Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I found a box of Euphemia for sale on ebay. Old catalogs and Flyers from Donald Grant, LW Curry and other small presses haven’t started going through them yet. This is the only place I can share this and not have people say WHAT!! LOL. I think I will frame some of the cooler flyers later on, so much neat information. Most are from the 70’s-early 80’s. I’ll post some more if Y’all are interested.

Yeah, this kind of stuff is right in my wheelhouse! We'd love to see more photos!

Comment

OK guys, I’m going to start posting some of the catalogs. The collection represents four decades of catalogs and ephemera, starting with Fall/Winter 1963 all from the F and S.J. Book Company of Staten Island NY, interestingly some of the catalogs don’t have zip codes. The second catalog is from summer 1964, next Fall 1964, Summer 1965 and finally Winter 1965/66. I can just imagine somebody sitting down to draw the covers, after spending hours at the typewriter. WOW!
      Fall Winter 1963.jpg
      FW 1963.jpg
      Fall 1964.jpg
      picture 1964 A.jpg
      Fall 1964.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mhatchett; 06-07-2019, 12:12 AM.

Comment

summer 65 picture.jpg
        winter 65-66.jpg
        winter fall 65 66 picture.jpg

Comment

These are even more wonderful than I expected! There can't be many of the ones from the 1960s still in existence. I love this kind of ephemera!
          Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 06-07-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Not really a purchase but we have a beautiful two page letter from Harlan Ellison he sent us shortly after his 80th birthday which includes hand corrected mistakes. In the letter, he thanks us for our friendship (and favors) and writes we were one of the few he wanted to thank for his birthday acknowledgement.

Yes, we miss him. Harlan was always very kind to us.

Jim

Comment

Letters, paper sales flyers and mimeographed newsletters /fanzines , and other similar ephemera are becoming increasingly scarce in this age of emails and digital marketing...too bad future generations won’t have this kind of treasure trove from our era to revisit and preserve.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Letters, paper sales flyers and mimeographed newsletters /fanzines , and other similar ephemera are becoming increasingly scarce in this age of emails and digital marketing...too bad future generations won’t have this kind of treasure trove from our era to revisit and preserve.
                I believe I saved every Donald Grant flyer that I got with my purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                  These are even more wonderful than I expected! There can't be many of these ones from the 1960s still in existence. I love this kind of ephemera!
                  Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Jargendeli View Post
                    Not really a purchase but we have a beautiful two page letter from Harlan Ellison he sent us shortly after his 80th birthday which includes hand corrected mistakes. In the letter, he thanks us for our friendship (and favors) and writes we were one of the few he wanted to thank for his birthday acknowledgement.

Yes, we miss him. Harlan was always very kind to us.

Jim
                    That is something to cherish!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                      I believe I saved every Donald Grant flyer that I got with my purchases.
                      I do not still have everything I received but I believe I still have several of the old Cemetery Dance newsletter they used to send out.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        I do not still have everything I received but I believe I still have several of the old Cemetery Dance newsletter they used to send out.
                        thats super cool

Comment

The Forgotten Squadron: The 449th Fighter Squadron in World War II by Daniel Jackson. This World War II military history book is trippy. The features: Nice marbled endpapers, high resolution photos printed directly onto the inside sides (left front and right back) of the book plus the dustjacket's description of the book with the photos. In the middle of the book I found a huge bookmark from Schiffer Publishing Ltd. I got it from hamiltonbook.com I was curious why the lowest price was $29.95 + tax + shipping from hamiltonbook.com Now I know why. I'd been looking for a history of the Flying Tigers that was not a 300 + page book. While not a complete history of the Flying Tigers The Forgotten Squadron: The 449th Fighter Squadron in World War II may be adequate. I purchased a $5.99 DVD-R documentary on eBay supposedly about the Flying Tigers. That DVD-R was a disappointment.

Cap
                          Last edited by c marvel; 06-07-2019, 08:58 PM.
                          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I purchased By No Mortal Hand by Daniel McGachey. The cover art is really beautiful. I read that By No Mortal Hand is a fine example of Jamesian ghostly fiction and I thought what is Jamesian ghostly fiction? I know now. I did read the author's collection from Dark Regions Press - They That Dwell In Dark Places and loved that book. Below is the cover to By No Mortal Hand. ~Cap
                            174--65-mcgachey_by_no_mortal_hand.jpg
                            Last edited by c marvel; 06-28-2019, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                              I purchased By No Mortal Hand by Daniel McGachey. The cover art is really beautiful. I read that By No Mortal Hand is a fine example of Jamesian ghostly fiction and I thought what is Jamesian ghostly fiction? I know now. I did read the author's collection from Dark Regions Press - They That Dwell In Dark Places and loved that book. Below is the cover to By No Mortal Hand. ~Cap
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]21576[/ATTACH]
                              I'm assuming M.R. James??

Comment

You got it. Give that man a prize! ~Cap
                                Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                                I'm assuming M.R. James??

Comment

Working...
                                X