Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Thread

Senior Member Inmate
    Gosh, I want me one of them "editor" doo hickies.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
    Gosh, I want me one of them "editor" doo hickies.
    LOL-I'm fortunate, my friend went to school for it then decided to be a stay at home Mom, so she plays my second set of eyes, then there's the editors at the publisher.

Senior Member Inmate
    I could use about a six pack of them "publisher" doo dads as well, Cee Dub!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    I read an essay in the Writer's Handbook one year; and I'm pretty sure it was by Stephen King. He was talking about getting through your first draft and just plowing ahead with the story without worrying about checking reference materials. (i.e. if you don't know the capital of Paraguay? Just write Cleveland and fix it later). He mentioned not pulling down the thesaurus, in fact throw your thesaurus away! If you don't know the word already, then don't use it. That said, I wrote a story once (as an experiment) using the most high-falutin' (not looking up a better word right now) language I could. I wore out the Free Dictionary website, so as to avoid even repeating common words in the story. I re-read it recently, considering trying to cut it down for the Sharing Your Work thread, and found a few lines that I didn't understand anymore. KISS, as I'm sure Caren's editor would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
    I could use about a six pack of them "publisher" doo dads as well, Cee Dub!
    I hear ya! My stories for the anthology go through about 5-7 edits and rewrites before they are finished. It's exhausting and exhilirating at the same time!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    Terry, I think he mentioned that in On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

EDIT - the rest I've removed based on misreading the post, just as the little part of my brain should be removed that misreads posts.
    Last edited by Craig Wallwork; 06-21-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Senior Member Inmate
    Well, my beloved says that if I don't get something published this year she's going to start lighting the wood stove with my little darlings so... I must find a good home for these horphans ( ooh, I just made that up.) Horror orphans. There might be something workable there... hummmmmph

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    I read an essay in the Writer's Handbook one year; and I'm pretty sure it was by Stephen King. He was talking about getting through your first draft and just plowing ahead with the story without worrying about checking reference materials. (i.e. if you don't know the capital of Paraguay? Just write Cleveland and fix it later). He mentioned not pulling down the thesaurus, in fact throw your thesaurus away! If you don't know the word already, then don't use it. That said, I wrote a story once (as an experiment) using the most high-falutin' (not looking up a better word right now) language I could. I wore out the Free Dictionary website, so as to avoid even repeating common words in the story. I re-read it recently, considering trying to cut it down for the Sharing Your Work thread, and found a few lines that I didn't understand anymore. KISS, as I'm sure Caren's editor would agree.
    I totally get not using too many fifty-cent words, but when I feel that the word is valid and we aren't giving the reader credit, then I get ornery about it. There is a fine line between keeping it real and dumbing it down. I also wasn't ripping on my editors-they rock out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Wallwork View Post
    I tend to draw a lot from the Internet. Most of my stories lean toward fact, or medical anomalies, so it's difficult not to reference. Though, I love it when i can just write a story using my own knowledge and nothing more. Shame i don't know that much.
    Research and reference are fine, but the point he was making was to not alter the flow of your work to stop and look up something. All that stuff should be done before you start for the day, or after that day's draft. And my point was that I agree with avoiding the thesaurus.

Sorry. Edited.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    People won't know "hazing?" Really?

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    What about beautiful words you love to use? Words that aren't necessarily thesaurus words, but have a beauty in the written language. Like sapphire or radiant.

I love my editor a ton! She is FANTASTIC! This is one of the few things we disagree on, but it's okay. We always work it out. I like to come across words I don't know, I look them up and then I have learned something

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar
    I find myself not using many flourish-y words. I feel it obfuscates the story so much so that many may opt to defenestrate the book as opposed to completing it
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Quote Originally Posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    I find myself not using many flourish-y words. I feel it obfuscates the story so much so that many may opt to defenestrate the book as opposed to completing it
    Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    I like to come across words I don't know, I look them up and then I have learned something
    I like that, too. My favorite example is Nick Cave's "And the Ass Saw the Angel". I don't know if any of you have read it, but when I read it I wrote down the words I didn't know on a legal pad. There was a word I had never heard every couple pages. I thought the man had an incredible vocabulary or was extremely gifted at making up words, since all of them seemed to have proper roots to be English words. I eventually filled 4 pages on my legal pad and found very few of them in my dictionary. It wasn't until a year or so later, when I had access to the OED online for a while, that I discovered all of the words were real or at least derived properly from their etymological roots. Priceless. And an the book is a great read on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    I like that, too. My favorite example is Nick Cave's "And the Ass Saw the Angel".
    One of favourite books of all time. LOVED IT! his prose had its own rhythm, like it was a song that lasted 250 pages. Man, I could talk about that book till the cows come home. Sadly, it's late here in the UK and i have to be up at 5am. Still, thanks Terry for ending my night with a smile.

Agrees with the above..."And The Ass Saw The Angel" was fantastic...IS fantastic. Gorgeous language. I liked "The Death Of Bunny Monroe," but it wasn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    Sheesh-my editor digs me for using words like distended and hazing-says people won't know what they mean. Morsicant-they would die!
    I am planning to use it as a character name. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Draven Ames View Post
    What about beautiful words you love to use? Words that aren't necessarily thesaurus words, but have a beauty in the written language. Like sapphire or radiant.
    I'm partial to words that roll off the tongue in harmony with their meaning. I think that is the source of much of the beauty. Sapphire and radiant are two of them.

Others,

Cacophony rampage crescendo mesmerize repugnant