Page 187 of 188 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188 LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,740 of 3748

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

  1. #3721
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    9
    So this showed up today....

    First of all, the quality is fantastic, and I couldn't believe how big it is! It just fits beside my CP edition of 'Salem's Lot, so that's good.

    IMG_6108.jpg

    Here's The Outsider for comparison.

    IMG_6109.jpg

    And then inside the case...

    IMG_6110.jpg

    And the silver coin with SK on one side and RC on the other.

    IMG_6111.jpg

    IMG_6112.jpg

    Overall a very impressive package. Well done, Lonely Road Books!

  2. #3722
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,008
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    So this showed up today....

    First of all, the quality is fantastic, and I couldn't believe how big it is! It just fits beside my CP edition of 'Salem's Lot, so that's good.

    IMG_6108.jpg

    Here's The Outsider for comparison.

    IMG_6109.jpg

    And then inside the case...

    IMG_6110.jpg

    And the silver coin with SK on one side and RC on the other.

    IMG_6111.jpg

    IMG_6112.jpg

    Overall a very impressive package. Well done, Lonely Road Books!
    Congratulations! I don't even have a shipping notice for Gwendy yet. Looking forward to seeing that one in my home.

  3. #3723
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,021
    Rep Power
    29
    Congrats, Dave!

  4. #3724
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    786
    Rep Power
    8
    That’s a gorgeous edition! Congrats!

  5. #3725
    Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,353
    Rep Power
    51
    Found this and have really enjoyed it. Touchstone: A Tribute to Fritz Leiber And Ray Bradbury, The Mysterious Stranger Press, 1978. Written while both men were still alive and so were most of the contributors. A very poignant read, full of sweet remanences. Not much to look at, but full of love! If you like Bradbury and Leiber, this is a must for your collection.

    Touchstone.jpg

  6. #3726
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    989
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Found this and have really enjoyed it. Touchstone: A Tribute to Fritz Leiber And Ray Bradbury, The Mysterious Stranger Press, 1978. Written while both men were still alive and so were most of the contributors. A very poignant read, full of sweet remanences. Not much to look at, but full of love! If you like Bradbury and Leiber, this is a must for your collection.

    Touchstone.jpg
    I’m a fan of both men’s work, and am immensely envious of your find!

  7. #3727
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,241
    Rep Power
    10
    Nice new adds! Keep em' coming.

  8. #3728
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    989
    Rep Power
    9
    Just picked up the new S/L HC of Lansdale's DRIVING TO GERONIMO'S GRAVE (Subterranean Press, 2018). A number of these I've read previously in their original sources, but it'll be nice to have them all together in this attractive package...and I do think there is some original content and/or stuff I haven't yet read.

  9. #3729
    Senior Member Inmate c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    491
    Rep Power
    5
    A 2 For 1 Lancer Books double (It's not a flipbook). First, The Naked Canvas by William Arnold and the second book is French Maid by Morton Cooper. I'm really digging these old vintage paperbacks. I considered starting a new thread - Post Your Latest Find.

    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  10. #3730
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,008
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    A 2 For 1 Lancer Books double (It's not a flipbook). First, The Naked Canvas by William Arnold and the second book is French Maid by Morton Cooper. I'm really digging these old vintage paperbacks. I considered starting a new thread - Post Your Latest Find.

    Cap
    Although I do not collect them I do love looking at classic paperback covers. Between you and Ron Clinton I think a thread of that would be fantastic!

  11. #3731
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    989
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Although I do not collect them I do love looking at classic paperback covers. Between you and Ron Clinton I think a thread of that would be fantastic!
    Vintage mystery/noir pbs are definitely my second book-love after horror S/L HCs and, recently, '80s and '90s vintage horror pbs...heck, sometimes they're neck-and-neck. There's a charm to those '40 - '60s vintage noir pbs that is both timeless and of-its-time, and hard to beat when you're in the mood for something stripped down (rarely run more than 150 pages) and unabashedly written to entertain and, in this day and age, give you a window to a time now all but gone. In fact, the author whose works I have most of -- hold on while I go count...okay, 83 books in all, more than all my Lansdales, Laymons, etc. -- is a vintage mystery/noir/sleaze author. Just like any genre, there'sa lot of dreck out there and you have to pan a lot of publishers' output for those nuggets of gold, but when you find them...wow, just great stuff, and a testament to the fact that quality (writing) endures and is timeless.

