No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is one Gryphon Edition book I want. The author is a currently active historian.

Paradise Sky by Joe Lansdale showed up in today's mail. What a big book!

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 09-18-2016, 06:24 AM. Reason: Edited to put in the correct publisher's name.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

These came today. I really like Swan River Press books. These are a small format, about 5X71/2.
      New books.jpg

Comment

Nice! I like Swan River Press, too. I've only got two, Mervyn Wall's Fursey novels, but they're both really nice.
        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
          Nice! I like Swan River Press, too. I've only got two, Mervyn Wall's Fursey novels, but they're both really nice.
          I have a couple of others, November Night Tales? is really good. Just the title is fantastic lol!

Comment

I like Swan River, but sometimes it hurts to pay so much for so little.

Comment

I only have one Swan River: Peter Bell's STRANGE EPIPHANIES. I hadn't even heard of these two anthos...come to think of it, I haven't seen any emails from them in quite a while. Maybe I need to sign up again for their email list; my address may have dropped through the cracks.

EDIT: ...aaannd done.
              Last edited by RonClinton; 10-06-2016, 12:13 AM.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                Paradise Sky by Joe Lansdale showed up in today's mail. What a big book!

Cap
                My copy arrived on Monday - it is a big book! Has a nice feel and appearance too. (I just wish that I didn't buy it from Sub Press for more than CD had it for (it was before the crashing of the Pound though. But yet I still feel like it was a fair price.))

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  I only have one Swan River: Peter Bell's STRANGE EPIPHANIES. I hadn't even heard of these two anthos...come to think of it, I haven't seen any emails from them in quite a while. Maybe I need to sign up again for their email list; my address may have dropped through the cracks.

EDIT: ...aaannd done.
                  You can check with Camelot Books. I tlooks like they have a large listing of Swan River books. That's where I got my set from.

Comment

I received Boy's Life a few months back and finally snapped a bunch of pictures for my blog. My hat's off to SubPress for a superb edition of an extraordinary book. Here are a few favorites:

SAM_7340.jpg

SAM_7360.jpg

SAM_7391.jpg

SAM_7376.jpg

SAM_7368.jpg

SAM_7347.jpg
                    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                      I received Boy's Life a few months back and finally snapped a bunch of pictures for my blog. My hat's off to SubPress for a superb edition of an extraordinary book. Here are a few favorites:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18978[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18983[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18982[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18980[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18981[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18979[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks for sharing the photos. That is a beautiful book.

Comment

Very nice, Andrew!

Comment

Very nice. I have the numbered edition, but if there was ever a book that I could justify spending lettered money on, it would be BOY'S LIFE...what an incredible work of fiction. Even the dedication page that you feature above resounds with poignancy and power.

Comment

What an absolutely beautiful edition Andrew. And I really dig the look of that Swan River Press book Mike.

As far as Boy's Life goes, I have yet to read it, though it is high up on my list. So... right now I don't regret not having purchased the SP edition, but probably will after having read it. It sucks living with future regret.

Comment

I'll start playing. These books make up most of my purchases for the last five or six months. I've left a few out, but these are the highlights.

Yesterday was a very good day.*

Received two books from a HD-I member, the S/L edition of FEVRE DREAM (G.R.R. Martin, Sub Press) and the S/L edition of SHARP PRACTICE (John Farris, Centipede Press), the former of which is a book I've wanted for a very long time, and the latter of which fills the sole Farris/Centipede hole in my collection.* R.e. the Martin: I'm not a GRRM fan, per se, as I've no interest in fantasy fiction and, in fact, haven't read a word of nor seen a second of the Game of Thrones saga, but I've always found FEVRE DREAM to be a fantastic genre novel, one of the best examples of historical horror.

Also received from PS Pub. was the new S/L edition of THE CEREMONIES by T.E.D. Klein...the usual slightly underwhelming PS production qualities, but I'm still thrilled to have it, a signed deluxe version of a seminal novel of modern horror fiction.

