No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The World's End: Simon Pegg and his uber best buddy Nick Frost are in action again, in another society-hasn't-got-a-blinking-clue conspiracy theory movie. Gary (Pegg), a chronic alcoholic and drug abuser, has decided to get his band of high school mates back together to have another go at "The Golden Mile:" a pub crawl around Newton Haven that concludes at The World's End--not knowing that his hometown appears different for a reason. The film only reaches the deleriously-inspired heights of Shaun of the Dead at the end of the movie, when Pegg and Frost confront the evil Network, but the rest is an unexpectedly intimate look at aging dreams, both lost and found, and has some of the best-choreographed fight scenes this side of the Pacific Ocean. The middle section can get a bit repetitve: They drink, they fight, they drink some more; sometimes they dispense with drinking altogether and just fight; sometimes they drink while they're fighting, all the while splattered in blue goop and talking about how great their unhappy lives are. But director Edgar Wright is a master at comic chaos and he paces his film expertly--TWE is never boring. A grandly entertaining slapstick masterpiece that had me crying from prolonged laughter, TWE is one that should not be missed.

4.5/5
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

This Is The End: I didn't go into this movie thinking I was going to enjoy it too much as I can't stand Seth Rogen, but I did find this flick funny. I don't think that it was the "be-all-end-all" that a lot of people were telling me, but I did think that the movie had it's moments. Unfortunately there were times when the jokes didn't quite hit or went on for too long that the movie started to wear on me. If you're a fan of the actors and their particular brand of comedy, then you should find a lot to love. I can't say I fall into that group, but I did find the movie fun if brainless. Grade: C+

Comment

I saw the Conjuring recently. Really loved it. Harkens back to the great haunted house and posession tales, without relying on CGI to make me jump - and I jumped a lot. Also has two of the most beautiful women in hollywood (Lili taylor and Vera Farmiga - I crush on them both) and great acting. It really got my scare on in a good way. I was engrossed throughout.

4.5/5

Comment

About Time: Another film from the English screenwriter now turned director, Richard Curtis (Love Actually, Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral). Domhnall Gleeson plays Tim, an aspiring lawyer who learns – at the age of 21 – a family secret from his father (Bill Nighy). Put simply, the men in their family have the ability to travel back in time. They can’t rock up at any point in history, but they can return to various points in their own lives. All they need to do is disappear into a dark space – a wardrobe will do – and will themselves back. Tim uses this talent in his romantic pursuit of Mary (Rachel McAdams): repeatedly flashing back into his near-past whenever he botches it. Think of Groundhog Day but with characters that live in a fantasy-portrait of well-to-do Britain. Not as cheesey as it sounds, it is rather existential in places and certainly Richard Curtis's most thoughtful, mature and soulful film to-date. Bill Nighy, as always, is brilliant in this movie. 4/5

As so richly demonstrated by this forum only yesterday, this movie has successfully transcended the time-travel genre by 'breaking the fourth wall' and allowing the audience to actually time travel and re-live the last 2 days.

"I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
          - Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
            About Time: Another film from the English screenwriter now turned director, Richard Curtis (Love Actually, Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral). Domhnall Gleeson plays Tim, an aspiring lawyer who learns – at the age of 21 – a family secret from his father (Bill Nighy). Put simply, the men in their family have the ability to travel back in time. They can’t rock up at any point in history, but they can return to various points in their own lives. All they need to do is disappear into a dark space – a wardrobe will do – and will themselves back. Tim uses this talent in his romantic pursuit of Mary (Rachel McAdams): repeatedly flashing back into his near-past whenever he botches it. Think of Groundhog Day but with characters that live in a fantasy-portrait of well-to-do Britain. Not as cheesey as it sounds, it is rather existential in places and certainly Richard Curtis's most thoughtful, mature and soulful film to-date. Bill Nighy, as always, is brilliant in this movie. 4/5

As so richly demonstrated by this forum only yesterday, this movie has successfully transcended the time-travel genre by 'breaking the fourth wall' and allowing the audience to actually time travel and re-live the last 2 days.

Hilarious ending to your review! Bill Nighy is one of my favorites so I'll definitely have to check this one out!

