Page 154 of 207 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 4126

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

  1. #3061
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,787
    Rep Power
    14
    The trilogy is a lot of fun. It starts off strong, ebbs a bit in the second volume, and come roaring back with the third novel in a post-apocalyptic setting. Good stuff, and the Centipede production values are very present. I only wish there'd been a slipcase for the set as was discussed at one point (I think Jerad was considering a thin paper slipcase, if memory serves).

  2. #3062
    Senior Member Hearing Voices TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    1). A Fine/Fine HC of Joe Lansdale's A MAGIC WAGON, the Doubleday 1st HC, Joe's hardcover debut. Always wanted this one, even though I have the Borderlands S/L. I plan to have him sign it when I see him on his tour in a few weeks.
    I just posted about his tour - which stop are you heading to? I'm going to Third Place Books on the evening of the 2nd. I wish I still worked downtown because Seattle Mystery was literally across the street (except my employer moved to SODO, but still dang close!)

  3. #3063
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    The trilogy is a lot of fun. It starts off strong, ebbs a bit in the second volume, and come roaring back with the third novel in a post-apocalyptic setting. Good stuff, and the Centipede production values are very present. I only wish there'd been a slipcase for the set as was discussed at one point (I think Jerad was considering a thin paper slipcase, if memory serves).
    I haven't read the final book yet but really enjoyed the first two.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  4. #3064
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    7
    I couldn't resist this book with three James M Cain novels: The Postman Always Rings Twice, Mildred Pierce, Double Indemnity. It is a little scuffed on the front and back covers, but it was only $9.12 w. free shipping.


    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  5. #3065
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I couldn't resist this book with three James M Cain novels: The Postman Always Rings Twice, Mildred Pierce, Double Indemnity. It is a little scuffed on the front and back covers, but it was only $9.12 w. free shipping.


    Cap
    I have yet to read Mildred Pierce, but love the other two. I also have a Cain anthology with the three included plus a few shorts. Great writer.

  6. #3066
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,787
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I have yet to read Mildred Pierce, but love the other two. I also have a Cain anthology with the three included plus a few shorts. Great writer.
    THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE is among my Top Five Books of all-time, and DOUBLE INDEMNITY is also very, very good. MILDRED PIERCE, while more literature than noir, is a good character piece, and the relationship between Mildred and her daughter is fascinating. Cain's other work is uneven -- especially his later stuff -- but had he just penned POSTMAN and INDEMNITY, his legacy as an extraordinary writer would still be sealed.

  7. #3067
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Agreed. The Postman Always Rings Twice is in my top 10 as well, perhaps even in it's higher echelons.

  8. #3068
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    9
    Here are a few picks of the Women Crime Writers books from Library of America. Normally I'll abstain from books that specifically exclude based on race or sex, but this one's different for a number of reasons. And I desperately need to read Laura and In A Lonely Place.

    The original set from Barnes and Noble had a damaged slipcase, but I ordered and just received a replacement from LOA. There were a couple of comments about having the books but not the specialized slipcases, so just in case folks weren't aware I wanted to make sure people knew the cases are available directly from LOA for 6$ shipped, a really good deal (just scroll down).

    https://loa.org/books/361-american-noir-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/430-women-...-50s-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/386-dashie...tion-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/401-raymon...tion-boxed-set

    SAM_9060.jpg

    SAM_9062.jpg

    SAM_9066.jpg

    SAM_9068.jpg

    SAM_9073.jpg
    Last edited by bugen; 02-26-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  9. #3069
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,704
    Rep Power
    54
    Thanks for the great info. Just ordered 2 slipcases, Raymond Chandler, American Noir.

  10. #3070
    Senior Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Plasticine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    6
    Just received Lonely Road edition of The Vampyricon Trilogy.




















  11. #3071
    Senior Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Plasticine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    6




















    I wasn't collecting when this edition was announced. By the time I found out about it, it was long sold out. So, needless to say I had to pay an aftermarket premium for my copy. Even with the extra I paid, it was more than worth it. Just a gorgeous edition of this series. High production standards. Just wonderful attention to detail. The custom made slip case is great. Plus the thing is filled with great artwork. The pictures I took represents may half of the art. Just an amazing edition. Really glad to have added it to my collection.

  12. #3072
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    9
    Very nice--thanks for the pics!
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  13. #3073
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,829
    Rep Power
    52
    Excellent production!

