Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classes

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar

Classes

I get nothing for posting this, but I do know his classes helped me out significantly. Even as a seasoned author, don't let the title of this series of classes fool you--they can be enlightening. The author that recommended them to me said they would change the way I look at writing, and he was correct. Anyway, if you want to tweak your style, refine your prose, clean up your writing, this is as good a place as any to start.

http://michaelknost.blogspot.com/201...ne-online.html

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Thanks for the posting OZ. I've contacted Michael and I believe I will be signing up today.

No problem. They helped me significantly. I think you will enjoy them.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    Looking into this. Thanks.

Sure. A couple friends and I agree that this is his best class, although he has an imagery one that was awesome. In some of his classes he offers a story critique, but this one is basically a powerpoint with discussion. He transmits himself via cam and audio, while classroom attendees are permitted chat. It keeps things from getting too crazy. Very eye-opening for me and my friends, and I haven't met anyone yet that walked away from his classes not feeling like they got a good deal. I have his blog somewhere, but can't find it currently. If you google his name though, you can see some of his credentials. Hope this helps some of those with questions. As I said, I get nothing from this. Was just thinking those who want to tighten up their prose might find it useful.

Found it...

http://michaelknost.blogspot.com/

I would contact him via email or facebook if you are interested.

LOL...duh..I already posted it. That's what a vacation will do for you. Sorry about the dup.

Allright...I signed up. I hope he's a miracle worker LOL and J/K

His classes kind of go along with the article posted her about your "Ah ha" moments. I had several during the classes I have taken with him. Sometimes they come immediately and other times it takes a while, but if you follow closely and get your money's worth on questions you'll be well off.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar
    i found some nicely priced classes through my alam matar's office of continuing education: http://www.ed2go.com/ohiostateced/Se...E&SortAsc=True

They sound good and are priced well; but the "Wirte Fiction like a Pro" syllabus seems to go against evertying King stated in "On Writing" - theme development, story outline, etc.

still $130 for a 6 week class is pretty good although I'd like to find a class focused on short stories rather than novels
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    They sound good and are priced well; but the "Wirte Fiction like a Pro" syllabus seems to go against evertying King stated in "On Writing" - theme development, story outline, etc.
    There are two types of writers-those that follow an outline and those that don't. They can teach classes on how to outline, but they can't teach you how not to. Make sense? Either way works-it's up to the individual.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed the_last_gunslinger's Avatar
    There are two types of writers-those that follow an outline and those that don't. They can teach classes on how to outline, but they can't teach you how not to. Make sense? Either way works-it's up to the individual.
    A mixture of the two styles also works; write down and organize ideas as they come to you, but don't actively go seeking them.
    "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Quote Originally Posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
    A mixture of the two styles also works; write down and organize ideas as they come to you, but don't actively go seeking them.
    Absolutely-just explaining why the classes generally only teach one method-the other can't be taught

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed the_last_gunslinger's Avatar
    Absolutely-just explaining why the classes generally only teach one method-the other can't be taught
    I figured as much. I didn't read the preceding posts, though. Personally, I've always marvelled at those who say they supposedly do no planning at all. I get taken out of the mood to write immediately if I run into a particularly challenging stretch and am not sure how to proceed. One of my stories I'm working on now concerns itself with a fictitious religion, complete with deities, rituals, customs and positions. All this stuff needs to be worked out before beginning. It's just too complex to come up with as I go.

On the other hand, I don't even bother with character outlines; way too tedious and I never refer to them anyways.
    "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Quote Originally Posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
    Personally, I've always marvelled at those who say they supposedly do no planning at all.
    I tend to do a lot of unplanned writing. When i get an idea, it spins around in my head, and I take quick notes here and there until it forms into something. I always have a lot of projects going at once too, so when I get hung up, I can switch for a while until the idea works itself out. I guess my muse is kind of like Sybil.

In the end, a class is determined as helpful by what you take away form it. So, you won't know until you try. I'd keep an eye out for what people have already taken, and look those up. Nearby classes are sometimes great depending on the teacher. You can always email them some questions up front, and get a feel for their thoughts. That might help to make your decision easier.
    Last edited by ozmosis7; 07-21-2011 at 12:02 PM.

I take notes but they are usually so random-one or two words or a line that pops into my head. I write on autopilot though. Short stories that is-I take more notes on the longer ones. I don't think I even know HOW to do a character outline.

FYI...Michael Knost has scheduled course two. You can check out the topics here:

http://michaelknost.blogspot.com/201...ng-course.html

Hope your enjoying the classes. I found them to be spectacular. If he ever does the subtext class with Gary Braunbeck again I would highly recommend it! I may end up in for the 2nd tier of classes, but I will be on vacation. Not sure if I want to miss 2 classes without the spontaneity of the immediate feedback on questions.

I thought the first course was excellent. Generally speaking I think it's for the newbie writer (like me) however writers at all levels would come away from this course learning something new. This is something that can't be said for many courses.

I'm really psyched about taking this next course and Michael is a great teacher.

FYI...Michael Knost will be starting the level 3 course tomorrow. It looks like it touches on some different topics that y'all may be interested in.

LEVEL THREE ONLINE WRITING COURSE

We are going to kick off the LEVEL III Online Writing Course Thursday, September 15, 2011

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2011 @ 9:00 PM EST
    PACING

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2011 @ 9:00 PM EST
    MOOD & TONE

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2011 @ 9:00 PM EST
    BOOK PROPOSAL

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2011 @ 9:00 PM EST
    MARKETING