Page 167 of 199 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 3964

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I got About The Murder Of The Circus Queen by Anthony Abbott (A vintage paperback) and Hard Sentences: Crime Fiction Inspired by Alcatraz by David James Keaton-Editor and Joe Clifford-Editor. I usually like true crime paperbacks or graphic novels. I couldn't resist this fiction anthology.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I got About The Murder Of The Circus Queen by Anthony Abbott (A vintage paperback) and Hard Sentences: Crime Fiction Inspired by Alcatraz by David James Keaton-Editor and Joe Clifford-Editor. I usually like true crime paperbacks or graphic novels. I couldn't resist this fiction anthology.

Cap
    They both sound cool.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots...

It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:

H. F. Arnold
    Dennis Etchison
    Adam Corbin Fusco
    W. F. Harvey
    Arthur Machen
    George R. R. Martin
    Richard Matheson
    Michael Reaves
    Al Sarrantonio
    Clark Ashton Smith
    Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

I don't typically go for projects like this that border on the gimmicky, but based on pics I had seen and the list of authors selected I made an exception in this case and I'm extremely glad I did. The production values, the conceptual design and attention to detail, of this thing is off the chart for the price paid. The promotional material describe it thusly: *"Each handmade box features a matte-black finish, an iridescent colour-shifting foil stamp on top, and a magnetized lid. The booklets have debossed design details and are bound with brass staples." It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is, but it is at its core a work of mass-market art by a duo of publishing-design artists (https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/publisher/ ).

The box is about the size of a standard paperback:

Once open, there is a complementary design of the cover blocks underneath the lid, and a short note from Patton Oswalt, editor and comedian (and horror fiction fan), atop the chapbooks:

Small details like a cutout to lift up the chapbooks out of the box attest to the thoughtful quality imbued in this item:

Inside are eleven chapbooks, each and every one in my mind a winner...very much looking forward to reading both those I've read before and those I've not. In addition, a poem penned by Lovecraft is pasted on the bottom of the box, thus offering a total of twelve different works. From a collector and Matheson fan standpoint, I'm particularly thrilled to actually have a chapbook of Matheson's titular story from his debut collection:

The publisher's exemplary production qualities continue in the page design, generous margin spacing, and style and size of font selected, offering a comfortable reading experience:

All of this for just over $30, once the Canadian-to-US-dollar conversion is factored in. It's a deal at twice the price. If you want your own GHOST BOX, the page for it is here:

https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/store/the-ghost-box

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Unlike you, Ron, I'm definitely sold on gimmicky things. That's why I love William Castle! Well you just made a new customer for Hingston and Olsen. This looks great. I can't wait. Thanks for the heads up.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots...

It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:

H. F. Arnold
    Dennis Etchison
    Adam Corbin Fusco
    W. F. Harvey
    Arthur Machen
    George R. R. Martin
    Richard Matheson
    Michael Reaves
    Al Sarrantonio
    Clark Ashton Smith
    Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

I don't typically go for projects like this that border on the gimmicky, but based on pics I had seen and the list of authors selected I made an exception in this case and I'm extremely glad I did. The production values, the conceptual design and attention to detail, of this thing is off the chart for the price paid. The promotional material describe it thusly: *"Each handmade box features a matte-black finish, an iridescent colour-shifting foil stamp on top, and a magnetized lid. The booklets have debossed design details and are bound with brass staples." It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is, but it is at its core a work of mass-market art by a duo of publishing-design artists (https://www.hingstonandolsen.com/publisher/ ).

The box is about the size of a standard paperback:

Once open, there is a complementary design of the cover blocks underneath the lid, and a short note from Patton Oswalt, editor and comedian (and horror fiction fan), atop the chapbooks:

Small details like a cutout to lift up the chapbooks out of the box attest to the thoughtful quality imbued in this item:

Inside are eleven chapbooks, each and every one in my mind a winner...very much looking forward to reading both those I've read before and those I've not. In addition, a poem penned by Lovecraft is pasted on the bottom of the box, thus offering a total of twelve different works. From a collector and Matheson fan standpoint, I'm particularly thrilled to actually have a chapbook of Matheson's titular story from his debut collection:

The publisher's exemplary production qualities continue in the page design, generous margin spacing, and style and size of font selected, offering a comfortable reading experience:

All of this for just over $30, once the Canadian-to-US-dollar conversion is factored in. It's a deal at twice the price. If you want your own GHOST BOX, the page for it is here:

That is fantastic!

Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    That is really sweet, Ron. Thanks for the pics!
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Very nice, thanks for sharing the ordering info as well!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    They both sound cool.
    I made a boo boo with my post. What I should have said is I like crime fiction trade paperbacks. True crime graphic novels/trade paperbacks or hard to find. I only have one-Green River Killer: A True Detective Story by Jeff Jensen and Jonathan Case. I have seen vintage true crime paperbacks on eBay-Have yet to buy one.

Cap

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication

Thanks, those look awesome! I just ordered it

I made a boo boo with my post. What I should have said is I like crime fiction trade paperbacks. True crime graphic novels/trade paperbacks or hard to find. I only have one-Green River Killer: A True Detective Story by Jeff Jensen and Jonathan Case. I have seen vintage true crime paperbacks on eBay-Have yet to buy one.

Cap
    I'm not familiar with many, if any, true crime graphic novels. Though if an interesting one came along I'd be all over it. I'm a huge fan of Brubaker/Phillips's Criminal series. I also quite like David Lapham's Stray Bullets.

The only true crime novel I've read was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Very stirring.

Theli and Dave: Glad I could help, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Happy reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I'm not familiar with many, if any, true crime graphic novels. Though if an interesting one came along I'd be all over it. I'm a huge fan of Brubaker/Phillips's Criminal series. I also quite like David Lapham's Stray Bullets.

The only true crime novel I've read was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Very stirring.
    Torso by Brian Michael Bendis appears to fit the bill. I did see on eBay last evening at least one other true crime graphic novel. Don't recall the title right now. ~Cap

It is neither signed nor numbered and I've no idea what the limitation is,
    An update to this: My curiousity got the best of me and I emailed them to try and find out the limitation...for those interested, this is what I was told: "We printed 2,000 copies, but it is a one-time print run, so once these copies are gone, there won’t ever be any new ones made."

So there you go: 2000 limitation. More than I would have anticipated, given that the box is touted as "handmade," but probably helps account for the modest price, since as we all know volume drives down costs.

Torso by Brian Michael Bendis appears to fit the bill. I did see on eBay last evening at least one other true crime graphic novel. Don't recall the title right now. ~Cap
    I was vaguely aware of this one, though I didn't know it was true crime. I may need to look into it.

An update to this: My curiousity got the best of me and I emailed them to try and find out the limitation...for those interested, this is what I was told: "We printed 2,000 copies, but it is a one-time print run, so once these copies are gone, there won’t ever be any new ones made."

So there you go: 2000 limitation. More than I would have anticipated, given that the box is touted as "handmade," but probably helps account for the modest price, since as we all know volume drives down costs.
    Thanks for the info. I agree 2000 seems more than I thought it would be, but I'm okay with that. I'm buying it for the product not the limitation. The price is more than fair.

Maybe by handmade they mean they just folded it into shape, like working in a box factory!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Okay, here's a recent acquisition that is deserving of a number of shots... It's called GHOST BOX, and is a collection of single-story chapbooks of individualized cover design by authors both classic and contemporary:
    That is really cool, Ron!

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I was vaguely aware of this one, though I didn't know it was true crime. I may need to look into it.

Thanks for the info. I agree 2000 seems more than I thought it would be, but I'm okay with that. I'm buying it for the product not the limitation. The price is more than fair.

Maybe by handmade they mean they just folded it into shape, like working in a box factory!
    Tonight I took a closer look at Torso by Brian Michael Bendis. While it does have some elements of true crime and is advertised as a true crime graphic novel--It technically (IMO) is not a true crime graphic novel. If you would look Theli, I'd welcome your opinion.
    Union Station by Ande Parks and Eduardo Barreto is the real deal and is now on my to buy list.

Cap

I did purchase Union Station by Ande Parks and Eduardo Barreto. I got a super deal! I stumbled across some Gold Medal paperbacks billed as true crime. They are about classic murder trials. See the image I've included of one cover. ~Cap gmtc1.jpg

Fantastic cover art.

As a Gold Medal fan, I was going to suggest these true crime/trial editions, but didn't know how easy they would be to find. Glad you picked one up, and hope you enjoy it.

There's a book store near me that is just loaded with old vintage PBs. Unfortunately not too much in the horror vein (though lots of the Zebra era). Might need to scour for some of these too. Always fun digging up old gems.