Page 173 of 202 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 4039

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Some would probably say odd that my main focus isn't King but my interest just doesn't lie there for the moment.
    Probably only those at TDT.org, for the most part...in general, most horror-fiction fans I know are much more diverse in their reading likes and collecting preferences. It seems like only the very casual reader on the street for whom "horror" means "King" and only "King" and the hardfast TDT King fantatic see King in that way. The other other half+ of us see King as only one option of many and put King, to be frank, way down the line. For me, since 1990 I've only really liked four* of his full-length novels -- in 27 years, four novels -- so that's not a particulary good average; in fact, there are a number of them I haven't even tried to read as they simply don't appeal to me, and disappointing reviews I've read of them don't suggest my instincts are wrong. I won't go so far as to say that King is overrated as I get why some folks really like his work, but for me and others like me he is definitely not the focus of our horror reading.

So wear your non-King focus with pride, Brian...you're in good company.

* In case anyone cares, they are THE GREEN MILE, UNDER THE DOME (probably the least of the four), 11/22/63, and JOYLAND.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post

* In case anyone cares, they are THE GREEN MILE, UNDER THE DOME (probably the least of the four), 11/22/63, and JOYLAND.

I'm curious to know which ones you've passed on. I'd add Cell, Gerald's Game, Lisey's Story, DT IV, and Wind Through The Keyhole to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I'm curious to know which ones you've passed on. I'd add Cell, Gerald's Game, Lisey's Story, DT IV, and Wind Through The Keyhole to that list.
    I passed on THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, the various Dark Tower volumes (though I do plan on revisiting this entire saga and re-reading it (read the first three volumes back in the day)), BLACK HOUSE, CELL, FROM A BUICK 8, LISEY'S STORY, MR. MERCEDES (and the other two installments of the trilogy), and REVIVAL. All the others I've read, though a few went unfinished. The only four I came away with a very positive attitude about were the four listed above.

I passed on THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, the various Dark Tower volumes (though I do plan on revisiting this entire saga and re-reading it (read the first three volumes back in the day)), BLACK HOUSE, CELL, FROM A BUICK 8, LISEY'S STORY, MR. MERCEDES (and the other two installments of the trilogy), and REVIVAL. All the others I've read, though a few went unfinished. The only four I came away with a very positive attitude about were the four listed above.
    I wish I would have passed on Revival. That book just made me angry. I never hated a King book before. I've liked some more than others, but I never hated any.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Probably only those at TDT.org, for the most part...in general, most horror-fiction fans I know are much more diverse in their reading likes and collecting preferences. It seems like only the very casual reader on the street for whom "horror" means "King" and only "King" and the hardfast TDT King fantatic see King in that way. The other other half+ of us see King as only one option of many and put King, to be frank, way down the line. For me, since 1990 I've only really liked four* of his full-length novels -- in 27 years, four novels -- so that's not a particulary good average; in fact, there are a number of them I haven't even tried to read as they simply don't appeal to me, and disappointing reviews I've read of them don't suggest my instincts are wrong. I won't go so far as to say that King is overrated as I get why some folks really like his work, but for me and others like me he is definitely not the focus of our horror reading.

So wear your non-King focus with pride, Brian...you're in good company.

Very good point, Ron about TDT.org and fans. Plus you can collect a lot of more things with the same money that one S/L King item would cost you. For me personally, expense is a major contributing factor when it comes to collecting King. Outside of your run of the mill trades of course.

I never really considered King the King of Horror either. Most of his writings aren't horror based at all but more supernatural or ordinary people in extraordinary situations.

I agree with the four novels you listed, Ron but I'd replace Under the Dome with Duma Key. Duma Key, IMO, is the best novel King has written post Double Day/Viking years. I listen to Joyland on CD and loved that story as well. Again, a who done it with a supernatural element. I read the Bill Hodges trilogy but Mr. Mercedes was by far the best in the series. And Revival, ugh, don't get me started on that one. Lots of folks rave about that novel but I think that's probably my least favorite King novel to date. I only really liked book 2 and 4 in the TDT series.

Finished up listening to The Talisman awhile back and wasn't a huge fan of it. Currently listening to Black House and liking it better. I just don't make time to read anymore so listening is best for me.

King's new novel forthcoming, The Outsider, looks like it might be right up my alley though.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I really enjoyed early King, 'Salems Lot is my favorite, I think it's a classic. The Stand, Dead Zone, Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, He writes so much good Short fiction, Cycle of The Werewolf, Wow, Just love that one. Recently, I liked Joyland a bunch. I tend to avoid most of his Tomes, just don't have the time. I pretty much cherry pick what I collect of his, not a completest at all, too much other interesting stuff out there.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Daninsky's Avatar
    This year's End of the Year coup for me. The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein deluxe edition from Centipede. Quarter bound in crimson Chieftain goatskin with vellum panels. Accompanying suite of all illustrations as full-color prints, each individually signed by Harry O Morris. Limited to fifteen copies.

003.jpg
    015.jpg
    022.jpg
    026.jpg
    032.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I'd replace Under the Dome with Duma Key. Duma Key, IMO, is the best novel King has written post Double Day/Viking years.
    I've tried twice to get into DUMA KEY...I make it about 100 pages in and then find my interest in it gone. No idea why...a lot of folks seem to love this book. Maybe someday I'll give it a third shot.

Daninsky: Wow, outstanding -- congrats on the coup...very, very nice!

I love colored page ends. I wish more publishers would do this. Not sure how much more it adds to the expense on both ends though.

Daninsky, way to finish the year strong LOL!!!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I found on eBay (at a better price than Amazon) Japan's War With China, 1937-1945: The Struggle For Survival by Rana Mitter. It's fairly lengthy book, 480 pages. I knew about the beginnings of this conflict of course. I didn't know the whole history. I've looked for a complete, thorough history of this conflict now and than, it's just one of those subjects where it's difficult to find a good, complete history.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 12-16-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

It is interesting reading. I learned a lot from Charles G. Finney's fantastic book Old China Hands 1961 about his time in China with the US Army's 15th Infantry Regiment (Can Do!) 1927-29. Finney is best known as the author of The Circus of Dr Lao. It's very clear that he was hugely impacted by his time in China, a country rocked by conflict for many, many years.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Outstanding Daninsky!

It's all Jeff's fault...he finally wore me down. I will of course sue for financial compensation and emotional distress if it's not every bit as good as he claims it is:

Looks like a good production.

It's all Jeff's fault...he finally wore me down. I will of course sue for financial compensation and emotional distress if it's not every bit as good as he claims it is:

I play the long game! Happy to wear you down. Even happier if you like the book as much as I did.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Very nice! I too have a copy, but it's being held at Camelot Books until other books are set to ship.

"Hello, Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe...? Yeah, I need to speak to someone about kind of an odd but very necessary lawsuit I'd like to file..."

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    "Hello, Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe...? Yeah, I need to speak to someone about kind of an odd but very necessary lawsuit I'd like to file..."
    Made me miss Car Talk! Did you not like Goblin or just expected more? I have Bird Box and plan to give that a read before deciding on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Made me miss Car Talk! Did you not like Goblin or just expected more? I have Bird Box and plan to give that a read before deciding on this one.
    No, didn't care for it at all. The writing read to me as if tone-deaf to the way real people act and, primarily, speak. It felt strikingly immature in both authorial skill and experience...I have a feeling this was early, early work, and were he to have sought my advice I would have suggested it stay in the proverbial trunk. Notably, I didn't pick up this raw, unpolished voice in the other work of his I've read (and enjoyed), A HOUSE AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE, which leads me to again think this was an early work. I sure was excited to enjoy this one as much as Jeff, but it just didn't happen for me.