Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugen View Post
    These two little biddies wandered into my neck of the woods for a song, asking if I knew how to read.
    I told 'em I'd learn.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18923[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18924[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18925[/ATTACH]
    Beautiful!

Comment

Congrats, Andrew! FS does publish some beautiful copies.

Comment

FS is Folio Society, correct?
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks, guys. And yes, they're Folio Society. I've only got a handful of their books but am a fan. They occasionally produce some very expensive limited editions, but their trade editions are gorgeous and usually heavily illustrated, sewn and slipcased--high quality stuff.

These are actually covered in some kind of felt.
          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I recently read about the famous Crime Club novels. I searched and ran across Tiger Claws by Frank L Packard. Tiger Claws is a Crime Club novel and was published in 1928, the same year these novels began. I didn't pay much for the book. It is in great shape and I am amazed at the condition of the dustjacket-The original dustjacket.

Cap
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Thanks, guys. And yes, they're Folio Society. I've only got a handful of their books but am a fan. They occasionally produce some very expensive limited editions, but their trade editions are gorgeous and usually heavily illustrated, sewn and slipcased--high quality stuff.

These are actually covered in some kind of felt.
              I was super impressed with their The Shining edition outside of the fact that a lot of the slipcases arrived bumped. Hopefully it was well received and they'll do more.

Comment

Funny, as ardent a collector as I am, I don't have a single Folio Society release in my collection/library. I do want to get their edition of Greene's LORD OF THE FLIES someday, but haven't been lucky enough to find one at a good price...yet.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

The Shining was my first. I wouldn't hesitate to order again from them should something peek my interest.

Comment

I've notices that Barnes & Noble puts out some sharp looking books-unsigned of course. I don't have a single B&N produced book. Just sayin' ...

Cap

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Funny, as ardent a collector as I am, I don't have a single Folio Society release in my collection/library. I do want to get their edition of Greene's LORD OF THE FLIES someday, but haven't been lucky enough to find one at a good price...yet.
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

The B&N editions LOOK nice, but are poorly made. They do not stand up to the test of time. There's a reason why publishers like the Folio Society will charge $75+ even for unsigned editions - the materials to make a high-quality book aren't cheap.

Comment

For people who only read the likes of CD, Folio Society, Heritage Press, Easton Press and other high-end presses, yes, B&N editions are a big step down and aren't in the same league, but for those who read standard hardcovers from conventional publishers, B&N editions are just fine (I've read a few and have had my hands on several more).

For anyone suffering any confusion on the point, however, B&N is not a fine press; for those expecting that level of quality based on appearance, look elsewhere.
                        Last edited by St. Troy; 09-14-2016, 04:25 PM. Reason: I bubble with wisdom
                        Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Originally posted by St. Troy View Post
                          For people who only read the likes of CD, Folio Society, Heritage Press, Easton Press and other high-end presses, yes, B&N editions are a big step down and aren't in the same league, but for those who read standard hardcovers from conventional publishers, B&N editions are just fine (I've read a few and have had my hands on several more).

For anyone suffering any confusion on the point, however, B&N is not a fine press; for those expecting that level of quality based on appearance, look elsewhere.
                          Well, you have your reading copies and you have your collectable copies. At least that's how I roll anyway.

Comment

Oh, absolutely.
                            Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Funny how books age. I recently reread my old paperback of Different Seasons, and it looks every bit the 30-odd years old it is.

While I understand that yellowing happens, I can't help but feel that if a book is new enough for me to have bought it in my lifetime, I'm surprised to see aging occur. I'm almost 50 and should be used to the aging concept...

Comment

These two little biddies wandered into my neck of the woods for a song, asking if I knew how to read.
                                I told 'em I'd learn.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18923[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18924[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18925[/ATTACH]
                                Absolutely killer brother! Very jealous.

Comment

Working...
                                X