Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorable introductions to another author's work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I think we're confusing ourselves here. I meant I wasn't the only jester and my like was directed to you saying "ban" because I thought the same thing earlier before you and SK said it. I just didn't want to be that guy. I prefer not to admit that those books and movies exist, VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE!!! That right there is probably my biggest hold up with even considering giving them a shot.

Comment

Well, put my foot in my mouth again. Oh well.

And you're right, of course, they don't sparkle.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

And I did write "ban, ban" because Frik51 had used it!
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I've popped in here for no other reason to say SRBOONE - love that damn quote in your signature. Harvey is one of my favourite films and for a loooong time I went under the username of Pooka. By far the best line in the film, makes me ache.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Wallwork View Post
            I've popped in here for no other reason to say SRBOONE - love that damn quote in your signature. Harvey is one of my favourite films and for a loooong time I went under the username of Pooka. By far the best line in the film, makes me ache.
            Thank Craig! great story by the by...

And I was in the process of changing my signature when I say this. Sorry!
            Last edited by srboone; 06-28-2011, 06:04 AM.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
              Does anyone have any memorable introductions that you would find worth mentioning?
              Harlan Ellison's introduction to Dan Simmons' collection PRAYERS TO BROKEN STONES is one of the most memorable I can remember. Also, Simmons introduction to a limited edition of I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson was very well done. Come to think of it, another Dan Simmons introduction, this time to a trade paperback of King's CUJO was also a favorite.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Slee1978 View Post
                I liked the Twilight books. But that may just be me. I'm a Twihard
                You are entitled to like what you want The reason men bash those books is because they were never a fourteen year old girl, so they can't quite get what it is aimed at. Do I think the writing of those books was good? No I don't, but I DID read them all, and so long as I kept in mind that they were aimed for the 14-yr-old girl in me, I liked them just fine. The craziness is that they are young adult books, but all these adults read and criticized them. They aren't truly meant for adults.
                http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                  You are entitled to like what you want The reason men bash those books is because they were never a fourteen year old girl, so they can't quite get what it is aimed at. Do I think the writing of those books was good? No I don't, but I DID read them all, and so long as I kept in mind that they were aimed for the 14-yr-old girl in me, I liked them just fine. The craziness is that they are young adult books, but all these adults read and criticized them. They aren't truly meant for adults.
                  I bash the movies because I think they are poorly made. I've never read the books. If I found something in the movies that made me want to read the books, I would. That's why I got to these movies.

I have a feeling that in the books, Bella sees the vampire as sparkley because she is looking at them through romantic eyes, but this aspect is not very well-delineated in the movies. I also get the sense that there is something about Bella's character that makes her extraordinary in some way--something that makes a vampire and werewolf vie for her affections. The movies, however, depict her as rather plain and boring. If I could figure out makes the character of Bella extraordinary, then I would probably put them on my TBR list.

But, you're right: I was never a 14-yr-old girl, so I have to judge things as a 45-yr-old man. I'm a Dos Equis man: I'd show my feminine side, if I had one. I'm just not nearly as interesting....
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                    I bash the movies because I think they are poorly made. I've never read the books. If I found something in the movies that made me want to read the books, I would. That's why I got to these movies.

I have a feeling that in the books, Bella sees the vampire as sparkley because she is looking at them through romantic eyes, but this aspect is not very well-delineated in the movies. I also get the sense that there is something about Bella's character that makes her extraordinary in some way--something that makes a vampire and werewolf vie for her affections. The movies, however, depict her as rather plain and boring. If I could figure out makes the character of Bella extraordinary, then I would probably put them on my TBR list.

But, you're right: I was never a 14-yr-old girl, so I have to judge things as a 45-yr-old man. I'm a Dos Equis man: I'd show my feminine side, if I had one. I'm just not nearly as interesting....
                    Actually, they truly do sparkle in the books (lame I know), and you find out what's special about Bella in the last book. That wasn't a man-bashing rant from me. I just feel bad for someone who is brave enough to admit they like something, and other people make fun of them as if it were a bad thing. What we prefer is opinion at best, it's nothing to rip on each other about. I do agree the movies aren't that great. Now about that Dos Equis......

Comment

The beer sucks, I like thick, bitter beers myself. It was the philosophy. But if I find out what makes Bella special in the 4th (or will it be the 5th?) movie, then great. But's that's an awfully long time to wait for a revelation.

Reminds me of a Moorcock series didn't particularly like. At the end first book, ther hero and heroine joined to create a hermaphodic being that was supposed to be the next stage of evolution. But at the beginning of the second book and thru the third book, the hero was his normal self. 50 pages in to the fourth book, when someone asks him about that, he simply says, "Oh, our DNAs were ultimately incompatible."

Huh? oh well...He's still one of my favorite authors.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        The beer sucks, I like thick, bitter beers myself. It was the philosophy. But if I find out what makes Bella special in the 4th (or will it be the 5th?) movie, then great. But's that's an awfully long time to wait for a revelation.

Reminds me of a Moorcock series didn't particularly like. At the end first book, ther hero and heroine joined to create a hermaphodic being that was supposed to be the next stage of evolution. But at the beginning of the second book and thru the third book, the hero was his normal self. 50 pages in to the fourth book, when someone asks him about that, he simply says, "Oh, our DNAs were ultimately incompatible."

Huh? oh well...He's still one of my favorite authors.
                        I don't expect you to be impressed with the final movies, nor with what makes her so special. The books and movies are extremely convenient-something that I think appeals to the target audience. That issue with the hermaphrodite would have been enough to prevent me from even finishing the second book, so kudos for making it into the fourth. I'm surprised some editor somewhere didn't shoot himself over that!

Comment

I don't expect you to be impressed with the final movies, nor with what makes her so special. The books and movies are extremely convenient-something that I think appeals to the target audience. That issue with the hermaphrodite would have been enough to prevent me from even finishing the second book, so kudos for making it into the fourth. I'm surprised some editor somewhere didn't shoot himself over that!
                          Something crazy stupid like that fit in with the series; Moorcock as created hundreds of planes of existence (all held together by a white tower!) and they eventually start to converge (the conjuction ofthe million spheres)--much like in the DT series--so what happens in one plane doesn't neccesarily work in another. And Jerry Cornelius hops from one plane to another in the story and you have to keep a sharp eye out for when things change slightly. Confusing until you get used to it.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

In that same aspect, Harry Potter was intended for young'uns too but almost everyone I know likes them.

Comment

One of my favorite introductions was by John MacDonald to a Stephen King collection. In it he talks about his answer to people who make the comment that they wish they could be a writer and he says he tells he wishes he could be a brain surgeon. His point was, if you want to write, write. You can't do the same with brain surgery. He also talks about King's use of language in his stories. For me it was a memorable one.
                              http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
                              http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
                              http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

In some situations, one party might have requested that you present them to the other. You must still obtain consent from the individual they wish to meet.
                                1v1 lol

Comment

Working...
                                X