Page 113 of 210 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 4184

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Very nice adds Linc!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Lincoln's Avatar
    Thanks Theli. I was pretty happy with them.

Senior Member Hearing Voices TacomaDiver's Avatar
    So a week ago this past Friday, I needed to kill some time before the Sounders match (stupid 8:00 pm kick off times . . .) and found myself wandering by the Seattle Mystery Bookshop - a place that I've never thoroughly browsed before. (I had been there maybe a half a dozen times, but always for Greg Rucka signings.)

I made the mistake of asking "so, what's good?" and ended up agreeing to buy five books from authors that I hadn't ever heard of or read before (one though I kind of knew the subject of sorts.)

The first book I bought was Craig Johnson's The Cold Dish. This is the one that while I hadn't heard of the author before, I knew the series because it's what the television series Longmire is based on. Never watched the show, but I've come across it before and it was always one of those "if I had more time, I'd probably check it out" shows.

The next ones the shop employee was raving about, and it also just so happened that both authors were scheduled for book signings there later that week, so I figured why not.

IMG_5717.JPG
    From Tuesday - Roger Hobbs - Ghost Man and Vanishing Games. The author described these as heists novels. (Apologies for the shiny pictures, the lights at work aren't good for photography, they're barely good enough for working.)

And then on Thursday:

IMG_5723.JPG
    Don Winslow - The Power of the Dog and The Cartel.

I'm excited to try some new authors out, but unfortunately my to be read pile is getting out of control.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Winslow is great! you might remember the movie Savages? It was based on his better, grittier book. California Fire and Life is one of my favorites.
    Mike

I think I've heard of Savages but I've never seen it. Looking forward to these nonetheless.

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    I worked on the Blu-ray for Savages. Pretty damned good film though some may have a hard time identifying with the characters (on-screen - I haven't read the book). But the movie is gorgeous, with colors pressed to the point of oversaturation which makes the tropical setting really sing.

Brutal, though. I imagine one scene in particular could hit hard in written format.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Any thing with a chain saw is an attention-grabbing, the time shifting aspects can be off-putting....It was a pretty movie though.

I'll have to check the movie (and the book) out.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Hobbs' GHOST MAN is quite good… I picked up an inscribed first edition hardcover when Hobbs passed through the Seattle Mystery Bookshop a couple years ago. I didn't pick up his new one, Though, as something about the plot sounded a little off... Almost more Ludlumesque than noir. Will probably wait for the trade paperback on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Hobbs' GHOST MAN is quite good… I picked up an inscribed first edition hardcover when Hobbs passed through the Seattle Mystery Bookshop a couple years ago. I didn't pick up his new one, Though, as something about the plot sounded a little off... Almost more Ludlumesque than noir. Will probably wait for the trade paperback on this one.
    He did say it was a continuation of the first novel, but I haven't read either yet so I can't say. I'll probably dive into these after I finish my current read - DUNE.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post

And then on Thursday:

IMG_5723.JPG
    Don Winslow - The Power of the Dog and The Cartel.

I'm excited to try some new authors out, but unfortunately my to be read pile is getting out of control.
    I just read The Cartel last week - awesome book! Winslow recently took out a full page ad in The Washington Post calling for an end to the war on drugs, and having read his books, I can see why.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    He did say it was a continuation of the first novel, but I haven't read either yet so I can't say. I'll probably dive into these after I finish my current read - DUNE.
    Yeah, same protagonist...but the circumstances of his plight are much more international and adventuresome rather than regional and noir...at least that's what I gathered from the synopsis and various reviews of the new book. I could be way off, I don't know, but with already too much to read I didn't want to gamble, so I'll just wait 'til it comes out in tpb or pick the HC up @ Half-Price Books at some point down the road...unless I get in a Ludlum-kinda-mood and need a quick fix.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Wife and I popped into a yard sale near our house and of course, I head straight to the books.... grabbed John Saul's Suffer The Children, as well as a collection title Night Screams
    Last edited by TJCams; 07-14-2015 at 03:12 PM.

IMG_0531.jpg
    Already peeked at Savages. K.J. Parker is wicked. getting ready for Fantasy overload!

Since I ordered Cemetery Dance's new collection from Owen King, I decided to track down the Gauntlet Pres version of Double Feature. This was a lot easier than expected since they still have copies in stock.

IMG_7441.JPG

I haven't read anything from Owen, but it'll be nice to add to my collection. Now to e-mail Mindy and see if I can get the same number.

(I also received by copy of Go Set A Watchman. I'm really torn by this novel because of the circumstances behind its publication. It also bothers me that so many news agencies and websites refer to it as a sequel, when it's not. I am going to treat it as the Beta Version of Mockingbird. And I find all sorts of behind the scenes features quite interesting, so it'll be fascination to see what Mockingbird originally looked like.)

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    IMG_0531.jpg
    Already peeked at Savages. K.J. Parker is wicked. getting ready for Fantasy overload!
    Very nice additions!
    I'm back to work on my fantasy collection again, which I have hardly touched in years until recently. It's almost like starting anew since I started my limited edition collection with horror mostly. So many Sub. Press books, it's daunting

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jhanic's Avatar
    I got my signed trade edition of King's Finders Keepers yesterday. That gives me 99 King signatures.

John

^Very nice John. You've almost reached triple digits!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I got my signed trade edition of King's Finders Keepers yesterday. That gives me 99 King signatures.

John
    WOW!!!!! That's impressive to say the least...good job!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Wow !!! I'm only 96 behind you. .
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John