A batch (five of the six) of Crippen & Landru goodness...all signed/numbered HCs (of course, the Whitfield isn't signed by the author), all with supplemental chapbook, all Fine/Fine. *The slipcased book on the lower right is a Mysterious Press release, also with supplemental chapbook and also Fine/Fine. *

If you haven't read him before, Hoch is a lot of fun, and one of the few writers who made a living out of writing short stories almost exclusively...most estimations put his lifetime output at close to 1000 stories. *As well, "In May 1973 Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine (EQMM) began publishing a new Hoch story in every monthly issue; as of May 2007 the author had gone an astonishing 34 years without missing a single issue" -- which is a pretty impressive legacy, to say the least. *Given my affinity for bleak noir and interest in the 'why' not the 'who', his mystery stories are a bit more standard and puzzle-oriented than I typically prefer, but his skill as writer makes them exceedingly enjoyable regardless.

Picked up a few more Crippen & Landru HCs from the dealer I've bought the above from...these three E.S.G. pulp-reprint "Lost Classics" HCs and one signed/#d Michael Collins HC collection, FORTUNE'S WORLD (not pictured):

A couple cellophaned beauties...the Tem from Centipede Press and the Leonard from Library of America.

This will actually be only the second time I've read Leonard in my life. *I read one of his books a couple decades ago, it didn't hit me quite right at the time (or it was a bad selection) and I never went back to the Leonard well. *As much of a crime fiction fan as I am, it's long been an oversight on my part and I wanted to rectify it. *After this -- assuming I'll enjoy it (which I think is a safe bet) -- I plan to pick up the second and (yet to published, I believe) third LOA volumes of picks from the '80s and '90s, respectively.

Centipede Press signed/#d HCs, their new Masters of Science Fiction series.* Not sure if I'll continue with this series or not, given that I'm not a big sci-fi reader, but I did want to get the Leiber (and the Kelly was an unordered bonus):

Some Ash-Tree Press goodness that followed up an earlier six-book batch (will see if I can locate that pic later):

Another appearance by Centipede:

The last one is the S/L HC of Keene's TRIGGER WARNINGS; the others speak for themselves:

Comment

Continuing from my previous post...

A couple of Pinborough novels I've been wanting to read ever since their appearance in Leisure pbs (this is the S/L HC omnibus from Thunderstorm).

Easton signed edition of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, gilt, ribbon bookmark...an unusually nice Easton production:

Picked up a Fine/Fine 1st HC of my favorite Lawrence Block standalone (written under his Paul Kavanagh pseudonym)...very excited to have this one.* The other is a S/L Simon Unsworth HC collection from PS Pub.:

...and...

Copies of the Chivers BAAL (!!) and the Sub Press S/L editions of STINGER, THEY THIRST, and BLUE WORLD:

...and peeking behind my art-glass marble is a copy of Sub Press S/L edition of WOLF'S HOUR:

S/L HCs of Simmon's seminal sci-fi work:

S/L box set of BoB:

Some oldies but HC Arkham goodies:

Bittersweet S/L acquisitions of a talent too-soon gone:

Speaking of gone too soon...this S/L MASTERS OF THE WEIRD TALE collection from Centipede featuring the late Karl Edward Wagner:

ALSO, but not pictured:
                                Picked up the S/L HCs of:
                                PRIME EVIL (Underwood, anthology),
                                DARK FORCES (Lonely Roads Press, anthology),
                                Laymon's NIGHT SHOW (Dark Regions),
                                McCammon's BOY'S LIFE (Sub Press),
                                and Simmon's SUMMER OF NIGHT (Sub Press)

(Sorry for all the above astrixes...I cut-and-pasted these posts from another forum to display again here, and have no idea what coding conflict made them suddenly and oddly appear)
                                Last edited by RonClinton; 10-12-2016, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X