Reading Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    No music, no television, no talking - nothing.
    Just the book.
    Heaven!

sk
    Same here!

I also always take the dust jacket off of a hardcover while reading. And I love to read outside, especially on a nice sunny day and in the tub as well.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
      Same here!

I also always take the dust jacket off of a hardcover while reading. And I love to read outside, especially on a nice sunny day and in the tub as well.
      Reading in the tub is the best! Just one of the ways that e-readers are inferior! If I drop a hardcover in the tub, I am out 30 bucks-my nook? I would be out 300!
      http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
        Reading in the tub is the best! Just one of the ways that e-readers are inferior! If I drop a hardcover in the tub, I am out 30 bucks-my nook? I would be out 300!
        LOL reading in the tub? Can't say I ever did that. But like other people here, I can only read and concentrate (especially when it concerns novels) when it's totaly silent except for my clock radio playing at a low volume. There's probably only been a a couple weeks in my life when I didn't feel like reading...mainly I do it every night, even as a little kid. Once again, it's mainy non-fiction, but I've been trying over the past few years, to really focus on novels. I've read all the "classics", ie, Dickens, James, some Hawthorne, Poe, etc, but that was many years ago, but still find it difficult to concentrate on modern day stuff, especially horror novels. I'll read 140 pages of a 200 page book, then quit because I get bored. I never do that with non-fiction. I even read about 80% of King's The Stand, then quit. It was too damn long. But I did eventually finish it. Since people here have recommended both Lisey's Story and Bag of Bones, I'm going to start those. I tried the other night then found myself going back to non-fiction. I'm pretty sure I already read Lisey's Story but don't remember it so I'll give it another try. I just wish King would write shorter stories.....but if anyone here hasn't read The Damnation Game by Clive Barker, I'd reccomend that along with Swan Song by McCammon...just a couple of horror type novels I didn't lose interest in, and if even I didn't lose interest, I don't think anyone would And another novel: Tobacco Road. Great book.
        One more thing...I have a Nook too but never even messed with it. For 2 years it's been in its box; there's something about holding a REAL book that I love. I'm not sure what that "something" is, but it's there lol.

Comment

I forgot to mention...does anyone "dogear" the pages of a book they're reading? That should be a crime!! I always use a bookmark, even on an old looking book with yellow pages.

Comment

I forgot to mention...does anyone "dogear" the pages of a book they're reading? That should be a crime!! I always use a bookmark, even on an old looking book with yellow pages.
            Folding the pages of books is akin to sacrilege, in my opinion. I am very particular with how my books are kept. I aim to keep my library in the most pristine condition possible. In fact, there are certain individuals that are forbidden to touch some of my most prized literary tomes. Honestly, I have a sister that somehow managed to bend the cover of a hardcover book in half. I don't even know how you can do that unless you're trying.
            "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

My main quirk I guess is that I only like to read a book. Not off a computer screen; not an audiotape; not a "device." But a real honest-to-goodness turn the paper page BOOK.

Comment

I wholeheartedly concur, Divemaster. Give me a real book with a hardcover, no paperbacks for me. Pages, pages, its all about the turning of the pages.

Comment

Originally posted by divemaster View Post
                  My main quirk I guess is that I only like to read a book. Not off a computer screen; not an audiotape; not a "device." But a real honest-to-goodness turn the paper page BOOK.
                  What I love about the Kindle, iPad, etc is that I can now bring a couple of weeks worth of books on vacation without paying extra fees for luggage. I also like that I can get books just seconds after placing the order.

I'll still get all my specialty press limited editions in dead tree format, but ebooks definitely work for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
                    I wholeheartedly concur, Divemaster. Give me a real book with a hardcover, no paperbacks for me. Pages, pages, its all about the turning of the pages.
                    You're like me...turning the actual pages instead of swiping your finger across an e-reader. I just enjoy doing that. And just holding it in you hand, is so Sweeeet. There are a lot of people, my remaining family members as an example, who could care less about books so I'm not sure why I've always loved them. But my big problem is not being able to throw away books even non -fiction, that I haven't read in 20 years. Can't expain it really. Maybe I have OCD lol. But everyone does to a certain extent. And maybe I''m also a "hoarder". Even my bedroom is full of hundreds of books on the bookshelf and some just in two stacks by my bed, those are the ones I haven't read yet.

Comment

Same here, real paper books only! I work in IT so I spend all my time in front of a computer screen, don't need another electronic device to spend my precious reading time with.

I seem to have developed the bad habit of starting a new book, reading the first 100 or so pages and then grabbing the next new book that catches my interest. I'll eventually get around to finishing some of them off, but now I've got a shelf full of books that I've started and then got sidetracked from. Appears my reading habits have developed ADD!

Comment

Originally posted by EricTheRed View Post
                        Same here, real paper books only! I work in IT so I spend all my time in front of a computer screen, don't need another electronic device to spend my precious reading time with.

I seem to have developed the bad habit of starting a new book, reading the first 100 or so pages and then grabbing the next new book that catches my interest. I'll eventually get around to finishing some of them off, but now I've got a shelf full of books that I've started and then got sidetracked from. Appears my reading habits have developed ADD!
                        I do that all the time...read books up to the mid-way point or even to virtually the end, and then when a new book arrives I'm really interested in, I start that one. I actually am reading 3 non-fiction books at the present time lol.
                        As for novels, I quit them all the time even when I read a couple hundred pages. I can't explain it, but I will always finish the non-fiction but rarely the novels, except for The Stand and perhaps a couple others.

Still trying to get through Triage as well, so I actually I'm reading 4 books at the same time

Comment

I don't know that it's a peculiarity, but I'm one of those who has books in every room of the house, plus the car. And when I was working, in the office. And they are all in various stages of completion. I might have thirteen or so books going at once.

I'm not the most focused individual, obviously.

Comment

LOL I could never do that! Not just have books laying everywhere (I'd forget where I put them), but reading 13 books at a time?? My limit is about 4.
                            Actually, I do have books downstairs, upstairs and in the basement as well, but in my mind I know that's just 3 places, so I can handle that...having them lay elsewhere would drive me totally nuts.. I think everyone has OCD to some point, but if I had a dozen books here and fifty there and so on, I'd end up being committed.

Comment

I usually read one at a time, and manage to read a lot faster for that particular reason. As soon as I read a book I start on another.
                              www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

Wow, I can only read one at a time as well. Depending on the book and if it's part of an ongoing series I'm reading it my be done in a day or so as well.
                                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Working...
                                X