Writer's Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig Wallwork View Post
    Are you thinking about next year, Draven? Richard will bend your ear about it at the writer's retreat, I have no doubt. It's a cool place, lots of wonderfully creative people. I got a lot out of it.
    I thought about it. Ultimately, I don't think I could commit to doing that many critiques.

Comment

I don't get writer's block as much as I get "writer's laze." Simply, I get lazy. If I'd just sit down and do the work, it'd come.

A trick I use to get writing is the creation of writing habits, or more precisely, writing rituals. My personal rituals involve getting a drink (coffee, iced coffee, beer, lemonade), checking my e-mail and social networking sites (so I'm not tempted to check while writing), and putting on some music. I used to also put on my "writing hat" (a fedora), and promise myself a cigarette when I was done with the day's work. I don't smoke anymore and the hat lost its magic.
      My Website

Comment

Best remedy for writer's block is a pick axe to the head. Now if only I could discover a cure for all of those holes! Just kidding. I take tons of notes about ideas, so anytime I get stale, I switch to a fresh topic. When that doesn't work I find a place that makes good dirty martinis. Hic!
        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
          Best remedy for writer's block is a pick axe to the head. Now if only I could discover a cure for all of those holes! Just kidding. I take tons of notes about ideas, so anytime I get stale, I switch to a fresh topic. When that doesn't work I find a place that makes good dirty martinis. Hic!
          Pretty much the same here. I have a backlog of ideas on sticky notes, in voice memos on my iphone, and notes in Word. More ideas than time, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mlouisdixon View Post
            How many people here have suffered from writer's block? How many people even believe it's real?
            There have been stretches of time when I was under incredible stress and I couldn't even think about writing, let alone sitting down in a chair and getting to it. I'm not sure I'd call it writers block because I didn't even try - maybe writers annihilation.

However, I have experience with wanting to write but being unable to generate anything on the page/screen. Doubt, nerves, inability to focus, the creeping horrible feeling it is all a waste of time...all of those get in the way.

Building support networks help a lot. I take writing classes to learn craft but also to interact with other writers. I helped organize two local writing critique groups and I regularly attend two others. Sharing the experience keeps me motivated. The inherent isolation of writing can be counter productive.

Switching up what I am reading also helps. Gardening seems to free my mind to think. So does going to the gym or taking the dog for a long walk.

Comment

My issue isn't that I can't write so I guess it isn't "writer's block". I must have "rewriter's block".

MLD

Comment

i don't believe in writer's block - if an idea is not working, then maybe it's a bad idea - sometimes we just need a boost of creative energy, i believe King talked about needing to read all the time, to constantly stimulate the imagination - so if you're feeling empty, go see some movies, listen to music, watch good tv, and read books by the masters in every possible genre - i think i've read about 30 novels already this year (partly because i do book reviews) and i read tons of short stories - if you write horror, by all means read the masters - King, Straub, Koontz (older stuff), Matheson, Barker, you name it - but also read SF, fantasy, noir, neo-noir, crime, mystery, thrillers, literary, steampunk, even YA - each genre can teach you something

and sometimes you just need to get off the computer and go out into the world - play sports, see a band, ride a bike, experience life since that leaks into your work as well

good luck!
                FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by mlouisdixon View Post
                  My issue isn't that I can't write so I guess it isn't "writer's block". I must have "rewriter's block".

MLD
                  i hear you on that - i hate editing, i just think of it as trimming the fat, or sculpting, so that you're taking away the part that is making your steak, or piece of art, anything less than what it should be - it's painful for sure
                  FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

When I have issues, it's generally because of me. I'm tired or not giving it my all. Sometimes when a story won't come to me, it's because it's not ready. I've learned to let them tell me when it's time.
                    http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

In English class (before school was out, obviously) when we were learning poems couplets, sonnets, etc. [Writer's Block] was what everyone talked about. I was always the first one done in my English class. For me writing is easy because I think of all of the things I like; for example when I had to write three couplets my topics were: The Beatles, Bella (My dog), and Stephen King. If you ever have writer's block just relate to things you like.

Comment

Working...
                      X