Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: WTB: Scalziís OLD MANíS WAR, Subterranean S/L HC

  1. #1
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,640
    Rep Power
    14

    WTB: Scalziís OLD MANíS WAR, Subterranean S/L HC

    Iíve decided to hop aboard the John Scalzi train with the one...anyone have a copy theyíd like to sell?

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,626
    Rep Power
    54
    Ron, I pieced together a set, but it took a number of years and a couple of them have minor imperfections. The prices on the first two or three are pretty insane. Good luck on your quest!
    20191205_104401.jpg

  3. #3
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,640
    Rep Power
    14
    Thanks, Mike…that’s a lovely set, congrats on completing it. I’m probably hopping on board the train a little too late to make this venture economically feasible, but I thought I’d at least give it a shot. We’ll see what happens.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,011
    Rep Power
    25
    Best of luck Ron. I have checked them out and found these titles to be cost prohibitive for me. It is a great series though. Netflix owns the rights. If they get this one out it may drive prices higher, so now may be a good time to jump in.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,640
    Rep Power
    14
    I think my problem is that I’m often a little too quick to dismiss the science-fiction offerings from Subterranean Press and others. I’m not a big fan of the genre but there are some works and elements of it in general that I do enjoy. While thumbing through a copy of OLD MAN’S WAR yesterday, I found that it had heart, humor, action, issues of morality without taking itself too seriously...all the things that make a SF piece work for me.

    I need to stop having such a knee-jerk reaction to modern sci-fi, I think.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,011
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I think my problem is that I’m often a little too quick to dismiss the science-fiction offerings from Subterranean Press and others. I’m not a big fan of the genre but there are some works and elements of it in general that I do enjoy. While thumbing through a copy of OLD MAN’S WAR yesterday, I found that it had heart, humor, action, issues of morality without taking itself too seriously...all the things that make a SF piece work for me.

    I need to stop having such a knee-jerk reaction to modern sci-fi, I think.
    Over the last three years I have devoured everything Scalzi has written. I have never really cared from SF but love Scalzi's work. I have tried other SF hoping to find more I like. I have some to the conclusion that I like Scalzi, not SF.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,640
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Over the last three years I have devoured everything Scalzi has written. I have never really cared from SF but love Scalzi's work. I have tried other SF hoping to find more I like. I have some to the conclusion that I like Scalzi, not SF.
    That's good to hear. That's kind of the vibe I've received from reading some of his columns (collected by Sub Press) and AGENT TO THE STARS. I thought OLD MAN'S WAR was too hard a sci-fi flavor for me, but yesterday's browsing through a copy suggested that's not the case at all.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,011
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    That's good to hear. That's kind of the vibe I've received from reading some of his columns (collected by Sub Press) and AGENT TO THE STARS. I thought OLD MAN'S WAR was too hard a sci-fi flavor for me, but yesterday's browsing through a copy suggested that's not the case at all.
    I really enjoyed the Old Man's War series. I really engaged with the characters and the books continued to address their lives. It occasionally went off the rails but overall is a great series. Agent to the Stars was a fun read. I really enjoy the fact he takes premises in completely different directions than I expect them to go. He is great at writing dialog which helps me identify with his characters. I did not really care for God's Engines or Miniatures. The rest of his books have been fun reads. That is from someone who just can't get into SF from other authors.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •