Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Their Facebook page.

I'm being special today and can't figure out an easy way to post the URL for the post - but it's the latest post on their page.
    That is sad to hear. He still has a future release listed on the website. Love his Chap Books but have always assumed he was breaking even at best with them.
    Last edited by Martin; 05-06-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

The Girl in a Swing is amazing! I reviewed it but am waiting to post until I can receive the book and take pictures. What an incredible love story...

Great purchase!
      “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
      -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I'll have to try and take some pictures, but my copy of Richard Adams's The Girl in the Swing from Centipede Press arrived today.
        I guess I don't understand how Jerad works because I had been considering buying that book but it's not available for sale on Centipede Press' site.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          I guess I don't understand how Jerad works because I had been considering buying that book but it's not available for sale on Centipede Press' site.
          It looks like he is missing a link. The page is up but you can't navigate to it directly:

http://centipedepress.com/horror/girlinaswing.html

Comment

Jerad emailed me last week or so about the book - said it wasn't on the website yet but wanted to give those of us who had expressed an early interest in it a chance to order it early.

So maybe I spilled the beans and said I received it ...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              It looks like he is missing a link. The page is up but you can't navigate to it directly:

http://centipedepress.com/horror/girlinaswing.html
              I assumed that was by design. He's showing what's in the works, to get people interested, but not allowing people to order until he's ready. I liked it. But now that I know there are pre-sales, I'd like to know how to get on the insiders list.

Comment

So maybe I spilled the beans and said I received it ...
                I promise not to tell.

Besides, I really couldn't afford what he said he was estimating the price would be in his last newsletter. Sleeping Beauties woke up and ran off with a huge part of my budget. And then Gwendy took some more via the Nocturnal Reader's Box.

Comment

As a collector that has been burned by people sharing order links before the publisher was ready to open orders up to the public, I'll humbly request that people not do that here. That's an edition of 100, and between subscriptions and people that showed early interest, it's possibly the title is due to sellout without being offered to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                    As a collector that has been burned by people sharing order links before the publisher was ready to open orders up to the public, I'll humbly request that people not do that here. That's an edition of 100, and between subscriptions and people that showed early interest, it's possibly the title is due to sellout without being offered to the public.
                    If I did that it was not my intention. I simply looked for it based on the Centipede Press naming conventions and found it. If indeed that was Centipede's intention I would suggest they use a different naming standard for books they are offering to a limited audience. I had no special invite to purchase it and found it about 30 seconds. When given advance notice as I have had with many releases I have not and would not share that information.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                      I assumed that was by design. He's showing what's in the works, to get people interested, but not allowing people to order until he's ready. I liked it. But now that I know there are pre-sales, I'd like to know how to get on the insiders list.
                      Make sure you're subscribed to his newsletter for starters. You can get a jump on plenty of things that way, as well as some neat subculture history and occasional great offers on older stuff.

The most reliable way to be on the 'insider's list' is to sign up for his 'subscription service' in the rare instances that he has openings and offers it. He seems to offer it every year or three. The upshot of being on that list is that you get to buy everything he publishes and won't miss anything. The potential downside, depending on your budgetary constraints, is that you have to purchase everything he publishes or you are taken off the list. I think he allows you to refuse one or two books a year, but that's it. Given that it isn't uncommon for him to put out 20-25 books a year and many of them will be in the $250-500 range, it can get expensive pretty quickly if you commit to purchasing each and every one.
                      Last edited by Daninsky; 05-07-2017, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daninsky View Post
                        Make sure you're subscribed to his newsletter for starters. You can get a jump on plenty of things that way, as well as some neat subculture history and occasional great offers on older stuff.

The most reliable way to be on the 'insider's list' is to sign up for his 'subscription service' in the rare instances that he has openings and offers it. He seems to offer it every year or three. The upshot of being on that list is that you get to buy everything he publishes and won't miss anything. The potential downside, depending on your budgetary constraints, is that you have to purchase everything he publishes or you are taken off the list. I think he allows you to refuse one or two books a year, but that's it. Given that it isn't uncommon for him to put out 20-25 books a year and many of them will be in the $250-500 range, it can get expensive pretty quickly if you commit to purchasing each and every one.
                        I tried to subscribe to his newsletter and discovered that you can only get the newsletter after you make a purchase. Because after getting Out of the Dark I suddenly started getting the Sunday emails. I didn't sign up to anything and there they were. I was happy. I didn't realize that that was just the outside layer of being a CP insider.

I do love the simplicity of his home page. Top row, you can order. Middle row, titles you should be getting ready to order. Bottom row, last chance to order. Very simple.

But if I have to buy everything, there's no way I can be inside the Centipede.

Comment

I emailed Jerad to subscribe before I made my first purchase - which by the way was for Ender's Game. I wanted to make sure I got that one.

Jerad's a great guy. He's gone out of is way for me - again - to match the number in a book I bought somewhere else.

Comment

I've had to be more selective w/ Centipede as both his prices and the number of releases per year have crept up, so I could never afford a (or desire, given that some of his selections have lesser attraction to me than others) subscription service, as much as I might want to...it'd be great if my book budget was as large as my love for Centipede's work. But the books I do get I'm always pleased with, and always feel like I receive my money's worth.

Example: I had to pass on SWING...absolutely compelling -- a reportedly great story with a very low limitation -- but at $250 I couldn't swing it. But I did just pick up the latest Vintage Horrors volume, and am very excited to recieve it. Example: I passed on the Melanie Tem collection, but bought Steve Tem's. I passed on the just published Salmonson's ANTHONY SHRIEK but picked up the recent Charnas novel. And so on. Tough choices, but with so much else out there (example: I just picked up the two new Fredric Brown collections from Haffner Press, @ $100 total), tough choices have to be made. I used to think I'd try to become a Centipede completist, and I was doing fairly good there for a while, but I had to let that goal go.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Committing to the signed edition of Sleeping Beauties took many books off the consideration set for me. I wanted Dogs, Honky Tonk Samurai, dinged copy of Last Train from Perdition, and the newly announced Station 11 by SubPress. But I'm passing on those. It's killing me.

Comment

No pic, but last night I grabbed the re-issue of King's Creepshow

Comment

Working...
                                X