Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Acceptance thread

Senior Member Inmate RichardThomas's Avatar
    good news MLD, that's why it's always good to follow up with submissions and editors, things fall through the cracks all the time

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlouisdixon View Post
    I had my story The Wings of a Fly over at Dark Discoveries for many months. Back in March I sent a query because they had closed their submissions. I got a quick response telling me that they were just about to get to my story and that I’d hear from them in the next week or so. I never did.

When this competition came up, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. Turns out I’m going to be published by CD so it was a good call. I sent an email to Dark Discoveries letting them know that since I hadn’t heard back from them, I assumed my story was not accepted and I let them know that it has been accepted elsewhere.

I got a reply back immediately. As it turns out, my story was supposed to go to the “maybe” pile. They really like my writing. (very nice to hear) What happened was that instead of the notification being sent to me, it ended up going to their Administrator email. Basically, it fell through the cracks. The gist of it is that they want me to send something else and it won’t have to go to the bottom of the pile.

Now I gotta put something together over the long weekend. I have an idea that I think will work. I certainly hope that I work well under pressure. This is a first for me.

MLD
    That's great news, MLD! Good luck, and I'm sure, based on Wings, it'll be great. Let us know how it goes.

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    That's awesome news to have your writing praised by 2 good publishers. Gratz MLD!

Senior Member Inmate
    Yeah MLD, way to go! Congratulations and by the way which magazine or E-zine did you edit for? I can't find it in the threads andI know you told us once.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
    Yeah MLD, way to go! Congratulations and by the way which magazine or E-zine did you edit for? I can't find it in the threads andI know you told us once.
    Wasn't it Dark Recesses?

Okay-so this isn't an acceptance for a story, but it is acceptance in the most nerdy way! Jonathan Maberry just read my weekly blog where I posted it in a facebook writer's forum and he said he "Loved it!". This makes me feel giddy! Here's the link if you want to read it. http://www.cwlasart.com/?p=367

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed the_last_gunslinger's Avatar
    Is it bad if I don't know who Jonathan Maberry is?
    "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Just got word that my story "Fragments" will be part of the Twisted Library Press anthology Through the Eyes of the Undead II. Very psyched!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    Great Ken. And happy for you, Caren!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmosis7 View Post
    Just got word that my story "Fragments" will be part of the Twisted Library Press anthology Through the Eyes of the Undead II. Very psyched!
    Awesome! Congrats on this.

Senior Member Inmate
    Hey, way to go Cee Dub! And congratulations on your story publication OZMO! Excellent. Did anyone see my post about this parasite at The Horror Zine? Some guy stealing ideas and stories has me wondering who's reputable and who's not. Any reassuring feedback for the newby writers of the world?

Thanks! And Gratz Caren btw if I hadn't said so.

No, where this about Horror Zine? If they are stealing concepts, that can be plagiarism as well, and they should be reported to the HWA and everyone else out there. Stealing a story is without a lawsuit. Do you have links to any of this? Or did it happen to you? What was his name too? Because I am wondering if it is the same guy that has been doing this for a while.

Thanks! And Gratz Caren btw if I hadn't said so.

No, where this about Horror Zine? If they are stealing concepts, that can be plagiarism as well, and they should be reported to the HWA and everyone else out there. Stealing a story is without a lawsuit. Do you have links to any of this? Or did it happen to you? What was his name too? Because I am wondering if it is the same guy that has been doing this for a while.
    On the horror zine website they list a website and a person they allege steal peoples work. At least I think that's what this guy was talking about.

Ah, okay...found it. Ya that guy has several aliases and has stolen many stories. I know a few people that have had their stories stolen by him. Currently there is a lawsuit being pursued by a group I believe to put an end to it. Hopefully it keeps others from following in his footsteps.

WOW! Nice to see Koontz is getting involved. I know the guy also took the cover off of an activision game and used as a book cover. I am guessing he won't be happy down the road.

WOW! Nice to see Koontz is getting involved. I know the guy also took the cover off of an activision game and used as a book cover. I am guessing he won't be happy down the road.
    He sounds like a real scumbag! If all that is true I hope and pray he gets what he deserves. Everything is so freaking tough in this industry and having someone do what he does just makes me sick.

Congrats Ken! I tried looking into that Horror Zine thing but I got sidetracked-the story sounds familiar though. It is a scary thing, but I don't think it happens all that often if you stick to reputable sites. Use something like duotrope to help find places to submit.

Thanks Caren. Ya I don't think it happens too often either. Of all the things I have seen, this guy has been the majority of it. Here is a direct link reposted for those curious about this.

http://www.thehorrorzine.com/Beware/...lagiarist.html

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Thanks Caren. Ya I don't think it happens too often either. Of all the things I have seen, this guy has been the majority of it. Here is a direct link reposted for those curious about this.

http://www.thehorrorzine.com/Beware/...lagiarist.html
    The guy is such a dumbass! He left the name of the original author in the book, lol.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed mlouisdixon's Avatar
    Wow, I'm getting behind.
    Let's see...
    1. Yes it is Dark Recesses magazine that I'm editing. I just got confirmation today from our "spotlight" artist that he's on board. His art will be the cover and we'll be doing an interview and showing a bunch of his work. Love his stuff, but mum's the word for now.
    2. Cograts Ken on your acceptance. Way to go! Keep it up.
    3. Very cool C.W. It's nice to get that kind of recognition. Maybe you can work that into a blurb someday.
    4. This guy who rips off people's work is not typical. I wouldn't worry about putting stuff out there just because someone might rip it off. Just make sure you check out who you're subbing to first.

MLD