Page 176 of 185 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 3689

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    My copy of Julia arrived yesterday. I wish there was a way to convey the quality of the paper used in this one. It’s outstanding.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    My copy of Julia arrived yesterday. I wish there was a way to convey the quality of the paper used in this one. It’s outstanding.
    It is! I tried to take pictures of it, but my photography skills are seriously lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I own and have read Burks' Arkham House collection, and it was pretty good. Not sure I'd call him a "Master" of the form, though, nor arguably worth the MoTW price tag.
    Thanks for the insight. Iím torn on picking up the MotWT volume. If they didnít have two more volumes following so quickly behind...

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    It is! I tried to take pictures of it, but my photography skills are seriously lacking.
    I really want to pick up this edition. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    It took me a while to get around to taking pictures, but here was my Christmas gift from my wife this year:

The Centipede Press edition of Peter Straub's Julia.

I had serious reservations that the book would live up to its rather steep price tag, but DEAR GOD, is this a good looking book! Centipede did an amazing job with this edition: from the cover art and binding, even the paper used on this thing is impressive. I've always had a sweet spot for this understated gem of a book in my heart, but now I'm happy to have this edition in my collection.

Attachment 20379Attachment 20380
    Attachment 20381Attachment 20382
    Attachment 20383Attachment 20384
    Man, you got me jealous with this one.

On Wednesday, I received Dead on Arrival-10 Great Fact Detective Cases from the Editors of Hillman Publications. This is a vintage paperback and each segment is a real-life true crime tale. The 10 Great Fact Detective Cases on the cover caught my eye when I first saw this book. I had no idea it was true crime, I thought it was a fiction collection. ~Cap
    51Hxc0S5ELL.jpg
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Totally Insane Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    On Wednesday, I received Dead on Arrival-10 Great Fact Detective Cases from the Editors of Hillman Publications. This is a vintage paperback and each segment is a real-life true crime tale. The 10 Great Fact Detective Cases on the cover caught my eye when I first saw this book. I had no idea it was true crime, I thought it was a fiction collection. ~Cap
    51Hxc0S5ELL.jpg
    That sounds very cool!

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Thanks for the insight. I’m torn on picking up the MotWT volume. If they didn’t have two more volumes following so quickly behind...
    I'm really looking forward to Centipede's edition of Arthur Machen's work.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Speaking of vintage paperbacks, I picked these items up from ebay. Very cool and super reasonable.
    IMG_0816.jpgIMG_0815.jpgIMG_0817.jpg

These are my two latest purchases.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Stories by R. L. Stevenson from 1929. I'm unsure if the publisher is E P Dutton and Company or J M Dent & Sons Ltd. It's a mini hardback. I saw on eBay other new mini hardcovers of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. This one drew me in mainly because of the cool illustration of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde side by side on the inside.

Murder in the Blackout, a Tower Mystery, by J. Russell Warren from 1943. This is the US title for The Gas-Mask Murder. I kind of like the bat logo stamped over the A Tower Mystery.

I spent under $25 for these two books and I think they were well worth it!

Cap

Widow's Point trade hardcover by Richard and Billy Chizmar (Hopefully signed by both authors).
    Lost and Lonely S/L by Brian James Freeman.
    Phoresis by Greg Egan.
    Offspring and Off Season by Jack Ketchum trade paperbacks with a signed bookplate for each.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 02-05-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Junior Member Visitor Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    My CD Review Copy Grab Bag arrived today! I am very happy with it.

CD ARCS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post

CD ARCS.jpg
    Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post

CD ARCS.jpg
    Congratulations! Salome and Lost and Lonely are both great reads.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Good grabs!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Will be interested to hear what you think.
    OK. I bought the CD trade edition of THE MAILMAN on January 3rd and when it arrived I moved it near the top of my TBR pile and then I read it. And I read it all. And I finished it yesterday. And I really really really did not like it. In fact, the more I reflect on it the more I hate it.

I read it with an open mind. I pushed through even though I wasn't enjoying it. It kind of had an upswing somewhere toward the end, but that crashed. I really did hope that the book would win me over. I want to like Little. So many people seem to enjoy him and get what he''s doing and I hate missing out on the fun. I hate being the stick in the mud. But this. I just couldn't do it.

So I think I can close a chapter on my life regarding Little. I wanted to. I tried. I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    OK. I bought the CD trade edition of THE MAILMAN on January 3rd and when it arrived I moved it near the top of my TBR pile and then I read it. And I read it all. And I finished it yesterday. And I really really really did not like it. In fact, the more I reflect on it the more I hate it.

I read it with an open mind. I pushed through even though I wasn't enjoying it. It kind of had an upswing somewhere toward the end, but that crashed. I really did hope that the book would win me over. I want to like Little. So many people seem to enjoy him and get what he''s doing and I hate missing out on the fun. I hate being the stick in the mud. But this. I just couldn't do it.

So I think I can close a chapter on my life regarding Little. I wanted to. I tried. I can't.
    I really enjoyed The Mailman. For me the author I really wanted to like but could not get into was Anne Rice. I have attempted several of her books, I just do not like her writing.

You made the effort, you can move on in peace.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I really enjoyed The Mailman. For me the author I really wanted to like but could not get into was Anne Rice. I have attempted several of her books, I just do not like her writing.

You made the effort, you can move on in peace.
    I had the same reaction to Rice. I tried to read Tale of the Body Thief and Witching Hour.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    I think The Vampire Lestat is an excellent starting place. I loved The Witching Hour but GOD! It's the size of three books and took a LONG time to get through. Her Vampires are much better than the Witches but I love them both. Interview with the Vampire is far from my favorite of hers. That would probably be The Queen of the Damned (and don't watch that shitty movie if you haven't already). Rice can be really excellent once you get on a roll with her. I read 17 of books in a row a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I think The Vampire Lestat is an excellent starting place. I loved The Witching Hour but GOD! It's the size of three books and took a LONG time to get through. Her Vampires are much better than the Witches but I love them both. Interview with the Vampire is far from my favorite of hers. That would probably be The Queen of the Damned (and don't watch that shitty movie if you haven't already). Rice can be really excellent once you get on a roll with her. I read 17 of books in a row a few years back.
    I have tried to read The Vampire Lestat and Interview With the Vampire multiple times. I even tried Sleeping Beauties thinking maybe it was the Vampire stories I did not like. She is actually one of the very few authors I have been unable to force my way through a book for. Something in her writing style just irritates me and I can't get through them.