Page 147 of 202 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 4039

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed St. Troy's Avatar
    For people who only read the likes of CD, Folio Society, Heritage Press, Easton Press and other high-end presses, yes, B&N editions are a big step down and aren't in the same league, but for those who read standard hardcovers from conventional publishers, B&N editions are just fine (I've read a few and have had my hands on several more).

For anyone suffering any confusion on the point, however, B&N is not a fine press; for those expecting that level of quality based on appearance, look elsewhere.
    Last edited by St. Troy; 09-14-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: I bubble with wisdom
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    For people who only read the likes of CD, Folio Society, Heritage Press, Easton Press and other high-end presses, yes, B&N editions are a big step down and aren't in the same league, but for those who read standard hardcovers from conventional publishers, B&N editions are just fine (I've read a few and have had my hands on several more).

For anyone suffering any confusion on the point, however, B&N is not a fine press; for those expecting that level of quality based on appearance, look elsewhere.
    Well, you have your reading copies and you have your collectable copies. At least that's how I roll anyway.

Oh, absolutely.
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Funny how books age. I recently reread my old paperback of Different Seasons, and it looks every bit the 30-odd years old it is.

While I understand that yellowing happens, I can't help but feel that if a book is new enough for me to have bought it in my lifetime, I'm surprised to see aging occur. I'm almost 50 and should be used to the aging concept...

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    These two little biddies wandered into my neck of the woods for a song, asking if I knew how to read.
    I told 'em I'd learn.

Attachment 18923

Attachment 18924

Attachment 18925
    Absolutely killer brother! Very jealous.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    There is one Gryphon Edition book I want. The author is a currently active historian.

Paradise Sky by Joe Lansdale showed up in today's mail. What a big book!

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 09-18-2016 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Edited to put in the correct publisher's name.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    These came today. I really like Swan River Press books. These are a small format, about 5X71/2.
    New books.jpg

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Nice! I like Swan River Press, too. I've only got two, Mervyn Wall's Fursey novels, but they're both really nice.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Nice! I like Swan River Press, too. I've only got two, Mervyn Wall's Fursey novels, but they're both really nice.
    I have a couple of others, November Night Tales? is really good. Just the title is fantastic lol!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    I like Swan River, but sometimes it hurts to pay so much for so little.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I only have one Swan River: Peter Bell's STRANGE EPIPHANIES. I hadn't even heard of these two anthos...come to think of it, I haven't seen any emails from them in quite a while. Maybe I need to sign up again for their email list; my address may have dropped through the cracks.

EDIT: ...aaannd done.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 10-06-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Paradise Sky by Joe Lansdale showed up in today's mail. What a big book!

Cap
    My copy arrived on Monday - it is a big book! Has a nice feel and appearance too. (I just wish that I didn't buy it from Sub Press for more than CD had it for (it was before the crashing of the Pound though. But yet I still feel like it was a fair price.))

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I only have one Swan River: Peter Bell's STRANGE EPIPHANIES. I hadn't even heard of these two anthos...come to think of it, I haven't seen any emails from them in quite a while. Maybe I need to sign up again for their email list; my address may have dropped through the cracks.

EDIT: ...aaannd done.
    You can check with Camelot Books. I tlooks like they have a large listing of Swan River books. That's where I got my set from.

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    I received Boy's Life a few months back and finally snapped a bunch of pictures for my blog. My hat's off to SubPress for a superb edition of an extraordinary book. Here are a few favorites:

SAM_7340.jpg

SAM_7360.jpg

SAM_7391.jpg

SAM_7376.jpg

SAM_7368.jpg

SAM_7347.jpg
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I received Boy's Life a few months back and finally snapped a bunch of pictures for my blog. My hat's off to SubPress for a superb edition of an extraordinary book. Here are a few favorites:

SAM_7340.jpg

SAM_7360.jpg

SAM_7391.jpg

SAM_7376.jpg

SAM_7368.jpg

SAM_7347.jpg
    Thanks for sharing the photos. That is a beautiful book.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Very nice, Andrew!

Very nice. I have the numbered edition, but if there was ever a book that I could justify spending lettered money on, it would be BOY'S LIFE...what an incredible work of fiction. Even the dedication page that you feature above resounds with poignancy and power.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    What an absolutely beautiful edition Andrew. And I really dig the look of that Swan River Press book Mike.

As far as Boy's Life goes, I have yet to read it, though it is high up on my list. So... right now I don't regret not having purchased the SP edition, but probably will after having read it. It sucks living with future regret.

I'll start playing. These books make up most of my purchases for the last five or six months. I've left a few out, but these are the highlights.

Yesterday was a very good day.*

Received two books from a HD-I member, the S/L edition of FEVRE DREAM (G.R.R. Martin, Sub Press) and the S/L edition of SHARP PRACTICE (John Farris, Centipede Press), the former of which is a book I've wanted for a very long time, and the latter of which fills the sole Farris/Centipede hole in my collection.* R.e. the Martin: I'm not a GRRM fan, per se, as I've no interest in fantasy fiction and, in fact, haven't read a word of nor seen a second of the Game of Thrones saga, but I've always found FEVRE DREAM to be a fantastic genre novel, one of the best examples of historical horror.

Also received from PS Pub. was the new S/L edition of THE CEREMONIES by T.E.D. Klein...the usual slightly underwhelming PS production qualities, but I'm still thrilled to have it, a signed deluxe version of a seminal novel of modern horror fiction.

A batch (five of the six) of Crippen & Landru goodness...all signed/numbered HCs (of course, the Whitfield isn't signed by the author), all with supplemental chapbook, all Fine/Fine. *The slipcased book on the lower right is a Mysterious Press release, also with supplemental chapbook and also Fine/Fine. *

If you haven't read him before, Hoch is a lot of fun, and one of the few writers who made a living out of writing short stories almost exclusively...most estimations put his lifetime output at close to 1000 stories. *As well, "In May 1973 Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine (EQMM) began publishing a new Hoch story in every monthly issue; as of May 2007 the author had gone an astonishing 34 years without missing a single issue" -- which is a pretty impressive legacy, to say the least. *Given my affinity for bleak noir and interest in the 'why' not the 'who', his mystery stories are a bit more standard and puzzle-oriented than I typically prefer, but his skill as writer makes them exceedingly enjoyable regardless.

Picked up a few more Crippen & Landru HCs from the dealer I've bought the above from...these three E.S.G. pulp-reprint "Lost Classics" HCs and one signed/#d Michael Collins HC collection, FORTUNE'S WORLD (not pictured):

A couple cellophaned beauties...the Tem from Centipede Press and the Leonard from Library of America.

This will actually be only the second time I've read Leonard in my life. *I read one of his books a couple decades ago, it didn't hit me quite right at the time (or it was a bad selection) and I never went back to the Leonard well. *As much of a crime fiction fan as I am, it's long been an oversight on my part and I wanted to rectify it. *After this -- assuming I'll enjoy it (which I think is a safe bet) -- I plan to pick up the second and (yet to published, I believe) third LOA volumes of picks from the '80s and '90s, respectively.

Centipede Press signed/#d HCs, their new Masters of Science Fiction series.* Not sure if I'll continue with this series or not, given that I'm not a big sci-fi reader, but I did want to get the Leiber (and the Kelly was an unordered bonus):

Some Ash-Tree Press goodness that followed up an earlier six-book batch (will see if I can locate that pic later):

Another appearance by Centipede:

The last one is the S/L HC of Keene's TRIGGER WARNINGS; the others speak for themselves:

Continuing from my previous post...

A couple of Pinborough novels I've been wanting to read ever since their appearance in Leisure pbs (this is the S/L HC omnibus from Thunderstorm).

Easton signed edition of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, gilt, ribbon bookmark...an unusually nice Easton production:

Picked up a Fine/Fine 1st HC of my favorite Lawrence Block standalone (written under his Paul Kavanagh pseudonym)...very excited to have this one.* The other is a S/L Simon Unsworth HC collection from PS Pub.:

...and...

Copies of the Chivers BAAL (!!) and the Sub Press S/L editions of STINGER, THEY THIRST, and BLUE WORLD:

...and peeking behind my art-glass marble is a copy of Sub Press S/L edition of WOLF'S HOUR:

S/L HCs of Simmon's seminal sci-fi work:

S/L box set of BoB:

Some oldies but HC Arkham goodies:

Bittersweet S/L acquisitions of a talent too-soon gone:

Speaking of gone too soon...this S/L MASTERS OF THE WEIRD TALE collection from Centipede featuring the late Karl Edward Wagner:

ALSO, but not pictured:
    Picked up the S/L HCs of:
    PRIME EVIL (Underwood, anthology),
    DARK FORCES (Lonely Roads Press, anthology),
    Laymon's NIGHT SHOW (Dark Regions),
    McCammon's BOY'S LIFE (Sub Press),
    and Simmon's SUMMER OF NIGHT (Sub Press)

(Sorry for all the above astrixes...I cut-and-pasted these posts from another forum to display again here, and have no idea what coding conflict made them suddenly and oddly appear)
    Last edited by RonClinton; 10-12-2016 at 07:44 PM.