Comment

I saw Captain Phillips yesterday. It was a great movie and I think the last 30 minutes or so was Tom Hanks at his best. 5/5

Comment

Gravity: A veteran spacewalker and scientist on her first space mission are caught in a debris storm that destroys their craft and kills their crew. With precious little oxygen and time, the two battle the emptiness of space in an attempt to make it back home. An epic disaster movie that is a worthy successor to 2001: A Space Odyssey, everything about Gravity works perfectly: director Cuaron's consise and tense screenplay, his stunning use of state-of-the-art 3D technology, a savage and nuanced performance by Sandra Bullock (anybody who thought her award for The Blind Side was a fluke better think again) make for one of the most exhilarating movie going experiences in years. Besides, any movie that features the Macarena in space should not be ignored!

This movie is what 3D was made for. It gives filmgoers a veiw of the reality of space never before seen on the big screen and leaves an indelible impression that will remain with you for a long time. It is the very definition of a "Big Screen Adventure" and those who miss it in theaters will be sorry when they see it on the small screen. It's that great.

5/5
                Last edited by srboone; 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I want to see this at the local Imax. I'll bet tickets are hard to get, as I have yet to see one single bad review.
                  Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

IMAX 3D is the way to go fot his one. That's the way I saw it. Definitely worth the extra cash. I saw it on a Thursday on its last showing in IMAX at my local AMC.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

My brother in law refuses to see Captain Philips after hearing that its all bullshit. I don't know which is true but I don't care either and it seems to be a "renter" either way.

Prisoners(7/10) I thought this was an excellent movie with some great acting. I give it a 7 simply for being too long. I can do 2.5-3 hours for something with alot more going on but for something like this, it should have been 1:45-2hr max.

Comment

Saw this on Friday on a 70' GXL screen in 3D with Dolby Atmos sound. While the images are stunning the actual story was blah to me. Glad I saw it, don't need to see it again.
                        Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        Gravity: A veteran spacewalker and scientist on her first space mission are caught in a debris storm that destroys their craft and kills their crew. With precious little oxygen and time, the two battle the emptiness of space in an attempt to make it back home. An epic disaster movie that is a worthy successor to 2001: A Space Odyssey, everything about Gravity works perfectly: director Cuaron's consise and tense screenplay, his stunning use of state-of-the-art 3D technology, a savage and nuanced performance by Sandra Bullock (anybody who thought her award for The Blind Side was a fluke better think again) make for one of the most exhilarating movie going experiences in years. Besides, any movie that features the Macarena in space should not be ignored!

This movie is what 3D was made for. It gives filmgoers a veiw of the reality of space never before seen on the big screen and leaves an indelible impression that will remain with you for a long time. It is the very definition of a "Big Screen Adventure" and those who miss it in theaters will be sorry when they see it on the small screen. It's that great.

5/5

Comment

Carrie: I left the theater wondering "Why does this movie exist?" A re-imagining of a story should have something new to say or a new insight about the work. This movie simply tries to replicate the suspense and horror of Brian De Palma's classic without offering anything new. So, looking at the film itself, it has a strong cast and some nice effects (and some questionable ones). Moretz seems oddly cast as Carrie, but she pulls off the role admirably, only delving into hokey melodrama in the immediate aftermath of the prom. Moore is quite good as Carrie's mother and has a really nice scene in the tailor shop in which she works. And Chris Hargensen has a memorably guresome death. But, despite this, the whole film comes off uninspired and lackluster.

A decent film. Not bad, but not particularly good.

2.5/5
                          Last edited by srboone; 10-19-2013, 08:43 AM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I think the reason for the Carrie remake is the pertinence of the anti-bullying message which has been in the spotlight these last few years. I am quite looking forward to checking it out, might even do so this weekend. I expected Moore to be to top notch as Carrie's mom, but other than that I am not expecting anything to amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                              I think the reason for the Carrie remake is the pertinence of the anti-bullying message which has been in the spotlight these last few years. I am quite looking forward to checking it out, might even do so this weekend. I expected Moore to be to top notch as Carrie's mom, but other than that I am not expecting anything to amazing.
                              I tend to think it's just more the trend of late. Remaking the movie for a new generation. Also Hollywood is nothing if not greedy. So if there's money to be made on it, expect it to get made.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

The trailers I saw for Carrie looked pretty good, and Chloe Moretz in a fantastic young star - I've liked pretty much all her movies. That being said - I am not surprised if there are lackluster reviews on Carrie as well, it's a re-hash right???

Comment

Working...
                                X