Page 207 of 213 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,140 of 4246

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

  1. #4121
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I bought THE BEST OF ELIZABETH BEAR, Sub Press S/L HC, this morning from Amazon...itís a book Iíve been giving a lot of thought to, and I happened to see today that Amazon had it for almost 40% off, so sprung for a copy. A bit of an impulse, but a relatively considered one. I have Prime, so itís scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
    Ooh, you've inspired me! I was on the fence about that collection, but saving nearly 40% decides it.

  2. #4122
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,960
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Not something I am familiar with.
    I’m not very familiar with her work, either, but the sheer variety of the stories in this collection sounded intriguing and was distinctly less SF than some of Sub Press’ other BEST OF collections of SF masters, so thought I’d give her a try. Picked it up earlier today, and though as usual there was no packing material it arrived miraculously in pristine condition.

  3. #4123
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,663
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I’m not very familiar with her work, either, but the sheer variety of the stories in this collection sounded intriguing and was distinctly less SF than some of Sub Press’ other BEST OF collections of SF masters, so thought I’d give her a try. Picked it up earlier today, and though as usual there was no packing material it arrived miraculously in pristine condition.
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

  4. #4124
    Bela Lugosi's dead... Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    1,082
    Rep Power
    13
    I just got my copy of Ellison Under Glass, published by Charnel House. A beautiful book. I only went for the $200 version

    Ellison_Under_Glass_sm.jpg

  5. #4125
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,960
    Rep Power
    15
    Beautiful. I’m chagrined to say I don’t own any Charnel House Books. Almost picked up THE NEW NEIGHBOR back in the day, but never did. They did (do?) lovely books.

  6. #4126
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    York, SC
    Posts
    707
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Beautiful. I’m chagrined to say I don’t own any Charnel House Books. Almost picked up THE NEW NEIGHBOR back in the day, but never did. They did (do?) lovely books.
    I have that one. It's up on eBay pretty regularly for $100 to $150 if you still want to get it. Hell, a recent copy went for less than half that.

  7. #4127
    Devourer of Worlds Hearing Voices TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    1,099
    Rep Power
    11
    Yesterday, the mailman brought me CD's edition of A Head Full of Ghosts.

    This is my first book from their Graveyards line, and it's a beauty. I'm not normally a fan of this style of book (the Easton Press books are not attractive to me) but you know what, this thing is pretty nice looking. Completely different than SST's version, but still gorgeous in its own way. Great job CD!

    IMG_1327.jpg IMG_1328.jpg
    It's so shiny that it's difficult to get a good picture of (well, at least in my kitchen.)

    IMG_1329.jpg IMG_1330.jpg

    It's a really great looking book, especially for the price paid.

  8. #4128
    Child of the Corn 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,024
    Rep Power
    53
    Thinking Little (and Dan) had the last laugh here:


  9. #4129
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Thinking Little (and Dan) had the last laugh here:

    I came to say the same thing! A lot of fun right there.

    My boxes came as well. I ordered two of them and got the hardcover of CD Magazine's Joe Hill Special, Dog Days O' Summer, and the screenplays for Viva Las Vegas and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Excellent additions to my library!

  10. #4130
    Senior Member Get a Life, why don'tcha! bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    7,043
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Thinking Little (and Dan) had the last laugh here:

    This cracked me up. Well at least Jeff now can read one the the best Bentley Little short stories ever written

  11. #4131
    Administrator Lobotomized Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,085
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Thinking Little (and Dan) had the last laugh here:

    I wish I could say this was intentional, but I didn't touch these grab bags. Also I'm a nice guy and would've avoided Bentley for Jeff... lol
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  12. #4132
    Carrying the fire. 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    2,216
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    This cracked me up. Well at least Jeff now can read one the the best Bentley Little short stories ever written
    That actually makes me feel better about coming across Bentley Little in my house. I may actually read it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I wish I could say this was intentional, but I didn't touch these grab bags. Also I'm a nice guy and would've avoided Bentley for Jeff... lol
    I appreciate it, Dan! I knew the risks when I signed up. And it is a beautiful book.

  13. #4133
    Child of the Corn 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,024
    Rep Power
    53
    I think they are very nice for the price paid also and I'll be collecting all of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Yesterday, the mailman brought me CD's edition of A Head Full of Ghosts. This is my first book from their Graveyards line, and it's a beauty. I'm not normally a fan of this style of book (the Easton Press books are not attractive to me) but you know what, this thing is pretty nice looking. Completely different than SST's version, but still gorgeous in its own way. Great job CD! It's so shiny that it's difficult to get a good picture of (well, at least in my kitchen.) It's a really great looking book, especially for the price paid.

  14. #4134
    TPS Report Monitor 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,849
    Rep Power
    15
    Good story you should give it a try. Of course it is still written in his style which obviously isn't your cup of tea.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    That actually makes me feel better about coming across Bentley Little in my house. I may actually read it!



    I appreciate it, Dan! I knew the risks when I signed up. And it is a beautiful book.

  15. #4135
    Carrying the fire. 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    2,216
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Good story you should give it a try. Of course it is still written in his style which obviously isn't your cup of tea.
    I actually don't have a problem with his style. He's a good writer and easy to read. There's just no point to his stories. A writer who's style I can't STAND is CJ Tudor. She recently posted a teaser for her next book on her Twitter account and it featured a snippet of her writing that is exactly the stuff I HATE.

  16. #4136
    Carrying the fire. 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    2,216
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I actually don't have a problem with his style. He's a good writer and easy to read. There's just no point to his stories. A writer who's style I can't STAND is CJ Tudor. She recently posted a teaser for her next book on her Twitter account and it featured a snippet of her writing that is exactly the stuff I HATE.
    Hereís a pic of that tweet. 47938E49-F01B-4E5B-9F0B-0459F61B5088.jpg

  17. #4137
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I actually don't have a problem with his style. He's a good writer and easy to read. There's just no point to his stories. A writer who's style I can't STAND is CJ Tudor. She recently posted a teaser for her next book on her Twitter account and it featured a snippet of her writing that is exactly the stuff I HATE.
    Her style definitely took some getting used to in The Chalk Man. I wanted to love the book, but was disappointed by the end. It wasn't a bad book, by any means, but it managed to find an underwhelming answer to each plot thread.

  18. #4138
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,663
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Here’s a pic of that tweet. 47938E49-F01B-4E5B-9F0B-0459F61B5088.jpg
    As much as I hate to do it, I kind of have to agree with you on that tweet. I have read nothing from this author but that paragraph is painful.

  19. #4139
    Carrying the fire. 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    2,216
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    As much as I hate to do it, I kind of have to agree with you on that tweet. I have read nothing from this author but that paragraph is painful.
    I don't remember it being that bad while reading The Chalk Man. But it was unbearable reading The Hiding Place. The way she writes is annoying. Irritating. Infuriating. It burns my eyes with burning tears that burn. With flames. With painful heat. With scorching fury that sears and scalds and blisters. It's like she stumbles onto an idea and expresses that idea and then words it differently and then writes it with new words and then says the exact same thing again with additional words that all mean the same goddamned thing!

    Please, someone take the thesaurus away from her.

  20. #4140
    Carrying the fire. 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    2,216
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Splync View Post
    Her style definitely took some getting used to in The Chalk Man. I wanted to love the book, but was disappointed by the end. It wasn't a bad book, by any means, but it managed to find an underwhelming answer to each plot thread.
    I had the same reaction to The Chalk Man. I was not a hater by any means but I had no idea why that book was hyped the way it was. That's why I was foolish enough to get The Hiding Place and match my number for The Chalk Man. The Hiding Place was not only loaded with outrageously ludicrous plot twists, you had to hack through tangles of infuriating passages to get to them.

Similar Threads

  1. eBook Purchase/Download Help
    By Dan Hocker in forum eBook Projects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •