• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugen View Post
    An interesting find at the bookstore today. Not worth anything, just cool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16872[/ATTACH]
    Very interesting!

Comment

I probably would have grabbed that too Bugen! As simple as the cover is, I really like the look of it.

Comment

Some recent arrivals.
        Couple of Straubs', flat signed:
        Attached Files

Comment

'The Rats', 40th anniversary edition. Gnawed through front board, glow in the dark art:
          Attached Files

Comment

Couple of 1st ed. hardcovers. 'Crawlspace' is one I've been looking for, for ages. Only paid $8 for it. Read 'A Head Full of Ghosts' as soon as it arrived, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice adds Linc!

Comment

Thanks Theli. I was pretty happy with them.

Comment

So a week ago this past Friday, I needed to kill some time before the Sounders match (stupid 8:00 pm kick off times . . .) and found myself wandering by the Seattle Mystery Bookshop - a place that I've never thoroughly browsed before. (I had been there maybe a half a dozen times, but always for Greg Rucka signings.)

I made the mistake of asking "so, what's good?" and ended up agreeing to buy five books from authors that I hadn't ever heard of or read before (one though I kind of knew the subject of sorts.)

The first book I bought was Craig Johnson's The Cold Dish. This is the one that while I hadn't heard of the author before, I knew the series because it's what the television series Longmire is based on. Never watched the show, but I've come across it before and it was always one of those "if I had more time, I'd probably check it out" shows.

The next ones the shop employee was raving about, and it also just so happened that both authors were scheduled for book signings there later that week, so I figured why not.

IMG_5717.JPG
                  From Tuesday - Roger Hobbs - Ghost Man and Vanishing Games. The author described these as heists novels. (Apologies for the shiny pictures, the lights at work aren't good for photography, they're barely good enough for working.)

And then on Thursday:

IMG_5723.JPG
                  Don Winslow - The Power of the Dog and The Cartel.

I'm excited to try some new authors out, but unfortunately my to be read pile is getting out of control.

Comment

Winslow is great! you might remember the movie Savages? It was based on his better, grittier book. California Fire and Life is one of my favorites.
                    Mike

Comment

I think I've heard of Savages but I've never seen it. Looking forward to these nonetheless.

Comment

I worked on the Blu-ray for Savages. Pretty damned good film though some may have a hard time identifying with the characters (on-screen - I haven't read the book). But the movie is gorgeous, with colors pressed to the point of oversaturation which makes the tropical setting really sing.

Brutal, though. I imagine one scene in particular could hit hard in written format.
                        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Any thing with a chain saw is an attention-grabbing, the time shifting aspects can be off-putting....It was a pretty movie though.

Comment

I'll have to check the movie (and the book) out.

Comment

Hobbs' GHOST MAN is quite good… I picked up an inscribed first edition hardcover when Hobbs passed through the Seattle Mystery Bookshop a couple years ago. I didn't pick up his new one, Though, as something about the plot sounded a little off... Almost more Ludlumesque than noir. Will probably wait for the trade paperback on this one.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                Hobbs' GHOST MAN is quite good… I picked up an inscribed first edition hardcover when Hobbs passed through the Seattle Mystery Bookshop a couple years ago. I didn't pick up his new one, Though, as something about the plot sounded a little off... Almost more Ludlumesque than noir. Will probably wait for the trade paperback on this one.
                                He did say it was a continuation of the first novel, but I haven't read either yet so I can't say. I'll probably dive into these after I finish my current read - DUNE.

Comment

Working...
                                X