Reading Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Habits

Does anyone else have any peculiarities when it comes to reading? Like with me, I can go months without touching a book but then I'll turn around and binge for a month and read like 25 books. Plus, for me to ever really focus and give a book my attention for more than a few pages I have to have music playing. I don't know if it's an overactive mind or what but I always have to have multiple things going on.

Well, I was sent to my room alot when I was a kid, and I spent the time reading. I can focus for hours on a book. I can't read in bed anymore tho, I'll nod off.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I tend to read one primary book at a time that I focus most of my energy on while having a couple of secondary books that I read as time permits. I'm always reading something though, so I don't have any long lapses of time between books...

Comment

I can't read with the TV on, its bloody distracting

Comment

I'm always reading. When I was single with no kids I read at least a book a day. My record was 28 books in one weekend (yeah, they were short - mostly old SF from the '50s) and best page count in a day was over 1500 when I read two Tom Clancy novels and started a third.

I read everything, which can be annoying when the only thing on the table is a cereal box...I really need a book or magazine if I'm sitting alone.

I can read with the TV on as long as I can't see it and it's not a 'news' show. I can't be in the same room as an American newsreader, it drives me nuts. I can have music on, but I won't hear a damn thing after the first few minutes, so there's no point.

I'm really happy about having the Kindle app. I can now load up on books when going on vacation without worrying about the weight or having my wife remind me that 1) She's coming on vacation too, and 2) I should really leave some room for clothes.

Comment

I usually have 2 books going at a time. One at home and one at work. My brother could never understand how I could read two different books at once. But back when I was reading comics regularly, I was following 40-50 different storylines a month, so that's no biggie. At this stage in my life, I usually need it to be pretty quiet when I read. Classical music would be okay, but no TV or music with lyrics. I get distracted too easy.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

No music, no television, no talking - nothing.
              Just the book.
              Heaven!

When i try to read in bed, I can only manage five minutes -tops.
              The I fall asleep.

sk

Comment

I can read with anything going. I live in a family of six, so it's never quiet. I can just tone everything out. I can read in bed, though I always stay up past 2:00 o'clock in the morning, no matter how tired I am, I just can't put the book down. I started reading Desperation by Stephen King last night and I ended up reading roughly 422 pages.
                www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

I require perfect serenity in order to read properly. Music and television prove too great of a distraction, so they must be silent in order for me to give a book its well deserved attention.

And though I have the ability to read at a fast pace, I choose not to. I find it rather disconcerting to sit in one place too long and knock out one hundred pages in one sitting. I have this strange penchant for analysis and as such, I find myself often reading only a chapter or two, sitting the book aside for a bit and walk around a while as my mind processes what I just read.

But above all else, perhaps the one habit I have that really wears on the nerves of those around me, is my insistence on reading--particularly classic literature written in the old genteel tradition--out loud as I walk about the room. Some pieces of literature are so well constructed that I need to hear them spoken aloud.
                  "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

I usually have several books going at one time, unless I'm REALLY hooked on one. I also read the last page first-which drives everyone I know crazy-it was a habit I started while reading the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley (My favorite Brit!) as he has a terrible habit of killing off the main characters. Of course, on my Nook, it's harder to read the last page first so I don't
                    http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

I'm a really slow reader. People typically speak at 150 words per minute, and read at 250 words per minute. I'm the reverse. I intentionally read at the speed of speech so as to better absorb every nuance of language. As a writer, reading is a constant learning experience for me. Even when I'm reading something I don't like (or especially then). It teaches you what NOT to do.
                      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                        I'm a really slow reader. People typically speak at 150 words per minute, and read at 250 words per minute. I'm the reverse. I intentionally read at the speed of speech so as to better absorb every nuance of language.
                        +1

I love reading this way.
                        It's like tasting the words...savouring them...

sk

Comment

I sometimes try to slow down with some of my reading as well, I try to really feel what I am reading, and when I actually do read slowly that seems to work quite a bit. I often do not succeed at reading that way though.

I have done the reading multiple books thing at times, though lately have been reading just one book at a time (along with reading school books and such) and will soon be to 40 books read since December of '10, though many have been shorter books.

I guess technically I am reading 3 books at a time lately since I have my entertainment reading, my one school book for college summer course (I get paid to go to school right now, so not going to take summer off from school), and another book for my pre-marriage classes.

I also will likely start reading 2 books at a time while the weather is nice and can justify going outside and relaxing while reading. That would likely have to be a PB book though as I don't want to take the chance of it raining on my nice hardcover books (especially the collectible ones) while I'm outside
                          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                          Spoiler!

Comment

Oh, and I read while anything is going on sometimes, whether it's tv, music, or conversation. Sometimes I will even talk while reading, though I usually find a short stopping place and then talk
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                              I'm a really slow reader. People typically speak at 150 words per minute, and read at 250 words per minute. I'm the reverse. I intentionally read at the speed of speech so as to better absorb every nuance of language. As a writer, reading is a constant learning experience for me. Even when I'm reading something I don't like (or especially then). It teaches you what NOT to do.
                              I'm the opposite - I read at approx 2,000 words per minute, or two pages a minute for most books. I thinks it's because there are so many books to read, and so little time!

Comment

Working...
                              X