  14. #3074
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,259
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticine View Post




















    I wasn't collecting when this edition was announced. By the time I found out about it, it was long sold out. So, needless to say I had to pay an aftermarket premium for my copy. Even with the extra I paid, it was more than worth it. Just a gorgeous edition of this series. High production standards. Just wonderful attention to detail. The custom made slip case is great. Plus the thing is filled with great artwork. The pictures I took represents may half of the art. Just an amazing edition. Really glad to have added it to my collection.
    Vampyricon is another top notch production from Lonely Road book. Glad you were able to snag a copy!

  15. #3075
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Plasticine: Great grab on Vampyricon.

    Andrew: Nice crime collection there. I'd like to read the original novel of In a Lonely Place some day.

  16. #3076
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,787
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    Here are a few picks of the Women Crime Writers books from Library of America. Normally I'll abstain from books that specifically exclude based on race or sex, but this one's different for a number of reasons. And I desperately need to read Laura and In A Lonely Place.

    The original set from Barnes and Noble had a damaged slipcase, but I ordered and just received a replacement from LOA. There were a couple of comments about having the books but not the specialized slipcases, so just in case folks weren't aware I wanted to make sure people knew the cases are available directly from LOA for 6$ shipped, a really good deal (just scroll down).

    https://loa.org/books/361-american-noir-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/430-women-...-50s-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/386-dashie...tion-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/401-raymon...tion-boxed-set

    SAM_9060.jpg

    SAM_9062.jpg

    SAM_9066.jpg

    SAM_9068.jpg

    SAM_9073.jpg
    Almost grabbed this a few weeks ago when I saw a copy at Half-Price Books for, I think, $24.98. Although it really appealed to the vintage noir fan in me, the books looked a little heavy on "domestic noir," for lack of a better term, though that slant is certainly understandable, given the era and the sex of the authors, and I've read enough (not much, but enough) Highsmith, Millar, and Hughes to know that that's not really an accurate take on their work. Still, just didn't appeal to me enough for me to pull the trigger on it. Changed my mind a week later, went back, and it was gone. I plan to keep an eye out for another set, as I regret my kneejerk reaction to it and wish now I'd picked it up.

  17. #3077
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,787
    Rep Power
    14
    Thought I'd post this here, given that I know we have a few members from the Puget Sound area:

    Picked this one (photo below) up over the weekend...not a big deal in the scheme of things, worth perhaps five or ten bucks on a good day, but it is one I'd wanted to read for a while.

    The special thing -- well, maybe "unfortunate" is a more apt term -- is that it may be the last book I buy from one of my favorite used bookstores in the Seattle area, probably THE favorite, given that while I like visiting U Books and Third Place, I don't often come away with much from those two. The Half-Price Book store in the University District is closing down in late March / early April. I went there this weekend and shelves were being cleared and inventory reduced. I thought, No, this can't be right... But after talking to a couple of employees, it was: The place is being shuttered in about a month. Not sure if it's due to lack of business, or overdue repairs that need to be made to the building, or a planned gentrification, or...??, but whatever reason, it really, really sucks.

    For those in the area, this is the two-story HPB on Roosevelt. If you're a plan of the place like me, best get in for a last visit before the doors are locked forever.


  18. #3078
    Senior Member Hearing Voices TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    11
    Damn. I always hate seeing bookstores close.

    I've only been to the University HPB once since I don't get that far north. My regular store in Tacoma so I spend most of money there. I've been to Tukwila a few times but it's always disappointing.

    Have you visited Tacoma Book Center yet? To me, it blows Powells out of the water in regards to finding treasures plus the lack of tourist destination is nice.

  19. #3079
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Damn. I always hate seeing bookstores close.
    Hear, hear. Godspeed to all our fallen oracles.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  20. #3080
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,787
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post

    Have you visited Tacoma Book Center yet? To me, it blows Powells out of the water in regards to finding treasures plus the lack of tourist destination is nice.
    I have been to Tacoma Book Center, yes...probably a dozen times or so. I don't get down south too often, but I'll periodically hit TBC on my way back from a family visit in Oregon (and Powells! )...so I'd guess a dozen times or so over the many years. It's a neat place, a big place stuffed full of books in lots of different rooms...almost a throwback to the great old boookstores of our area (Shorey's, et al), now most gone. I never seem to come away with much, but I have a heckuva fun time browsing there.

Similar Threads

  1. eBook Purchase/Download Help
    By Dan Hocker in forum eBook Projects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •