't heard of that one.
        The Fast and the Furious 5 is what they started calling it because it was confusing to people. But the onscreen title is "Fast Five."

And I think we've agreed to disagree on movies before, Ken. So we'll do so on Star Trek and let that one go.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Agreed. Hey, if we all liked the same stuff more than 3/4 of those who wrote would be out of a job. Differences is what makes the world tick.

Speaking of ST, the guy who played Spock was in the TV show Heroes, which never finished, but there was talk there eight be a movie. Anyone who was into that know anything?

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
            Agreed. Hey, if we all liked the same stuff more than 3/4 of those who wrote would be out of a job. Differences is what makes the world tick.

Speaking of ST, the guy who played Spock was in the TV show Heroes, which never finished, but there was talk there eight be a movie. Anyone who was into that know anything?
            I thought it did end, just ended on a kind of cliff hanger thing, with the girl showing the world her powers. Hero's was one of the few tv shows I really liked.

I also remembered the other main thing I didn't like about The Wolverine movie. I didn't like how they portrayed Dead Pool. Dead Pool wasn't supposed to be a remote controlled pile of mutant powers. He was a basically indestructible mutant that talked an awful lot. He could baisically have an arm cut off and he could pick it back up and put it back on.

I haven't seen Fast Five yet, but I actually liked Fast and Furious (the 4th movie). Much better than the other ones.

As to the Star Trek debate, I actually really liked Star Trek. JJ Abrams I could really care less about, I felt the movie was a good reinterpretation of the original ST for a new generation.
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              I thought it did end, just ended on a kind of cliff hanger thing, with the girl showing the world her powers.
              True, that's how it ended, but at the very end there was a short preview of season 5, entitled Brave New World, plus the announcement: to be continued, but sadly it was not.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                But the only real problem I had with ST was the director; I just don't think he know how to make a watchable movie. And the kid playing spock was kinda blah--and binging back Nimoy as spock prime was mistake--these kids have to stand on their own.
                Oh, I thought the cast did a terriffic job and easily stood on its own. Nimoy was just icing on the cake.
                From what I've seen, I think Abram's doing just fine as a director: loved ST, as well as Mission Impossible III. Also like Super 8 quite a bit.

sk

Oh, and I just watched A Horrible Way to Die. Aintitcool had a pretty good review so I ordered it. Wish I hadn't. I thought the movie was rather boring except for the final fifteen or so minutes. The twist I didn't see coming, but that's no surprise as I hardly ever do...

**/*****

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                  Oh, and I just watched A Horrible Way to Die. Aintitcool had a pretty good review so I ordered it. Wish I hadn't. I thought the movie was rather boring except for the final fifteen or so minutes. The twist I didn't see coming, but that's no surprise as I hardly ever do...

**/*****
                  I was on the ropes about that one, but I'll avoid it. Thanks, Siep!
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

My pleasure...

sk

Comment

I remembered this as a mediocre John Woo movie -and maybe it is compared to his early,non-Hollywood stuff- but I rather enjoyed the BD edition I just saw. Practically non-stop spectacular action, a great over-the-top Travolta bad guy; just a perfect movie to spend a Sunday afternoon with.

****/*****

sk
                      Last edited by frik51; 09-18-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Broken arrow actually wasn't a bad movie, but every time I look at it I can't help but think of Face Off, and then I throw up a little in my mouth.

Comment

Face Off is my favorite Woo (Hollywood) film by far: one of the most spectacular action movies ever, featuring great performances by Cage and Travolta, and brilliant directing by Woo.
                          Not many can top this one.

sk

Comment

To each their own. I couldn't get into that one. i'm not a huge Cage fan anyway. If it wasn't for Buscemi's scene I wouldn't have finished watching Conair. Wait, don't they make hair products?

Comment

I'm very glad I decided to buy the complete quadrilogy on BD, and not just the first two movies, otherwise I would have missed out on one terriffic movie. I did see the original release, way back in the early 90s, but don't remember more than all the negativity surrounding this release: no one liked it. I can't even remember if I did or not, but I'm glad to say the edition I just watched - the special edition, not the theatrical cut.
                              Of course I much prefer Alien and Aliens, but Fincher did a pretty good job: Alien 3 is a dark, intense nightmare, from which there's no escape - not even for Ripley. I just wish he (Fincher) would have pulled a George Lucas and had done something about the running alien. That looked bad. Otherwise, an underrated, solid piece of Alien entertainment.

****/*****

sk

Comment

The Scarecow of Romney Marsh. Filmed in 1963 (I saw it in 1972) and aiired in 3 parts for "Disney's Wonderful World of Color" with each part intoduced by Walt himself, this is as dark as Disney got in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Patrick McGoohan is Christopher Syn, a country vicar who smuggles goods to the impoverished colonists suffering under King George III's rule. My favorite movie growing up. The theatrical version Dr. Syn, alias the Scarecrow is pretty good, but still is a truncated version of the original 3-part series. Released in 2008 as part of The Disney Treasures Collection in a tin case.

The whole thing still hold up really well after all these years, and the theme song is still one of my favorites. I can remember sitting through a whole week of 2nd grade nonsense with the song running through my head, dying to get to next episode! I know how Ralphie felt about his Red Ryder BB gun!!

As a kid, I would have given it 11/5!

Today, I'll settle for a 4.5/5

850881b0c8a053fde67bd110_L.jpg
                                Last edited by srboone; 09-20-2011, 04:25 AM.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X