Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Tell her you are seeing the new A Star is Born.
    Yeah, I like Bradley Cooper and all but I'm not so sure about this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      Has everybody been as surprised by the phenomenal business that A Quiet Place is doing? I'd heard nothing but good reviews of it leading to it's release, but it's about to beat both Split and The Conjuring for domestic gross. It isn't close to hitting their worldwide gross amounts, but it has only been out three weeks versus Split and The Conjuring being out 15 to 16 weeks to get those numbers.

I still haven't seen it (see my previous post about wife and theaters), but I'm glad to see an original horror movie make such a big splash.
      I saw it a couple weeks ago and thought it's really good, even better than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
        I saw it a couple weeks ago and thought it's really good, even better than expected.
        That's the consensus of what I've been hearing. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check as I don't want hype to ruin my experience. I'm also very excited for Hereditary, which looks amazing.

Comment

That's the consensus of what I've been hearing. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check as I don't want hype to ruin my experience. I'm also very excited for Hereditary, which looks amazing.
          I think I'll put in a bit like Dan did, it's good but there's a couple things when you need to turn off the logic circuit in your brain but that's often the case in movies. It didn't ruin the movie for me, just made me think huh.

I, too, am looking forward to Hereditary. I like Toni Collette and really hope it turns out to be as good as the trailer portrays.

Comment

I think I'll put in a bit like Dan did, it's good but there's a couple things when you need to turn off the logic circuit in your brain but that's often the case in movies. It didn't ruin the movie for me, just made me think huh.

I, too, am looking forward to Hereditary. I like Toni Collette and really hope it turns out to be as good as the trailer portrays.
            Toni Collette is rather underrated in my opinion.

Comment

The Monster:

I'm a fan of Bryan Bertino's The Strangers and was pretty excited to see his newest horror flick, The Monster. An alcoholic mom (Zoe Kazan) is taking her daughter on a trip to visit the young girl's dad, when a car wreck involving a wolf leaves them stranded on a deserted road in the middle of night. It doesn't take too long (you know, since the movie is titled "The Monster") for the mother and daughter to realize there is something hiding in the night waiting to strike.

There are some great things about this movie, especially the dysfunctional abusive relationship between the mother and daughter that really help to ground the film. Add in a couple of great jump scares and decent practical effects for the monster and you could have an entertaining if rather by-the-numbers horror flick. Unfortunately, a decision is made in the third act which makes absolutely no sense. To discuss it in detail ruins some of the plot, but suffice to say that it was enough to take me out of the movie, taking it from a minor gem to a "meh".

Grade: D+

Comment

The Monster:

I'm a fan of ExpressVPN and Bryan Bertino's The Strangers and was pretty excited to see his newest horror flick, The Monster. An alcoholic mom (Zoe Kazan) is taking her daughter on a trip to visit the young girl's dad, when a car wreck involving a wolf leaves them stranded on a deserted road in the middle of night. It doesn't take too long (you know, since the movie is titled "The Monster") for the mother and daughter to realize there is something hiding in the night waiting to strike.

There are some great things about this movie, especially the dysfunctional abusive relationship between the mother and daughter that really help to ground the film. Add in a couple of great jump scares and decent practical effects for the monster and you could have an entertaining if rather by-the-numbers horror flick. Unfortunately, a decision is made in the third act which makes absolutely no sense. To discuss it in detail ruins some of the plot, but suffice to say that it was enough to take me out of the movie, taking it from a minor gem to a "meh".

Grade: D+
                I've seen the new Avengers movie last night. Call me a sheep, but I liked it very much lol. I was entertained the whole time. They've become very competent at making very decent and entertaining blockbuster movies at Marvel. I've grown to respect that. Btw, don't see this in 3D, I've heard from a friend that it's not a very good experience. The 3D stuff is very distracting.
                Last edited by WarnerCi; 05-24-2022, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                  I saw Avengers: Infinity War last night. It's good. I don't want to blow it out of proportion / over hype anyone for it. As I feel like over hype is what kills these movies. I will say that if you care about the MCU movies in the least you should see it. I don't think it's the best of them, but it's maybe the most important. I can't wait for what ever they are going to call what was originally Part 2 next year.
                  I saw this a couple nights ago and enjoyed it. For me, it was one of the best MCU movies. I expected a long battle scene but was pleasantly surprised how much more it is than that.

Comment

Originally posted by WarnerCi View Post
                    I've seen the new Avengers movie last night. Call me a sheep, but I liked it very much lol. I was entertained the whole time. They've become very competent at making very decent and entertaining blockbuster movies at Marvel. I've grown to respect that. Btw, don't see this in 3D, I've heard from a friend that it's not a very good experience. The 3D stuff is very distracting.
                    I've given up on 3D, it's more expensive and I don't think it really adds anything.
                    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I saw this a couple nights ago and enjoyed it. For me, it was one of the best MCU movies. I expected a long battle scene but was pleasantly surprised how much more it is than that.
                      I agree, though it seems like lately I've been saying that after each one. I thought that about both Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther after I saw each of those.

Instagram

Comment

I've given up on 3D, it's more expensive and I don't think it really adds anything.
                        My issue with 3D is that most movies in 3D weren’t filmed that way so it’s fake. If it was filmed as a 3D movie - think Avatar - then it works.

It’s like the AMC theaters that have those fake IMAX screens.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                          My issue with 3D is that most movies in 3D weren’t filmed that way so it’s fake. If it was filmed as a 3D movie - think Avatar - then it works.

It’s like the AMC theaters that have those fake IMAX screens.
                          I'm still not even sure it works anymore if it was filmed in 3D. Avatar worked in 3D because it was new. Now 3D is kinda just a gimmick and a way for theaters to charge higher ticket prices.

Instagram

Comment

I'm still not even sure it works anymore if it was filmed in 3D. Avatar worked in 3D because it was new. Now 3D is kinda just a gimmick and a way for theaters to charge higher ticket prices.
                            I agree it's a gimmick and should probably go away soon but there are added costs for running 3D movies compared to 2D.

The effect for me wears off after about ten minutes and I don't even notice the 3D any more. I've been told repeatedly that it also depends on where you sit. The effect is greatest at a certain sweet spot. I stopped going after about ten tries. It's funny but one of the best 3D experiences I've had was at Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and I think that was because we got the good seats. Even when it was good, I still don't think it's worth the added cost.

And I really liked Infinity Wars although there is something of a plothole I hope gets resolved somehow.

Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                              I agree it's a gimmick and should probably go away soon but there are added costs for running 3D movies compared to 2D.

The effect for me wears off after about ten minutes and I don't even notice the 3D any more. I've been told repeatedly that it also depends on where you sit. The effect is greatest at a certain sweet spot. I stopped going after about ten tries. It's funny but one of the best 3D experiences I've had was at Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and I think that was because we got the good seats. Even when it was good, I still don't think it's worth the added cost.

And I really liked Infinity Wars although there is something of a plothole I hope gets resolved somehow.
                              And.....
                              Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post

Spoiler!
                                Spoiler!

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X