No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A shot of what I've bought and what I'm reading. Red Sister signed. Anthony Ryan's The Walking Fire, about 3/4 through and I'm enjoying it. I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I collect Martial Arts books, particularly vintage Martial Arts books/magazines. I added this nice little pamphlet by Dan Bucceroni who worked out with Sonny Liston. I have some Martial Arts books from the 1920's and 30's that I'll get around to posting one day if anyone is interested. Have a great weekend all!
    IMG_0743.jpg
    Last edited by mhatchett; 04-30-2017, 12:18 AM.

Comment

My three most recent acquisitions, all of which I was absolutely thrilled to obtain for a very good price. The stories are great, the production value is great, the publisher is great. My only gripe is that I still need to find the remaining two in the series. Here are three of the five lettered editions of Thunderstorm Books' gorgeous production of the late JF Gonzalez's Dark Worlds series.
      Attached Files

Comment

Just read the Centipede newsletter. Anyone else waiting for The Circus of Dr Lao? I can hardly wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Daninsky View Post
          My three most recent acquisitions, all of which I was absolutely thrilled to obtain for a very good price. The stories are great, the production value is great, the publisher is great. My only gripe is that I still need to find the remaining two in the series. Here are three of the five lettered editions of Thunderstorm Books' gorgeous production of the late JF Gonzalez's Dark Worlds series.
          Those look fantastic. Good luck finding the others.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
            Just read the Centipede newsletter. Anyone else waiting for The Circus of Dr Lao? I can hardly wait.
            Although it intrigues me I am passing.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Although it intrigues me I am passing.
              Agreed. I've been aware of this novel for a long time, but have always given it a pass. If I didn't buy it for a couple bucks in used pb, then my realistic desire to read it is clearly minimal. I'm a Centipede fanboy, but even I have to draw the line at releases where the cost just doesn't support my self-admitted lack of interest. Like all Centipede editions, it looks finely done and aesthetically interesting, but as Martin says, "intriguing" just isn't enough.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

It's true, we can't buy everything, Finney has always been a favorite and I'm looking forward to having the additional short stories in one volume. Finney's Old China Hands is a great book about the Regular Army in China during the 1920s. Such an interesting life.

Comment

Mike, I'd love to see some of your old martial arts publications if/when you get the chance. It's interesting that Eastern martial arts even had a rather large impact in Western society even in the 20's and 30's (and before).

Comment

Originally posted by Daninsky View Post
                    Those editions are so nice! And incredibly hard to come by. I think I've only seen them up for sale once and I got quickly out bid on them. Congratulations on the acquisitions and good luck finding the remaining books!

Comment

So neither one of these are books, but they are new acquisitions!

The first is this fun little Funko Pop! figure. I'm a big Firestorm fan so I couldn't pass this guy up when I stumbled upon him. I almost went with the White Lantern version as well, but thought better of it.

IMG_0353.jpg

I've been wanting a new TV since I had my surround sound installed a while back and we finally broke down and got one. We settled upon a Sony Bravia 75" 4K television. I've always been a sucker for Sony's picture quality (I think Samsung's is brighter, but Sony's is richer) and this one doesn't disappoint. Now if I could just convince my wife to let me upgrade my blu-ray player to the Oppo Region Free I've had my eye on...

IMG_0355.jpg

Comment

Following Sock Monkey's lead w/ non-book-related acquisitions...

I haven't bought many books of late -- none worth crowing about in this thread, anyhow. Nothing's really come up on my radar and I've been trying to cut back on my bookbuying as well, due to a new motorcycle, kids getting ready to head off to college, senior prom expenses, upcoming summer travel, etc. etc....seems like it's always something lately.

But I'll post a cool, new acquisition that I received a couple weeks ago: a new seat for my new '16 Yamaha FJR1300.

Before:

After:

The wider, dished-out portion and tank hump fits very well, very comfy (and when the ol' behind is happy, then the rest of me is happy), and the flat slope of the stock seat that was creating an almost constant push against the handlebars to stop from sliding forward is now gone...if this was the only thing the seat did, that alone would make the seat worth it. I think it looks great as well...the lines and styling of the seat complement the styling of the bike very well, and the carbon-fiber-like, dark black appearance of the seat add an aesthetic richness to the bike that the flat gray stock seat did not.

EDIT: And since the bike itself is a relative new acquisition (got in at the beginning of April of this year), I'll throw a full pic of it up as well...taken on my trip home from the dealership, so it still has that original, unwieldly seat:

fjr1stweek.jpg
                        Last edited by RonClinton; 05-05-2017, 07:21 PM.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

I'll have to try and take some pictures, but my copy of Richard Adams's The Girl in the Swing from Centipede Press arrived today. I have no idea what this book is about but Watership Down is one of my most favorite books and I couldn't pass up the chance to add this book to my library.

It's a pretty nice looking edition.

And totally unrelated - did you all hear that White Noise Press is shutting down? Quite disappointing to learn today.

Plus I learned that Lagunitas Brewing sold out to Heineken as well. Sad, sad day.

But hey - I've lost four pounds running the last three weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                              I'll have to try and take some pictures, but my copy of Richard Adams's The Girl in the Swing from Centipede Press arrived today. I have no idea what this book is about but Watership Down is one of my most favorite books and I couldn't pass up the chance to add this book to my library.

It's a pretty nice looking edition.

And totally unrelated - did you all hear that White Noise Press is shutting down? Quite disappointing to learn today.

Plus I learned that Lagunitas Brewing sold out to Heineken as well. Sad, sad day.

But hey - I've lost four pounds running the last three weeks!
                              Where did you hear that White Noise Press is shutting down?

Comment

Their Facebook page.

I'm being special today and can't figure out an easy way to post the URL for the post - but it's the latest post on their page.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                Where did you hear that White Noise Press is shutting down?
                                Last edited by TacomaDiver; 05-06-2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X