Page 156 of 202 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 4039

Thread: Post Your Latest Purchase

  1. #3101
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    I think Bugen had been discussing some lately. And I could be wrong, but I thought a few other titles have popped up. It's an interesting theme and setting for a novel, implying all sorts of intrigue, trickery, illusion, moral ambiguity and colour. I too have been discussing it a bit with a friend of mine actually, comparing Laymon's The Traveling Vampire Show and Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.

  2. #3102
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    710
    Rep Power
    7
    This is going slightly off topic. I've been interested in carnivals for 3-4 years now. I finally found an online resource that has the names of carnival companies. Usually their name ends with amusement company. Even with the list I found I still had little luck figuring out where carnivals were. A second question was-Do they still exist independent of state fairs? Yes-they do! Where I grew up, a small carnival showed up on the edge of the high school grounds one day and I remember it vividly. I wish I could learn the name of that little carnival. I doubt I'll ever find that info.


    Cap (AKA Steve)
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  3. #3103
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,023
    Rep Power
    25
    Here in the Portland Oregon area is a group called Funtastic Shows (http://funtasticshows.com/). They are based at an old Drive-in that I went to as a youth. They pop up in parking lots of strip malls in the Portland/Vancouver area. They do some church functions (Octoberfest etc.) and usually set up for between three days and a week. The strip mall set-up always intrigues me. I have stopped and walked the grounds when I spot them. They always seem to be busy.

    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    This is going slightly off topic. I've been interested in carnivals for 3-4 years now. I finally found an online resource that has the names of carnival companies. Usually their name ends with amusement company. Even with the list I found I still had little luck figuring out where carnivals were. A second question was-Do they still exist independent of state fairs? Yes-they do! Where I grew up, a small carnival showed up on the edge of the high school grounds one day and I remember it vividly. I wish I could learn the name of that little carnival. I doubt I'll ever find that info.


    Cap (AKA Steve)

  4. #3104
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    This is going slightly off topic. I've been interested in carnivals for 3-4 years now. I finally found an online resource that has the names of carnival companies. Usually their name ends with amusement company. Even with the list I found I still had little luck figuring out where carnivals were. A second question was-Do they still exist independent of state fairs? Yes-they do! Where I grew up, a small carnival showed up on the edge of the high school grounds one day and I remember it vividly. I wish I could learn the name of that little carnival. I doubt I'll ever find that info.


    Cap (AKA Steve)
    We have a pretty big one here called The Red River Ex every year, though I've actually never been. Other than that there's a couple smaller ones that blow through town and last for a few days each summer. Not really sure if they are a fair or a carnival, or what the specific difference would be. Been to a few of those in my time.

    Coincidentally I just read an article about a self published street person who wrote a book about being a squeegee kid, and another about drug addiction and his newest one coming out is an anthology about his time as a carny over the last 25+ years. The article is below. I'm thinking I might try to track down his books.

    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...gv0m&ocid=iehp

  5. #3105
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    710
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    We have a pretty big one here called The Red River Ex every year, though I've actually never been. Other than that there's a couple smaller ones that blow through town and last for a few days each summer. Not really sure if they are a fair or a carnival, or what the specific difference would be. Been to a few of those in my time.

    Coincidentally I just read an article about a self published street person who wrote a book about being a squeegee kid, and another about drug addiction and his newest one coming out is an anthology about his time as a carny over the last 25+ years. The article is below. I'm thinking I might try to track down his books.

    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...gv0m&ocid=iehp
    Interesting. Thanks for the link Theli.



    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  6. #3106
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I think Bugen had been discussing some lately. And I could be wrong, but I thought a few other titles have popped up. It's an interesting theme and setting for a novel, implying all sorts of intrigue, trickery, illusion, moral ambiguity and colour. I too have been discussing it a bit with a friend of mine actually, comparing Laymon's The Traveling Vampire Show and Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.
    You're right, a number of them have come up pretty recently. Something Wicked This Way Comes, Nightmare Alley, Blind Voices, The Circus of Dr. Lao, and even Batman's The Killing Joke.. It wasn't actually on purpose, but these carnival-related stories do have a unique kind of energy, mayhem and mystique that helps catapult them up the ranks.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  7. #3107
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    9
    Finally got one:

    SAM_9956.jpg
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  8. #3108
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Nice grab! I go back and forth on these PS anniversary editions. I do like that they are signed and a relatively reasonable price. And they have hired some good artists, especially McKean's art for Night Shift. But the binding quality, like with most PS books, is average at best. And their practice of multiple dust jackets is pretty disgusting to be honest, just strikes me as a way to leech money from collectors with the least amount of effort.

