Page 206 of 209 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,120 of 4161

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Found a reasonable copy on ABE. Couldn't believe it, the book is just about Fine!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I received today The Night Doctor and Other Tales: Short Fiction by Steve Rasnic Tem and Blood Secrets by Craig Jones. Both are S/L copies.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Hearing Voices TacomaDiver's Avatar
    As promised - here are some pictures of how this project turned out.

I struggled with deciding on how to get it framed, but one Sunday afternoon I had a great idea - what if I framed the two paintings together just like they appeared in the book? So that's exactly what I did.
    IMG_1221-scaled.jpg

Here's the pages as they appear in the book:
    Attachment 21845

The two original paintings are floating in the frame to make the art pop a bit more, plus since none of the art is obscured, you can still see all of all the bits that were lost when they were printed in the book.

I tried to match the frame with the color of the book's cover - and I think I did a pretty good job of that, especially with the gold elements.
    IMG_1225-scaled.jpg

This project exceeded my expectations - I really love how this turned out and can't wait to begin hanging up all of my art in my office/den finally. It's only a been a year with bare walls afterall . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Back in May, I had the opportunity to grab the original artwork for the letter G painting of The Mouse Guard Alphabet - artwork by Serena Malyon. Each letter of the alphabet featured a painted "spot" illustration, and then a fully painted page of what the letter represented. A is for Aviary. B is for Black Axe, etc.

Here's a poster of all the letters (I grabbed one at ECCC in 2018 that I always forget I have):
    Attachment 21843

The G was cool because it's the initial of my last name, and I thought it would look really nice framed up.

It never got framed. Which might have been a good thing.

A couple of weeks ago, the accompanying full page page painting was offered for sale, but I had a hard time justifying the price. Well, the other day, the price was lowered quite significantly, and after working with the seller to negotiate even lower, I was able to purchase the painting!

So now I really need to get these two framed because I own the set.

G is for Guardmouse.
    Attachment 21844
    (The blue tape is just keeping the sleeve closed - it's not on the painting.)

And what it looks like in the book:
    Attachment 21845

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Looks very nice. Congrats!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Looks great!!

Senior Member Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    It turned out beautifully! The way you had them framed is perfect. Awesome!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    That's a gem!!!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Very nice — congrats!

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Turned out perfect, Jason! Congrats!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    As promised - here are some pictures of how this project turned out.

I struggled with deciding on how to get it framed, but one Sunday afternoon I had a great idea - what if I framed the two paintings together just like they appeared in the book? So that's exactly what I did.
    IMG_1221-scaled.jpg

Here's the pages as they appear in the book:
    Attachment 21845

The two original paintings are floating in the frame to make the art pop a bit more, plus since none of the art is obscured, you can still see all of all the bits that were lost when they were printed in the book.

I tried to match the frame with the color of the book's cover - and I think I did a pretty good job of that, especially with the gold elements.
    IMG_1225-scaled.jpg

This project exceeded my expectations - I really love how this turned out and can't wait to begin hanging up all of my art in my office/den finally. It's only a been a year with bare walls afterall . . .
    Where is the David Petersen & Serena Malyon image? I don't see how they fit in or maybe I should say what did you do with the David Petersen & Serena Malyon image? I guess I'm missing something Jason.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 02-14-2020 at 05:57 PM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Looks very nice. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Looks great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    It turned out beautifully! The way you had them framed is perfect. Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    That's a gem!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Very nice — congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Turned out perfect, Jason! Congrats!

Thanks everyone. I'm still amazed at how well it turned out.

Serena even replied to my IG post complimenting the framing and appreciating that they're in a good home. Also, when I purchased full the full page painting, I mentioned to the seller that I also owned the small one and promised to send a picture. Which I did, and she responded that the framing was "freaking awesome" and if she framed them that way, she would have never sold them.

Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Where is the David Petersen & Serena Malyon image? I don't see how they fit in or maybe I should say what did you do with the David Petersen & Serena Malyon image? I guess I'm missing something Jason.

Cap
    There are a few pictures in the post - the paintings are done by Serena Malyon (a mouseguard with sword, and the smaller mouse with G) and the words/poem are by David Petersen. The art is from an alphabet book, so the framing of the originals match the book.

without the pictures, none of it makes sense.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I agree with the sentiments expressed. Fantastic art with the perfect presentation. I know how important Mouse Guard is to you and am so glad you have been able to add this to your home!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I agree with the sentiments expressed. Fantastic art with the perfect presentation. I know how important Mouse Guard is to you and am so glad you have been able to add this to your home!
    Thank you! I appreciate that quite a bit.

Stumbled upon a collectible that I wasn't aware existed - a special Crazy Bricks LEGO Mouse Guard figurine - exclusive to BrickCon in 2015.

IMG_1277.jpg IMG_1278.jpg

And related - there is a new Kickstarter from Crazy Bricks for 13 (!!) custom LEGO figurines. I really wanted them, but it seemed a bit silly (dare I say, ridiculous?) to spend over $200 on these things, but my wife said "Do it!" and who am I to argue with the wife. Plus after seeing this little guy, I'm super excited to have the rest of them in my collection.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Stumbled upon a collectible that I wasn't aware existed - a special Crazy Bricks LEGO Mouse Guard figurine - exclusive to BrickCon in 2015.

And related - there is a new Kickstarter from Crazy Bricks for 13 (!!) custom LEGO figurines. I really wanted them, but it seemed a bit silly (dare I say, ridiculous?) to spend over $200 on these things, but my wife said "Do it!" and who am I to argue with the wife. Plus after seeing this little guy, I'm super excited to have the rest of them in my collection.
    Great find, congratulations!

I took a look at the Kickstarter and I agree with your wife. This is something that you would forever regret passing on.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I bought THE BEST OF ELIZABETH BEAR, Sub Press S/L HC, this morning from Amazon...it’s a book I’ve been giving a lot of thought to, and I happened to see today that Amazon had it for almost 40% off, so sprung for a copy. A bit of an impulse, but a relatively considered one. I have Prime, so it’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 02-23-2020 at 05:10 AM.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Cool stuff, Jason!

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I bought THE BEST OF ELIZABETH BEAR, Sub Press S/L HC, this morning from Amazon...it’s a book I’ve been giving a lot of thought to, and I happened to see today that Amazon had it for almost 40% off, so sprung for a copy. A bit of an impulse, but a relatively considered one. I have Prime, so it’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
    Not something I am familiar with.