  12. #3732
    Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,353
    Rep Power
    51
    I have a quite a few of the old "Gold Key" authors that I look for. Of course, I'm a huge Raymond Chandler fan, Ross MacDonald, Lawrence Block, Eugene Izzi. I agree with you Ron, pot boilers are just fun.

  13. #3733
    Senior Member Inmate c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    491
    Rep Power
    5
    I know I shouldn't do it and I'm trying to control my buying impulse. There is a 3 book lot on eBay, fantastic price, that I've been looking at for the past two days. I've got some vintage paperbacks in my room I haven't yet read. Vintage paperbacks are just so much fun for me to read and I really read them fast.

    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  14. #3734
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    989
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I have a quite a few of the old "Gold Key" authors that I look for. Of course, I'm a huge Raymond Chandler fan, Ross MacDonald, Lawrence Block, Eugene Izzi. I agree with you Ron, pot boilers are just fun.
    Yeah, Gold Medal is one of my favorite publishers of that era (I think that's what you're referring to...?) as they tended to have an editorial slant and quality control that made their releases a bit more reliable. That said, they, like all publishers, had some definite misfires, but *in general* they tended to be pretty good, and I suspect I probably have more of that imprint than any other.

  15. #3735
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    989
    Rep Power
    9
    You know it's one helluva Good Day when you go out bookstore hopping because two of the larger used bookstores in your area are both having a 40% Off weekend sale....and then incredibly you find there (along with a few pbs) two signed/limited HCs that you've been wanting for quite some time (especially the Hautala), each still at cover price (but then minus the 40%)...and you have a $80 rebate Visa gift card in your wallet that covers the cost of all your books and leaves you just enough for a treat and drink at Starbuck's afterward.


  16. #3736
    Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    You know it's one helluva Good Day when you go out bookstore hopping because two of the larger used bookstores in your area are both having a 40% Off weekend sale....and then incredibly you find there (along with a few pbs) two signed/limited HCs that you've been wanting for quite some time (especially the Hautala), each still at cover price (but then minus the 40%)...and you have a $80 rebate Visa gift card in your wallet that covers the cost of all your books and leaves you just enough for a treat and drink at Starbuck's afterward.

    AMAZING day.

  17. #3737
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,008
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    You know it's one helluva Good Day when you go out bookstore hopping because two of the larger used bookstores in your area are both having a 40% Off weekend sale....and then incredibly you find there (along with a few pbs) two signed/limited HCs that you've been wanting for quite some time (especially the Hautala), each still at cover price (but then minus the 40%)...and you have a $80 rebate Visa gift card in your wallet that covers the cost of all your books and leaves you just enough for a treat and drink at Starbuck's afterward.

    Great Day!

  18. #3738
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    989
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    AMAZING day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Great Day!
    Amazing, great, and outstanding!

    Seeing that rather scarce Hautala collection on the shelf at a local used bookstore -- and at cover price and then 40% off, no less -- just about bowled me over. Talk about a double-take...

  19. #3739
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    989
    Rep Power
    9
    Btw, I left behind a helluva deal on another S/L Cemetery Dance book...still trying to convince myself that it was the right thing to do.

    A signed (four or five pages of signatures) and slipcased copy of the BIG BOOK OF NECON...priced at $50...then minus 40%...$30 and it coulda been mine. But, no, I told myself, I already have the trade edition, and you don't go to Cons -- let alone Necon -- so spending $30 to upgrade to the deluxe edition would be silly. That's what I told myself....and for some reason I believed it.

    If I didn't have something else going on tomorrow, I'd probably shoot down there mull it over again in person. Oh well, I have Hautala and Lumley to assuage my sorrow...

  20. #3740
    Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Btw, I left behind a helluva deal on another S/L Cemetery Dance book...still trying to convince myself that it was the right thing to do.

    A signed (four or five pages of signatures) and slipcased copy of the BIG BOOK OF NECON...priced at $50...then minus 40%...$30 and it coulda been mine. But, no, I told myself, I already have the trade edition, and you don't go to Cons -- let alone Necon -- so spending $30 to upgrade to the deluxe edition would be silly. That's what I told myself....and for some reason I believed it.

    If I didn't have something else going on tomorrow, I'd probably shoot down there mull it over again in person. Oh well, I have Hautala and Lumley to assuage my sorrow...
    I need to identify some good bookstores in my area . . .

Similar Threads

  1. eBook Purchase/Download Help
    By Dan Hocker in forum eBook Projects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •