Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jigertz View Post
    For the past few years I've been looking for the BE Trice limited of Clive Barker's Galilee. Copies are usually stupidly expensive, but my years of obsessive looking finally paid off, and I got a sealed copy at a lower price than I've ever seen it listed for. Once again obsessive searching pays off.
    Congratulations!

Comment

The thrill of the Hunt LOL!! Good Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by jigertz View Post
        For the past few years I've been looking for the BE Trice limited of Clive Barker's Galilee. Copies are usually stupidly expensive, but my years of obsessive looking finally paid off, and I got a sealed copy at a lower price than I've ever seen it listed for. Once again obsessive searching pays off.
        Sounds nice - posting any pics?
        Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

This is by no means horror-related, but it is one of my most recent purchases and I think it's pretty funny...

For those who may not know, the guy behind Grim Oak Press also runs a webstore called The Signed Page, which carries signed trade editions of SF&F titles.

Recently they added several titles to a "dinged edition" sale. As I am not one to pass up an opportunity for a cheap reading copy, I purchased a signed (but dinged) copy of the illustrated edition of Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Well the book arrived this week and, to my absolute surprise, it looks pristine. Not a dinged corner to be seen and the title has no dust jacket (as issued).

"Why is this a dinged copy?" I literally asked myself aloud.

Then I flipped to the signature page...

0511202138a.jpg

I don't know who Amanda is or why she never got her personalized copy, but this is definitely the most unique "dinged" copy I've ever received (outside of a secondhand market, of course)!

Comment

The weird thing about that is the personalization slots for Hobb are VERY limited. Kind of weird for someone to sign up for one and then never get their book.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
              This is by no means horror-related, but it is one of my most recent purchases and I think it's pretty funny...

For those who may not know, the guy behind Grim Oak Press also runs a webstore called The Signed Page, which carries signed trade editions of SF&F titles.

Recently they added several titles to a "dinged edition" sale. As I am not one to pass up an opportunity for a cheap reading copy, I purchased a signed (but dinged) copy of the illustrated edition of Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Well the book arrived this week and, to my absolute surprise, it looks pristine. Not a dinged corner to be seen and the title has no dust jacket (as issued).

"Why is this a dinged copy?" I literally asked myself aloud.

Then I flipped to the signature page...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22148[/ATTACH]

I don't know who Amanda is or why she never got her personalized copy, but this is definitely the most unique "dinged" copy I've ever received (outside of a secondhand market, of course)!
              I wonder if two were inscribed to the same person in error.

Comment

Today a book trade paid off quite well in my favor I think -

A book that I wanted to get - but never actively searched for it - was a first edition of Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. I had a really nice second printing of the book in hardcover, but wanted a first printing. A fellow book collector friend offered me his copy (and explained that even though the 1 is missing, the First Edition indicates it's a first printing - why is this so hard sometimes??)

I did swap the dust jackets though since mine was in pristine shape:
                IMG_1931.jpg IMG_1932.jpg

The other book that came in trade was a little Joe Lansdale printout - I hesitate to even call it chapbook because it's literally one piece of paper folded in half. A short story (for sure!) called In the Night:
                IMG_1929.jpg IMG_1930.jpg
                (Yes, you can read half of the story just in these two pictures . . .)

I swapped a PC copy of A Simple Plan that I got in some random grab bag from CD, and an extra copy of The Dark Tower Companion (from a CD book club I think?)

Comment

Not a book. So my car recently rolled over 200,000 miles and I started looking at how much money I needed to put into it and decided to look at what was available.

Decided on a 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. Took it for a drive up the gorge today and took a couple of photos at Stonehenge.
                  DSC_0054.jpgDSC_0057.jpg

Comment

That's a beauty. I drive a 2014 Avalon hybrid with 310,000 miles and my wife drives a 2015 Avalon hybrid with 110,000 miles. I plan on 500,000 miles. They drive fantastic and still gets 40 to the gallon.

Excellent choice. You will enjoy it.

Mulleins
                    I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Not a book. So my car recently rolled over 200,000 miles and I started looking at how much money I needed to put into it and decided to look at what was available.

Decided on a 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. Took it for a drive up the gorge today and took a couple of photos at Stonehenge.
                      Very nice car, Martin, enjoy it! I have a 2011 LS 460 that only has 66k miles on it. At the rate I'm going they'll be handing out Teslas with McDonald's Happy Meals before I hit 200k.

Comment

Originally posted by mulleins View Post
                        That's a beauty. I drive a 2014 Avalon hybrid with 310,000 miles and my wife drives a 2015 Avalon hybrid with 110,000 miles. I plan on 500,000 miles. They drive fantastic and still gets 40 to the gallon.

Excellent choice. You will enjoy it.

Mulleins
                        You guys drive more than I do. My last car was a 2007 Camry and as it rolled 200,000 miles it was really starting to need work some of which was going to be very expensive. ON my drive up the gorge today I got 48 Miles per gallon. The Camry would have done the trip at about 24 so that was great!

Comment

My wife's car is a 2001 Camry and it has just over 100,000 miles. I am actually giving that one to a niece we helped raise. She just turned 21 and is now learning how to drive and planning on getting her license when Oregon starts issuing them again. She grew up in that car and is excited to be getting it.

Comment

Congrats — nice-looking ride! Enjoy it, and safe travels.

Speaking of new rides, I may have something to crow about as well in a few days...just need to make a couple decisions to turn it from “may” to “will.”
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              Congrats — nice-looking ride! Enjoy it, and safe travels.

Speaking of new rides, I may have something to crow about as well in a few days...just need to make a couple decisions to turn it from “may” to “will.”
                              Cool! Hope it happens for you.

Comment

Nice car, Martin! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X