  9. #3109
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,629
    Rep Power
    54
    Virginia puts out a pamphlet that lists most of the traveling Carnivals that are schedule to visit the state. When I was a kid, it seemed there was always a "shopping Center" carnival setting up somewhere. Loved the excitment!

  10. #3110
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Virginia puts out a pamphlet that lists most of the traveling Carnivals that are schedule to visit the state. When I was a kid, it seemed there was always a "shopping Center" carnival setting up somewhere. Loved the excitment!
    Yeah that's normally where you find them around here. Or by community centres. Always fun. Maybe I'll try to track some down this year, and/or finally visit our big one; The Red River Ex.

  11. #3111
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Nice grab! I go back and forth on these PS anniversary editions. I do like that they are signed and a relatively reasonable price. And they have hired some good artists, especially McKean's art for Night Shift. But the binding quality, like with most PS books, is average at best. And their practice of multiple dust jackets is pretty disgusting to be honest, just strikes me as a way to leech money from collectors with the least amount of effort.
    I've got to agree with you on the multiple dust jacket thing--don't like that practice at all, though it does seem pretty rare. Personally I ended up with a Skeleton Crew variant that's not as much to my liking as the original, but I'll never buy two copies of a book because of that. Those kinds of things I'll just add in to what I know about a company and it'll inevitably have an effect down the line.

    Christine is, thankfully, smyth-sewn and not just glued, so it should be one of those that lasts. It seems many (most?) of their releases inexplicably skimp on this, and glued bindings aren't cool for collectible books. I'm OK with the art printed directly on glossed boards even if I'd prefer cloth or leather, and their paper quality seems on par with many other specialty presses. The glued vs. sewn binding really is a problem, though.

    Bizarrely, it's the cover art that kept this edition on my mind.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  12. #3112
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,648
    Rep Power
    14
    I mentioned a while back that one of my favorite used bookstores in the Seattle area (probably THE favorite, given that while I like visiting U Books and Third Place, I don't often come away with much from those two) -- the Half-Price Book store in the University District -- was closing down in late March / early April. Note: For those in the area, this is the two-story HPB on Roosevelt.

    I went there for the last time today -- this weekend is its last two days.

    I've been going to this store for what must be over two decades, so it's a closure that hits close to home. As mentioned above, it's my favorite bookstore in the area, and book browsing is just not going to be the same anymore. Yes, there are other HPB stores in the area, but not like this two-story wonderland of creaky floors and endless shelves of books. It's no Powell's, but it's the closest thing we have around here in the Seattle area.

    Anyway, I picked up a souvenir to remember my good times there...figured it couldn't hurt to ask, and the kind gentleman granted my request which he thought was "pretty cool." Measuring about 24" x 12", it hung over the area where I, no surprise, spent much of my time. For those not familar with HPB, they have such hangings signs over every different shelved genre (e.g. Mystery, Romance, Science Fiction, etc.)...now it hangs over a doorway in an alcove area in my library/office:

    hpbsign.jpg

  13. #3113
    Senior Member Hearing Voices bugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    9
    Love that! Wonderful souvenir.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

    https://bugensbooks.com/

  14. #3114
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Very cool!

  15. #3115
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,648
    Rep Power
    14
    Thanks, guys...I'm pretty pleased to have it, as you might imagine. It's valueless, of course, but has emotional worth to me that's boundless.

  16. #3116
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,153
    Rep Power
    14
    Outstanding! Great souvenir.

  17. #3117
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,847
    Rep Power
    13
    So awesome. An artifact from a time when people didn't live online. A reminder and a warning that people will never live online. That's it's about places and spaces and the mingling of energies kicked up but human contact. More than a souvenir, it's a touchstone.

  18. #3118
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,629
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Thanks, guys...I'm pretty pleased to have it, as you might imagine. It's valueless, of course, but has emotional worth to me that's boundless.
    Ron. I think the term you're looking for is Priceless LOL!!

  19. #3119
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Very cool, Ron!

  20. #3120
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    710
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    You can get some nice Heritage Press books for relatively cheap. I'm not familiar with that particular book though. Still need to read some Henry James.
    I should have looked closer at Daisy Miller by Henry James. It is definitely not what I would normally read. The long Introduction, to me, is a chore to read. I'm just glad this is a really short book and it was very cheap.


    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Similar Threads

  1. eBook Purchase/Download Help
    By Dan Hocker in forum eBook Projects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •