Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I passed as well but I'm looking forward to the Arthur Machen, Arthur Burk, Swords Against Death and Children of the Night.
    I’ve been on the fence about whether or not to pick up the Arthur Burks book as I’m not familiar with his work. Any past experience with it?

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      Wow, that JULIA is beautiful -- sure makes me really examine my decision to skip it because of the price tag. Clearly, the book justifies its cost. That was a very generous gift from your wife, you're a lucky man.
      There was a copy on eBay for $250 or Best Offer. Maybe you can work out a deal that takes the sting out of that price tag a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        I’ve been on the fence about whether or not to pick up the Arthur Burks book as I’m not familiar with his work. Any past experience with it?
        None what-so-ever LOL!! But I read his biography, seems like an interesting guy and he was certainly prolific during the pulp era. " He served in the United States Marine Corps in World War I, and began writing in 1920. After being stationed in the Caribbean and inspired by the native voodoo rituals, Burks began to write stories of the supernatural that he sold to the magazine Weird Tales. In 1928 he resigned from the Marine Corps and began writing full-time. He became one of the "million-word-a-year" men in the pulp magazines by virtue of his tremendous output. He wrote in the neighborhood of 800 stories for the pulps.[1] He was well known for being able to take any household object that someone would suggest to him on a dare, and instantly generate a plot based around it. His byline was commonplace on pulp covers."
        seemed interesting.

Comment

Today I received Missing From His Home by J Russell Warren. I saw this book on eBay. There was only one photo and I did know the book didn't have a dustjacket. The book was in great shape as advertised. One interesting feature that I've never seen in a vintage hardback book before is the plot summary printed on the first page inside the book. Maybe that is something the Australian publisher, Andrew Melrose Ltd, did with their books. Maybe there never was a dustjacket? I can tell I'll love reading this book as much as I liked the first book by the author.

Cap
          Last edited by c marvel; 01-07-2018, 06:24 AM. Reason: To clarify my post.
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I own and have read Burks' Arkham House collection, and it was pretty good. Not sure I'd call him a "Master" of the form, though, nor arguably worth the MoTW price tag.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

My copy of Julia arrived yesterday. I wish there was a way to convey the quality of the paper used in this one. It’s outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by daverob View Post
                My copy of Julia arrived yesterday. I wish there was a way to convey the quality of the paper used in this one. It’s outstanding.
                It is! I tried to take pictures of it, but my photography skills are seriously lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  I own and have read Burks' Arkham House collection, and it was pretty good. Not sure I'd call him a "Master" of the form, though, nor arguably worth the MoTW price tag.
                  Thanks for the insight. I’m torn on picking up the MotWT volume. If they didn’t have two more volumes following so quickly behind...

Comment

It is! I tried to take pictures of it, but my photography skills are seriously lacking.
                    I really want to pick up this edition. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

Comment

It took me a while to get around to taking pictures, but here was my Christmas gift from my wife this year:

The Centipede Press edition of Peter Straub's Julia.

I had serious reservations that the book would live up to its rather steep price tag, but DEAR GOD, is this a good looking book! Centipede did an amazing job with this edition: from the cover art and binding, even the paper used on this thing is impressive. I've always had a sweet spot for this understated gem of a book in my heart, but now I'm happy to have this edition in my collection.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20379[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20380[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]20381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20382[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]20383[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20384[/ATTACH]
                      Man, you got me jealous with this one.

Comment

On Wednesday, I received Dead on Arrival-10 Great Fact Detective Cases from the Editors of Hillman Publications. This is a vintage paperback and each segment is a real-life true crime tale. The 10 Great Fact Detective Cases on the cover caught my eye when I first saw this book. I had no idea it was true crime, I thought it was a fiction collection. ~Cap
                        51Hxc0S5ELL.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                          On Wednesday, I received Dead on Arrival-10 Great Fact Detective Cases from the Editors of Hillman Publications. This is a vintage paperback and each segment is a real-life true crime tale. The 10 Great Fact Detective Cases on the cover caught my eye when I first saw this book. I had no idea it was true crime, I thought it was a fiction collection. ~Cap
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20390[/ATTACH]
                          That sounds very cool!

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I’m torn on picking up the MotWT volume. If they didn’t have two more volumes following so quickly behind...
                            I'm really looking forward to Centipede's edition of Arthur Machen's work.

Comment

Speaking of vintage paperbacks, I picked these items up from ebay. Very cool and super reasonable.
                              IMG_0816.jpgIMG_0815.jpgIMG_0817.jpg

Comment

These are my two latest purchases.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Stories by R. L. Stevenson from 1929. I'm unsure if the publisher is E P Dutton and Company or J M Dent & Sons Ltd. It's a mini hardback. I saw on eBay other new mini hardcovers of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. This one drew me in mainly because of the cool illustration of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde side by side on the inside.

Murder in the Blackout, a Tower Mystery, by J. Russell Warren from 1943. This is the US title for The Gas-Mask Murder. I kind of like the bat logo stamped over the A Tower Mystery.

I spent under $25 for these two books and I think they were well worth it!

Cap

Comment

Working...
                                X